Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-05-2017, 10:48   #1

Am I mad?

I'm in my late 30's. Nearly permanent in the public sector (not very highly paid and heavy workload).

I am single, no children, have my own car, houseshare with an owner occupier and am all the while applying for promotions so not exactly sitting on my laurels as far as career is concerned.

The thing is I am just not happy here in Ireland. I lived abroad when I was a teenager and after a recent trip back for a few days just can't get it out of my head that I want to go back and try to make a life there permanently.

It's not a costa del sol situation, more Northern Spain and although I know the realities of the job prospects out there are not very good I am seriously considering completing a CELTA (Teaching English) Qualification in June in lieu of taking another 2 week sun holiday later in the year with a view to try and get a foot in the door to Spain come the Autumn.

I have my doubts too at my age I am thinking am I crazy to give what I have up but if it is not making me happy then is there any point in not trying.

Sorry for the long post but I would appreciate any thoughts or advice
Advertisement
21-05-2017, 22:22   #2
New Home

Could you take term-time or a career break and see how things go? That way you'd be better able to decide whether to make your choice permanent.
(2) thanks from:
21-05-2017, 22:39   #3
Danzy

Picture yourself there and in the job you have now, up a step or two or more.

You can be permanent and pensionable all you like but if you are miserable then what is the point.

The year or two out is a good way to find out but I think you already know what you want, just make sure you have a clear plan and have thought it out.

Good luck either way, you only have one life.
Thanks from:
18-08-2017, 15:49   #4
heretothere

What did you decide to do?
19-08-2017, 19:58   #5

Unfortunately nothing due to deteriorating health.
Advertisement
19-08-2017, 19:59   #6
heretothere

Oh I hope you feel better soon ❤
Thanks from:
19-08-2017, 20:03   #7

Thank you I am working very hard on recovery.
Thanks from:
19-08-2017, 20:27   #8
Danzy

Good to hear girl, will say a prayer for you.
Thanks from:
01-08-2018, 14:30   #9
stormthecastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by northgirl View Post
Thank you I am working very hard on recovery.
Its been a year. I hope you are healthy and recovered. How this thread read to you a year down the road?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-08-2018, 08:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormthecastle View Post
Its been a year. I hope you are healthy and recovered. How this thread read to you a year down the road?
Afraid not. I went away. It was an awful experience. Don't want to say to much on a public forum but things are worse now than before I left. I have no idea how to start to fix anything. I have a job (yes, a positive), nowhere stable to live and my family have let me down ferociously despite knowing what happened.

I am back in Pieta soon hopefully so not seeking any sympathy or otherwise here. Just an update.

Thanks for checking in.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion