Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-02-2016, 21:03   #31
Mafra

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecleary View Post
I bought my boot during the summer and most boots in S&R had heat molding shells, the boots i bought didn't fit too great before molding, 30 min later and its like putting on a tailored suit.
I rented a pair of boots in Switzerland and really liked them. I asked if they would sell them to me but they asked a lot of money, considering they were 2 yr old model, which I wouldn't mind as they were in fantastic condition.(I googled the price and they were much cheaper new).
So now I'm finding trouble finding the same model as they have been replaced or updated.
I'm wondering should I go back and pay for the ones I liked and was comfortable in or go and have a pair fitted?
I'm just worried that I'll have to break in a new pair (or they break me in) and what if they're not as good? I've only ever rented and never had them properly or custom fitted.
Any advice please??
Advertisement
13-02-2016, 01:50   #32
stecleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafra View Post
I rented a pair of boots in Switzerland and really liked them. I asked if they would sell them to me but they asked a lot of money, considering they were 2 yr old model, which I wouldn't mind as they were in fantastic condition.(I googled the price and they were much cheaper new).
So now I'm finding trouble finding the same model as they have been replaced or updated.
I'm wondering should I go back and pay for the ones I liked and was comfortable in or go and have a pair fitted?
I'm just worried that I'll have to break in a new pair (or they break me in) and what if they're not as good? I've only ever rented and never had them properly or custom fitted.
Any advice please??
I'll start off by saying my knowledge of boot fitting is zero, I've rented for years and always had mixed feelings about the boots I got. I decided to buy my own so I'd have a consistent feeling about them. I was told in snow and rock moulding pretty much takes the breaking in our of buying boots, I've used mine once since getting them and had no pains using them, I had to play around on how tight to have them for a bit but once I found where I needed to be they were grand. With out a doubt the best boots I've ever worn
16-02-2016, 14:42   #33
olaola

I bought my boots in MacSki a few years ago, due to being pregnant over one ski holiday, have only been able to use them twice. The second time I had lost a few kgs, and the problem I had (which really drove the purchase of my own boots) was really thick calves! Now, I only went from a size 12 to a 10, but my legs have changed shape. Any recommendations on what I could do? My foot seems to move around a bit too much now.
16-02-2016, 15:00   #34
Northern Monkey

I had my one and only week ruined last year due to ankle pain from pressure put on the bone by the boots pressing on it on my first day. I took the boots to snow and rock after I came back and they suggested a footbed and remould of the boots/liner, which I got done and thought nothing more of it until this week (heading away on Saturday). stuck the boots on last night and can instantly feel pressing on the ankle. I don't want to ruin another week with them, so should I bring them with me and hope to get them looked at in resort or sack them off and buy/rent a new pair when I get there?
16-02-2016, 15:17   #35
olaola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I had my one and only week ruined last year due to ankle pain from pressure put on the bone by the boots pressing on it on my first day. I took the boots to snow and rock after I came back and they suggested a footbed and remould of the boots/liner, which I got done and thought nothing more of it until this week (heading away on Saturday). stuck the boots on last night and can instantly feel pressing on the ankle. I don't want to ruin another week with them, so should I bring them with me and hope to get them looked at in resort or sack them off and buy/rent a new pair when I get there?
I'd say go back to Snow & Rock? Not sure what their policy is, but I know MacSki will help you resolve your boots, no matter how long ago you bought them. Usually a footbed will help sort out any pressing on an ankle. Could it be too high? Maybe shove another one in to see if that helps too?

Ah Crap! I just realised that MacSki have closed!!

Last edited by olaola; 16-02-2016 at 15:24.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-02-2016, 16:17   #36
Northern Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaola View Post
I'd say go back to Snow & Rock? Not sure what their policy is, but I know MacSki will help you resolve your boots, no matter how long ago you bought them. Usually a footbed will help sort out any pressing on an ankle. Could it be too high? Maybe shove another one in to see if that helps too?

Ah Crap! I just realised that MacSki have closed!!
Getting the time now is the problem. For me to take a week off work means doing 3 weeks work the week before, so it will be late nights for me all this week.
16-02-2016, 19:04   #37
Fattes

McSki closed last year
16-02-2016, 19:54   #38
olaola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Getting the time now is the problem. For me to take a week off work means doing 3 weeks work the week before, so it will be late nights for me all this week.
A boot shop in the resort might help? Esp if you're renting skis from them? Did you get little plastic 'lifts' in the box with your boots? Might be worth fiddling around at home to find the right height for your ankle in the boot. Even pop in some cardboard just to get an idea. Start with nothing in and start adding layers until it hits the sweet spot.
16-02-2016, 20:59   #39
Fattes

Do not fiddle with your own, boots, do not put cardboard in them, go to a proper boot fitter, even with my experience and knowledge I still couldn't get my own boots right. Even with a top class fitter it takes a good few hours to get them right.
Advertisement
16-02-2016, 21:01   #40
olaola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattes View Post
Do not fiddle with your own, boots, do not put cardboard in them, go to a proper boot fitter, even with my experience and knowledge I still couldn't get my own boots right. Even with a top class fitter it takes a good few hours to get them right.
Don't put insoles into your own boots? Or cardboard to see if an extra pair of insoles would help?? What's gonna happen? Spontaneous combustion?
16-02-2016, 21:43   #41
Fattes

Strain on your arches, alignment so poor it will put pressure on your ankle, knees and hip joints, that cause lasting damage, strain on ligaments and tendons The foot has 26 bones, 20 articulated joints, But you know I am sure like me you have some training in boot fitting or knowledge of how to properly align a ski boot to a customer that could have various complications by diagnosing it via the internet.

The only people that should be giving advise to people is a qualified boot fitter with the relevant tools, and knowledge to best fit and adjust the boot the the customers needs. The above described symptoms, could be solved by boot canting, sole planing, cuff alinement or shell modification.
16-02-2016, 21:44   #42
Steve
Life is hard, deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaola View Post
What's gonna happen? Spontaneous combustion?
Broken leg or worse.

Loss of control because your boots aren't right is a risk I wouldn't take.
17-02-2016, 07:12   #43
Fattes

This sums it up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.0 KB, 78 views)
17-02-2016, 13:45   #44
olaola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattes View Post
Strain on your arches, alignment so poor it will put pressure on your ankle, knees and hip joints, that cause lasting damage, strain on ligaments and tendons The foot has 26 bones, 20 articulated joints, But you know I am sure like me you have some training in boot fitting or knowledge of how to properly align a ski boot to a customer that could have various complications by diagnosing it via the internet.

The only people that should be giving advise to people is a qualified boot fitter with the relevant tools, and knowledge to best fit and adjust the boot the the customers needs. The above described symptoms, could be solved by boot canting, sole planing, cuff alinement or shell modification.
WHERE did I say 'Go and ski with cardboard in your boots'????

Do you actually read any posts before commenting on them?

The fellow doesn't have time to get his boots refitted in Snow & Rock (see, I actually READ his post) and I thought that maybe, offering him some advice, instead of trolling the post looking for something to moan about might be a better use of my time.
17-02-2016, 13:46   #45
olaola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Broken leg or worse.

Loss of control because your boots aren't right is a risk I wouldn't take.
I never suggested he skis with cardboard in his boots. Please read the post before commenting.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion