Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lies and Deceit: Exposing Ginault's Illegal Past

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hadn't heard of any of those companies or people - but a good read all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Who better to make homage watches than someone proficient at making fakes:pac:

The same guy is responsible for this too.

"Ex-Harlequins Winger Jonas Mikalcius - £135'650 Fraud and His False Identities"

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=680327

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I think the irony of our lip smacking friend here exposing Ginault's shady, illegal and dirty past is hilarious. People in glass houses John..........

"Man with dodgy past produces crappy homage watches"...who am I talking about?...you would have to insert the word "successfully" in that sentence to differentiate them.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

The thread is a good read! Not even a little surprised. Wonder will Rolex take action?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think the irony of our lip smacking friend here exposing Ginault's shady, illegal and dirty past is hilarious. People in glass houses John..........

"Man with dodgy past produces crappy homage watches"...who am I talking about?...you would have to insert the word "successfully" in that sentence to differentiate them.:)

Wait, is this another mcmanus thing?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Tsung Chi was an established counterfeiter by that account, mcanus is just some clown scammin kickstarters and acting like a keyboard warrior on twitter.

Only thing they have in common is dishonesty and both being *****:)

My point would be that this chap Tsung Chi is going straight at the moment with the Ginault, but the watch community are bringing up his past. I dont think you could level any issue with Ginault you could not level at say steinhart except that steinhart are less expensive.

The irony is McAnus, who has by virtue of publishing over 100 watch videos in the last 6 weeks (manic episodes can be so productive) become a self proclaimed honest YouTube watch reviewer, is giving out about this chap Tsung Chi, when McAnus himself has the most dodgy of pasts, and has himself produced some cheap excrement pieces.

Personally I dont see any issue with Ginault, its a homage watch, nothing wrong with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The way the fakers are going at the moment it's a pretty scary future. It's bad enough now, but they're getting better and better at the fakes. God be with the days of cheap quartz Rolllex sold in Spanish resorts outa the back of rucksacks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The way the fakers are going at the moment it's a pretty scary future. It's bad enough now, but they're getting better and better at the fakes. God be with the days of cheap quartz Rolllex sold in Spanish resorts outa the back of rucksacks.

Totally, if you havent seen it already, see this video its totally mad, even the movement is replicated. But the watchfinder chap makes a great point at the end about why you get a quality watch in the first place and why you dont want a replica.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh sure Fg, but outside of guys actually into their watches, the more "casual" buyers of such things, they're more likely to be swayed by a fake. Yes the real deal will "feel" different, that reward her spoke of, but one big reason that there are fakes in the first place is they fake that reward to the vast majority of people who notice it, which is few anyway. If the buyers know it's a fake in the first place of course. That's a bigger worry.

Now Rolex and all the others that get faked can and will up their quality markers and the like and that will keep them one step ahead of the fakers, but if I had to mind to fake I'd be faking examples of models from 10 or 20 years ago, which would be much easier. And certainly with Rolex those go for as much or sometimes more than current models.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

My point would be that this chap Tsung Chi is going straight at the moment with the Ginault, but the watch community are bringing up his past. I dont think you could level any issue with Ginault you could not level at say steinhart except that steinhart are less expensive.

The irony is McAnus, who has by virtue of publishing over 100 watch videos in the last 6 weeks (manic episodes can be so productive) become a self proclaimed honest YouTube watch reviewer, is giving out about this chap Tsung Chi, when McAnus himself has the most dodgy of pasts, and has himself produced some cheap excrement pieces.

Personally I dont see any issue with Ginault, its a homage watch, nothing wrong with that.

I note he keeps using the phrase “excrement piece”........he is basically just trying to rip the phrase of the man who came up with “****ter”.

Surprised no one has called him out on YouTube. Can he control comments and delete as he wishes etc?

I really think that the toxic nature or social media and youtube will cause him to spiral, I hope he has some self realisation about that. He sounds inteligent enough and seems to know a good deal about watches, but there is nothing origional there and he is a bit of a cee you next tuesday....a lot of people myself included have been on the sharp end of his anger, and he needs to address his history before trying to gain the adulation and support of the public.

This Ginault thing is a bit of rubbish. Ok maybe the chap is using his skills as a replicator to make a nice watch now, but that doesnt really take from the Ginault brand. It actually looks a nice watch....expensive for a homage....but nice looking. I doubt there are not many in the watch business in Asia that are totally clean from the same dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The irony that a lot of the online hate towards Ginault at the moment is more in relation to Ginault pushing themselves as "Hand built in America" , rather than their "history" is more than a little funny imo.

AFAIK even Made in Switzerland watches only need 60% of the value carried out in Switzerland.

The movement and parts can be made anywhere, and the finishing and assembly can be carried out in Switzerland and labelled as Swiss as long as the value of assembly comes to 60%< and sure those Swiss watchmaking skills don't come cheap even for Lego type assembly ;)

On the topic of fakes and their ever improving quality.
    There really are some exceptionally good ones available, and even niche brands are being copied in near exact detail.
    Let alone Omega with cloned movements, Rolex or similar.
    TAG Calibre 5s can be gotten in near exact copy with the same movements as original.
    It's a scary time to be buying watches and with SS in particular, down to matching weights and case dimensions it really is becoming frightening to lay money out.

Advertisement