Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Religion is...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The next useful question to ask is what do you mean by "religion" considering it's a generic word to describe many differing creeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Religion is about making other people feel bad for how they choose to live their lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I didn't know crime call was still on the go!

Is it gone? Has all the crime vanished then?

I really must change the channel off BBC 4 every now and then so I can keep abreast of current TV trends :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

philologos wrote: »
    The next useful question to ask is what do you mean by "religion" considering it's a generic word to describe many differing creeds?

Why don't you start off by telling us what you understand by the term? It would be in keeping with the title of the thread! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Snotzenfartz

fat

• Advertisement

I think it's a general term for an organised belief system in some overarching power or purpose to the universe.

Now these systems vary greatly. Meaning we can't say anything meaningful about them until we refer to specifics.

Religion can be absolutely atrocious in some cases. To discuss it properly you can't really tar all with the same brush as they are fundamentally different.

I think it's a general term for an organised belief system in some overarching power or purpose to the universe.

Now these systems vary greatly. Meaning we can't say anything meaningful about them until we refer to specifics.

Religion can be absolutely atrocious in some cases. To discuss it properly you can't really tar all with the same brush as they are fundamentally different.

I agree to an extent but would expand on 'a general term for an organised belief system in some overarching power or purpose to the universe' as follows

: it's a general term for an organised belief system in some overarching power or purpose to the universe which requires believers to conform to specific doctrines and views non-believers as either lesser or in need of evangelism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Religion is?

proof that homo sapiens as a species aren't nearly as smart as we'd like to think we are.

An embarrassment really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Did you opine about Free Will?
    No, but I did invoke the name of the Creator. Quite loudly.

If religion is an organised belief system in an overarching power or purpose to the universe, are they not then all fundamentally the same? Can you give som examples in how they vary greatly? I mean, surely the vast majority of world religions hold that the universe is created by a deity or deities, and that humans depend on and are beholden to these deities? And that rejecting or otherwise displeasing these deities has serious repercussions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Is it gone? Has all the crime vanished then?

Of course crime has vanished. Without a god to tell us what is right and wrong we're free to make up our own morality so there's no such thing as crime any more. At least I think I've read that argument somewhere recently here. :pac:

robindch wrote: »

Let's hope it's been deleted so or we could be seeing it soon on YouTube under the title 'Atheist recants and acknowledges existence of deity' then we will all be accused of believing :eek:.

robindch wrote: »

And did Zarquon actually appear?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

koth wrote: »
    So Sam Harris is now posting on this forum and 3 forum regulars have appeared on TV without telling us?

Well what guys like this say is Gospel dont you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

jank wrote: »

It's possible, but only if the "guys like this" were telling the story of the life of one Mr.Jesus Christ. So, unlikely I'd say.

pauldla wrote: »

If religion is an organised belief system in an overarching power or purpose to the universe, are they not then all fundamentally the same? Can you give som examples in how they vary greatly? I mean, surely the vast majority of world religions hold that the universe is created by a deity or deities, and that humans depend on and are beholden to these deities? And that rejecting or otherwise displeasing these deities has serious repercussions?
    No they aren't for example Buddhism and Hinduism differ radically from Christianity. Christianity is even radically different from Islam as I've found out over the last few months from getting to know many Muslims in my local area. Jainism is different from Judaism. They all have major differences. As a result all need to be considered individually. Buddhism (with the exception of Theravada Buddhism) as you know doesn't even have a deity, that's why I included purpose in my definition.

Banging on about how bad "religion" is is meaningless without dealing with them specifically. I won't defend "religion" as a whole because I'm interested in defending Christianity from misconceptions.

No they aren't for example Buddhism and Hinduism differ radically from Christianity. Christianity is even radically different from Islam as I've found out over the last few months from getting to know many Muslims in my local area. Jainism is different from Judaism. They all have major differences. As a result all need to be considered individually. Buddhism (with the exception of Theravada Buddhism) as you know doesn't even have a deity, that's why I included purpose in my definition.

Banging on about how bad "religion" is is meaningless without dealing with them specifically. I won't defend "religion" as a whole because I'm interested in defending Christianity from misconceptions.

I'll have to bow to your superior grasp of the fundamental differences between the different religions, Philo, as I assumed in my innocence that all religions were preoccupied with some form of worship of transcendent supernatural force or forces. Can I ask you to expand on the fundamental differences you see between them?

jank wrote: »

It is???

Lads, I'm getting mightily sick of not getting the memos from Atheist HQ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Rheo

Religion is like a clown. It's not all that funny, but it's pretty hard to take it seriously.

Although, much like a clown, it will kill you given half the opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Rheo wrote: »
    Religion is like a clown. It's not all that funny, but it's pretty hard to take it seriously.

Although, much like a clown, it will kill you given half the opportunity.

Ha :D I like that definition. Clowns can be sinister alright. Very apt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

Religion is a family of horribly resistant memetic viruses. There are many virulent strains, although most are variations of Christianity and Islam. The young are particularly vulnerable as they can catch it from their parents before their immune systems have developed fully. Some western societies have developed a partial resistance over the last few hundred years, but in under-developed countries with poor mental health regimes, these viruses flourish. These viruses compromise the brains of their hosts, modifying their behaviour to spread the virus further and to attack competing viruses. A cure is not always possible, as the virus turns the victim's brain against itself. Extreme cases can even lead to the death of the host.

A program of immunization for young children would be ideal but is currently unlikely as the educational system itself, along with large parts of the adult population, have already been infected.

Religion is God's way of convincing smart people that he doesn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭housetypeb

And dumb people that he does?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Harsh view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,458 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Religion has tons of good advice on how to live your life. If you're a semitic goat herder from 2-4000 years ago who doesn't mind killing your first born son for the craic.

Scrap the cap!

megafan wrote: »
    John Lennon - Imagine (official video) - YouTube

I have to say, that planted the seed in my catholic indoctrinated kneeling down hands together prayer rabbiting little kid's brain.

Thank you John Lennon. It was the year after you died.

"Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too" amen ;) brother.

Although I did mishear the third verse

"No need for greed or hunger, or Brotherhood Of Man"

Save all your kisses for me...

Scrap the cap!

Religion is man's way of convincing people that smart doesn't exist.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 colconnolly

Dear Sacred Heart of Jesus in the past I have asked for many favours. This time I ask this special one (mention). Take it Dear sacred Heart of Jesus and place it with your own broken heart where your Father sees it. Then in his merciful eyes it will become your prayer and not mine Amen. (say this prayer for three days promise publication and favour will be granted. Never known to fail CC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dear Sacred Heart of Jesus in the past I have asked for many favours.
    Does the Sacred Heart of Jesus help with grammar, punctuation and orthography?

Advertisement