Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Good to see Nathan Doak in training with seniors for pre season, should take over from cooney in 2-3 years

Clearly highly rated by UR.

Have you seen him play?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Clearly highly rated by UR.

Have you seen him play?

Yeah he’s very good, equally as good at 10 as he is at 9. Played 2 years at Irish schools, one at 9 and one at 10.. will be guaranteed an academy deal straight out of school

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He still has another year at school?

That's impressive if he is training with the seniors. Similar to Sexton I suppose.

One thing to do it as a winger, more impressive to be doing it as a half back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I think that might say more about our situation at 9, rather than how how good he is tbh.

I think that might say more about our situation at 9, rather than how how good he is tbh.

Considering bar this years u20 ulster have had Irish internationals at u18 and 19s would suggest future is bright and Stewart was Irish 20s the last two years. Doak ahead of Lewis Finlay by looks of it who by all accounts could be the starting Irish 20s 9 next year

• Advertisement

Considering bar this years u20 ulster have had Irish internationals at u18 and 19s would suggest future is bright and Stewart was Irish 20s the last two years. Doak ahead of Lewis Finlay by looks of it who by all accounts could be the starting Irish 20s 9 next year
    Haven’t been impressed with Stewart, makes a few howlers and passing wasn’t too sharp or accurate. I liked what little I saw of Finlay, but a poster on uafc mentioned Rhys O’Donnell is ahead of him at Ballynahinch.

I reckon 9 has just been identified as a problem position for the future, as we’ve our spent money on other positions, so we’re in need of homegrown talent. There aren’t too many spare 9’s knocking about the other provinces, so I think the coaches might be trying to get the next prospect up to speed as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Nathan Doak is a pretty useful goal kicker. I've seen him play at Wallace HS at OT and he can control a game which IMHO Billy Burns can't.

Haven’t been impressed with Stewart, makes a few howlers and passing wasn’t too sharp or accurate. I liked what little I saw of Finlay, but a poster on uafc mentioned Rhys O’Donnell is ahead of him at Ballynahinch.

I reckon 9 has just been identified as a problem position for the future, as we’ve our spent money on other positions, so we’re in need of homegrown talent. There aren’t too many spare 9’s knocking about the other provinces, so I think the coaches might be trying to get the next prospect up to speed as soon as possible.

What club does Stewart play for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

It will be interesting to see how Hinch go next year. Only Ulster team in 1A, hopefully they will get support of the Pro's and use the league to grow a few good youngsters. I assume that Ulster Rugby will want Hinch to stay in 1A

Nathan Doak is a pretty useful goal kicker. I've seen him play at Wallace HS at OT and he can control a game which IMHO Billy Burns can't.

IMHO ND is a better 10 than 9. See above plus no threat at 9. Good kicker and passer though.

• Advertisement

What club does Stewart play for?

Banbridge I think

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how Hinch go next year. Only Ulster team in 1A, hopefully they will get support of the Pro's and use the league to grow a few good youngsters. I assume that Ulster Rugby will want Hinch to stay in 1A

With the Celtic cup running for the 8 weeks if they are dependant on ulster players It will be a short stay in 1A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

With the Celtic cup running for the first 8 weeks of the Ail season if they are dependant on ulster players It will be a short stay in 1A

I am aware, but still, UR should do all that it can to help Hinch if possible. I still find it strange that 1A is so Dublin centric. No Connacht club and only one from Ulster. I'd like that to change

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Good to see Nathan Doak in training with seniors for pre season, should take over from cooney in 2-3 years
    would hold on building him too much. Still in school. Never played open grade rugby yet.
    that's both out on doak and very unfair on burns. Doak is good at school boy level but would wait til hes seen at AIL level and A level etc before talking him up that much...
    only 6 pros a match squad and you can be better off with a regular squad than pros dropping in out each week.
    I am aware, but still, UR should do all that it can to help Hinch if possible. I still find it strange that 1A is so Dublin centric. No Connacht club and only one from Ulster. I'd like that to change
    not that strange. Was very Limerick centric for years as well. Connacht clubs cant keep players for work in the area... same with many Munster clubs. Look at many Dublin club team sheets. And Ulster clubs have always in general under performed in the AIL.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/ulster%27s-new-recruit-struck-with-long-term-injury/617603

Ulster's new front row recruit Gareth Milasinovich has been dealt a cruel blow ahead of the new season after he suffered a knee injury in pre-season training that will delay his debut for the club.

The prop, who arrived at Ulster from Premiership club Worcester Warriors, will now miss nine months after undergoing surgery to repair what has been confirmed by Ulster as an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster have had absolutely no luck when signing backup props in the last few years. Awful news.

First and foremost a huge blow for the player himself. He was probably one of the less heralded new signings, but I'm sure was desperate to hit the ground running to make an impression. To miss 9 months is a massive blow. The only minor positive is that the season starts and ends late so he could be available come the last couple of months of the campaign.

For Ulster it's a blow because it seems as though he could play both sides of the scrum, so while he was never likely to be first choice, his versatility would have been important.

Let's hope that's an end to these nasty injuries.

Coetzee on the bench for SA against Australia this weekend.

Great news for Marcel, maybe not so great for us, but I suppose it's an indication of how well he has played for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

bilston wrote: »
    Coetzee on the bench for SA against Australia this weekend.

Great news for Marcel, maybe not so great for us, but I suppose it's an indication of how well he has played for us.

Well deserved! Sets the stall and gives Dan preseason to work/focus with our young back row options in his absence.

So it looks like our back rows to choose from at the start of the season will be...

Matthew Rea
    Sean Reidy
    Clive Ross
    Nick Timoney
    Greg Jones
    David O'Connor
    Marcus Rea

Obviously it would be nice to see Hall, McCann and Allison involved as well...maybe in pre season

• Advertisement

Great news on Coetzee. Having a back rower on the books who is part of a current Springbok setup is a a great bit of business after a rocky start. Hope he comes back fit and firing after a quarter final loss to Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

So it looks like our back rows to choose from at the start of the season will be...

Matthew Rea
    Sean Reidy
    Clive Ross
    Nick Timoney
    Greg Jones
    David O'Connor
    Marcus Rea

Obviously it would be nice to see Hall, McCann and Allison involved as well...maybe in pre season

McCann has another year at U20s - surely he won't make an appearance? Think our best row out of that lot is Mattie Rea, Reidy and Timoney. Would like to see Hall get another crack.

Matthew Rea
    Sean Reidy
    Clive Ross
    Nick Timoney
    Greg Jones
    David O'Connor
    Marcus Rea

Don’t forget dunleavy aswell he will be ahead of McCann and Allison

Matthew Rea
    Sean Reidy
    Clive Ross
    Nick Timoney
    Greg Jones
    David O'Connor
    Marcus Rea

Not the most inspiring backrow, I'm really hoping Matt Rea and Timoney can find that extra gear this year - they both had a couple of games where they showed they were capable of it. Allison looked off the pace a bit at the JWC, his lack of game time this year really showed and didn't look back to full fitness. McCann is u19 so I wouldn't expect him to see the pitch tbh. Really pulling for Hall though, it would be heartbreaking if the lad can't get a proper crack at it because of injuries at that age.

Not the most inspiring backrow, I'm really hoping Matt Rea and Timoney can find that extra gear this year - they both had a couple of games where they showed they were capable of it. Allison looked off the pace a bit at the JWC, his lack of game time this year really showed and didn't look back to full fitness. McCann is u19 so I wouldn't expect him to see the pitch tbh. Really pulling for Hall though, it would be heartbreaking if the lad can't get a proper crack at it because of injuries at that age.

I wouldn't judge Allison on the JWC. He had a stop start tournament because of an HIA and had his injury problems prior to that. Probably not unlike Hume or Lowry the year before.

I wouldn't judge Allison on the JWC. He had a stop start tournament because of an HIA and had his injury problems prior to that. Probably not unlike Hume or Lowry the year before.

Agreed. He is v quick for a BR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

U18 clubs/schools side play Americans at 1pm today.

U18 clubs/schools side play Americans at 1pm today.

36 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

36 10

Any idea of team?

Advertisement