Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-09-2016, 09:51   #16
Yelnahs

Very nice^^^ We bit the bullet this summer and painted our grey cinder block wall, took forever but made a huge difference
Advertisement
18-09-2016, 16:15   #17
Sparks

...and finished. Build log.
21-09-2016, 14:57   #18
Sparks

Found that if I tried to plane on the bench in its current location (up against the side wall of the shed), I'd run the #7 straight into the back wall of the shed. Way too close. $DAYJOB gives time off in lieu if you get called out-of-hours when on call and I got called at 0300 one day last week for three hours work, and then after work that day, got called again at 2300 for more work, and there was some time on the weekend too, so I get today off.
So, out to shed, pull everything out including spare tyres (don't ask) and a tumble drier (don't ask), moved the bench against the back wall so it had two feet between either end and the side walls. Knocked up a quick shelf for under the bench, and finished the last two panels of soundproofing (echo absorbers? still don't have a word for it) and moved everything back into the shed.

I really need to build that 8x4x2' shed for the lawnmower and patio furniture and garden tools and stuff, just to get more room in the shed for proper stuff.

Then I got the 8' boards that weren't fitting in the shed properly and just roughly broke them down (these are the ash, walnut and poplar boards for the sidecar cot project I'm trying to get done for xmas).

15 minutes work, stretched to an hour by sitting staring at the plans in my notebook trying to figure out how long I needed the rough-cut planks to be to not pineapple my design irreparably. I need to learn to work faster
But at least it's all tucked away in the shed relatively tidily now, and I can now work in there even when it's raining (instead of having to stack 8' boards outside in the rain which I didn't want to do really).
Need to fit the new stronger hinges and hasp on the door now (the ones there now wouldn't give me a lot of confidence about keeping opportunistic burglars out) and then I can start moving tools from boxes in the kitchen into the shed and getting on with things.
22-09-2016, 22:32   #19
Sparks

Reground the #4½ from 25 degrees to 40 degrees. That was a hell of a lot easier with the bench to clamp the bench grinder and sharpening stations into.
24-09-2016, 09:24   #20
kadman

Most recent woodwork topic for me, were these Yew hollow forms.
About 10 inches high by 5 inches diameter.

Advertisement
24-09-2016, 10:14   #21
Sparks

Damn, but that's pretty.
I'm busily trying to resaw an 8x1 ash board with a ryoba at the moment. If I can get two 3/8s boards out of it, I'll be happy. The ryoba (even the giant one I got) does not feel like its the best tool for this job. I need to get out my S&J and Diston saws today and resharpen them.
24-09-2016, 11:50   #22
magicbastarder

it's hollowing that deep which i can never seem to do. too much chatter/vibration with the gouge extended that far over the rest. maybe i just need heavier gouges.
24-09-2016, 20:24   #23
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
it's hollowing that deep which i can never seem to do. too much chatter/vibration with the gouge extended that far over the rest. maybe i just need heavier gouges.
I made up special deep hollowing jigs and tools to do this.
Strong gouges wont do. You will have to make special heavy long length
hollowing tools.

My deep hollowing tool is 5 feet long, and probably weighs 25+ lbs.
Along with steady jigs to run on the hollow form.

If you are ever in the area, you are welcome to call in.
Kettle is always on

These items were never collected at all, and have recently taken up residence in
the sitting room
Thanks from:
24-09-2016, 21:50   #24
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
If you are ever in the area, you are welcome to call in.
Kettle is always on
much appreciated, but i'd like to hone my talents a bit more before embarrassing myself in front of someone else!
Advertisement
24-09-2016, 22:37   #25
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
much appreciated, but i'd like to hone my talents a bit more before embarrassing myself in front of someone else!
Call in for a chat, and a look at what I made for the tools.
Not work related at all. Might be something that helps you out.
Deep hollow forms are a new thing for me too, I,m just venturing
out on it.

If i can help at all, let me know. I,m in the midlands .
25-09-2016, 10:18   #26
delaney001

Friend gave me a block of wood so turned this yesterday. Not sure of the species? Anyone familiar.

Last edited by delaney001; 25-09-2016 at 11:15.
(3) thanks from:
25-09-2016, 18:38   #27

I finally got around to staining my outdoor table today. Also stuck a couple of horizontal pieces between the legs to stabilise it. Turned out pretty nice, happy with it given all the problems I had to overcome with it!

Also put a stain on a narrow hall table that I had built for my sister. Happy enough with that too.

Got rid of both pieces today, so there's a bit more room to move in the shed now! Onto the next project... not sure what that will be yet
(2) thanks from:
26-09-2016, 23:31   #28

Think I'm gonna do a nest of tables for my next project... Something like this would be quite cool!

Thanks from:
26-09-2016, 23:52   #29
Sparks

My next project...

Thanks from:
27-09-2016, 08:46   #30
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaney001 View Post

Friend gave me a block of wood so turned this yesterday. Not sure of the species? Anyone familiar.
Larger image wont load for me, but it looks like ash from the thumbnail.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion