Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget rental insurance query

Options
  • 08-07-2019 4:56pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my wife and i got a rental car recently, to drive our inlaws around Mayo and Galway. There has been some damage to the car though, with both sides clipping a wall on a narrow road and parking garage. Car works fine, but both sides has some scratches and a small dent. We bought the Excess Reduction, which according to the site will mean we are not liable for any damage.
    Excess Reduction

This excess waiver provides peace of mind. The excess charge amounts that apply to Vehicle Damage Cover and Vehicle Theft Cover are reduced to zero, eliminating any financial liability in the event of vehicle theft or damage (excluding windscreen).

She was the named driver, and the one driving at the time. Before I contact Budget, I just want to make sure i'm correct in thinking that we will be fully covered by this, right? Not sure if there are any other provisions to rental cars, though i can't see anything in their T&C's or the email they sent us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Kiith wrote: »
    She was the named driver, and the one driving at the time. Before I contact Budget, I just want to make sure i'm correct in thinking that we will be fully covered by this, right?

Yes, according to the quote you provided, the excess was reduced to zero (because you paid for their topup cover) so you have no personal liability.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you rented the car yourself op and your wife is a named 2nd driver you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

She was the only named driver, so we should be fine. Just thought i'd double check with you savy folks first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

She was the only named driver....

You were asked if she was the 'named 2nd driver' and replied that she was the 'only named driver', do you mean she was the person named on the rental agreement i.e. she rented the car and nobody else was covered to drive it?

If 'yes', you're potentially confusing things by calling her the 'named driver'. If she rented the car and there was no 'additional driver' named on the agreement then she is the only driver and there is no need to call her a 'named driver'.

Sorry, she was the only driver. It was paid using my card, but her name is on all the actual documents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sorry, she was the only driver. It was paid using my card, but her name is on all the actual documents.

Subtly different but again I can't see an issue.

p.s. 2 separate accidents - bad luck of poor driving?

Big car, small country roads...so both? :P

Advertisement