Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping splinters on logs

Options
  • 04-07-2019 8:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bit of an odd one, but is there something I can put on fire logs to reduce the chance of splinters coming off them?

I don’t want to change the look of them - So I’m not sure if there’s some kind of sealant, varnish etc that might do the trick

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are they purely decorative?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

are they purely decorative?

Yes - basically filling the fireplace with them but they’ll never be used... just want to make sure my curious toddler doesn’t end up full of splinters at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

A coat or two of sanding sealer will help but is not foolproof. Beech is traditionally used in children's toys as it doesn't splinter so scrounge some beech logs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

You'll need the patience of a saint to get through them all but a couple of coats of ordinary satin interior varnish should do the trick too, as long as you remove any lose splinters to begin with and sand off any sharp edges if the logs have been split into segments rather than being round. Needless to say any loose bark, grit and good old fashioned dirt will need to be brushed/vacuumed off first!

Advertisement