Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair Transplant Experiences

• 12-10-2018 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I know this topic has been covered before but it's been a while and I'm looking for some more recent info.

I'm aware that you can't provide medical advice but I'm just looking for anyone who may have had a FUE transplant with either Dr. Koray Erdogan or Dr. Hakan Doganay, to share their experience, or even drop me a message.

Strongly thinking of going with either of the above but looking for some more comfort before I decide!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 wd2ks10iht9jr6

I went to Dr Acar in Cosmedica on the 1st November. I got 4900 graphs. They were a pleasure to deal with. Any other questions let me know buddyðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Evenro

Hi Trek Man
    I am looking at going to Turkey to get a hair transplant. I am looking at getting a FUE procedure. Can i ask did you have to get your head fully shaved for your hair transplant ? and if so how long afterwards did it take to recover in terms of being able to return to work etc without any signs of redness etc. I want to get a hair transplant without getting my head fully shaven so any advance about this would be great in terms of recovery etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Wayne Ronney went bald as a coot again after his hair transplant. Wonder are these procedures worthb the money but ironically his football was also suffering at the same time.

Hey Evenro, there are 2 types of surgery you can go for for a hair transplant. There is FUE and FUT. FUT can be done without shaving the whole head, just an incision at the back of head which will leave a scar, FUE can also be done without shaving the whole head but surgeons recommend shaving the whole head as there is a better success rate. Where I got my Transplant they shave the whole head. I usually have a tight enough hair cut. I took 3 weeks off work and nothing was said to me. Looked like I just shaved my head. Regarding the redness it can stay around for quite some time but will mainly begone after 6 weeks.after 3 weeks or so all the transplanted hairs falls out but starts to grow back in the 3 month mark, and full results take up to 18 months. I am 10 weeks post op on Friday and see a few bits of stubble coming through. Trust me when I say I would defo go for the shaved head FUE, best results I think. All the surgeons recommend it. I dealt with Mike Smith in getmorehair.UK. the consultant for cosmedica and a very sound fella. Any other questions let me knowðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

david_1888 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I know this topic has been covered before but it's been a while and I'm looking for some more recent info.

I'm aware that you can't provide medical advice but I'm just looking for anyone who may have had a FUE transplant with either Dr. Koray Erdogan or Dr. Hakan Doganay, to share their experience, or even drop me a message.

Strongly thinking of going with either of the above but looking for some more comfort before I decide!

Hi David. I had an operation with Dr Doganay in 2015, so feel free to PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Evenro wrote: »
    Hi Trek Man
    I am looking at going to Turkey to get a hair transplant. I am looking at getting a FUE procedure. Can i ask did you have to get your head fully shaved for your hair transplant ? and if so how long afterwards did it take to recover in terms of being able to return to work etc without any signs of redness etc. I want to get a hair transplant without getting my head fully shaven so any advance about this would be great in terms of recovery etc

They only need to shave wherever the grafts will be implanted. So in my case, my temples were shaved but not the whole head. I could be misremembering (as this is different to the previous poster) but I think most of the redness was gone for me after two weeks. Then hair still really growing back after 6 months and looked great after 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭david_1888

Thanks all for the messages.

I've actually decided to book in with a Dublin clinic and I'll be getting the procedure done next week.

Unfortunately my donor site isn't strong enough to get all of what I want done so will be getting the front temple areas done.

The reasons why I didn't end up going with Turkey is because (after sending all the relevant photos of the hair) one clinic said that I didn't have enough on the donor site to have the full procedure done and the other said I did, so was slightly concerned with conflicting info. Between that and the price being a lot cheaper than expected to get it done here.

Will share the experience after next week's procedure if anyone is looking for more information on it.

Thanks again!

Good man David. I hope it works out well for you. I hope you are going to a reputable company that transplants by the follicle and not by the hair? There are companies out there that transplant by the hair and results are not good. I looked into this. Companies in Ireland that give cheap transplants transplant by the hair. Don't get me wrong they can be good in the end but could cost a fortune in the end. Anyways best of look David and I hope it works out well for you.ðŸ‘

Hope David.
    Many people that travel over to Turkey get hair transplanted from their beard onto their head. That's if they have a average donar area. They did that to me on the Crown area.Anyways just thought I would let us know. I hope Dublin works out for you but you should really ask them do they transplant by the graft or hair. Very very Important.

Hi David.
    Did u go for your procedure? I hope it went well for youðŸ‘

• Advertisement

Thanks Trek Man,

I had the procedure done today, got in at 7.30am and was finished by about half 12 or so between the paperwork, break and procedure.

All looks to have went very well. Procedure itself went fine. Only sore part is the initial couple of anaesthetic injections going into the donor site and the transplant site. Other than that there was no too much discomfort.

When I went to get off the bed at the end I felt very dizzy and faint but sat back down for a couple of minutes and felt back to normal after that.

I'll throw a photo up now of the post procedure.

I wasn't aware that some places do the procedure by hair and not graft. I got 2500 hairs placed anyway.

Having trouble trying to get the file down below the size limit for this forum.

Will try get some up later or in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Thanks Trek Man,

I had the procedure done today, got in at 7.30am and was finished by about half 12 or so between the paperwork, break and procedure.

All looks to have went very well. Procedure itself went fine. Only sore part is the initial couple of anaesthetic injections going into the donor site and the transplant site. Other than that there was no too much comfort.

When I went to get off the bed at the end I felt very dizzy and faint but sat back down for a couple of minutes and felt back to normal after that.

I'll throw a photo up now of the post procedure.

I wasn't aware that some places do the procedure by hair and not graft. I got 2500 hairs placed anyway.

How much did you pay?

FUE or FUT?

What Norwood are you?

Mike9832 wrote: »
    How much did you pay?

FUE or FUT?

What Norwood are you?

4k for the fue type procedure.

Think a 3 vertex or 4!

Think a 3 vertex or 4!

I need crown area done also but donor site not strong enough at present.

Will revisit in about 12 months or so to see if I can get a light cover on the area.

Think a 3 vertex or 4!

That's pretty good for here

What clinic/doctor did you get?

Are you on Finastride/ hair medication?

Congrats David. I hope you have great results. Post some pics when u have a chance.more and more people getting transplants these daysðŸ‘

Congrats David. I hope you have great results. Post some pics when u have a chance.more and more people getting transplants these daysðŸ‘

True

Worlds strongest man Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson got one recently, all 6'9 and 200kg of him

This is a photo from last night.

Will try get some clearer ones today and put them up when the 5 month old gives me a chance!

I got about an inch each side of the temple.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    That's pretty good for here

What clinic/doctor did you get?

Are you on Finastride/ hair medication?

I went to Ailesbury hair loss clinic. I assume I'm ok to post name of place, if not, mods feel free to remove.

Regarding medication, Ailesbury doesn't recommend Finastride or Minoxidil due to the side effects. They recommended me DHT blockers to take.

I'm also starting to use Regaine foam with 5% minoxidil and Viviscal hair growth tablets so will see in a few months if they are helping if at all.

I will probably be having one more child in the near future so just slightly hesitant in taking finestride or minoxidil for the moment.

Although I was talking to a guy who is taking minoxidil but breaking a tablet into quarters and taking a quarter tablet every second day to reduce the potential side effects so I might look into that.

Has anyone else taken either of the above and has experienced any of the side effects from them?

• Advertisement

Donor site just washed and looks to be neat and healing well

• Registered Users Posts: 3 M1JD

Hi David,

I’m looking to get hair Transplant as soon as possible . I’ve got a few quotes etc from clinics in turkey but is difficult to know who is genuine and who to trust because a few have come back with conflicting details. If there was a genuine clinic that came recommended by genuine patients who had a good experience It would make the decision a lot easier! I’m based in Kilkenny , are you able to let me know who you went with in Dublin? . Maybe send me a PM ? Thanks

Hey, I got my Transplant done in Turkey and not Dublin. Almost 4 months on and very pleased the way things are going.any questions let me knowðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,409 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I went to Ailesbury hair loss clinic. I assume I'm ok to post name of place, if not, mods feel free to remove.

Regarding medication, Ailesbury doesn't recommend Finastride or Minoxidil due to the side effects. They recommended me DHT blockers to take.

I'm also starting to use Regaine foam with 5% minoxidil and Viviscal hair growth tablets so will see in a few months if they are helping if at all.

I will probably be having one more child in the near future so just slightly hesitant in taking finestride or minoxidil for the moment.

Although I was talking to a guy who is taking minoxidil but breaking a tablet into quarters and taking a quarter tablet every second day to reduce the potential side effects so I might look into that.

Has anyone else taken either of the above and has experienced any of the side effects from them?

Ailesbury love the half circle hairline look, I personally could not get that look. Why did you not get whole temples restored?
    I prefer this type of hareline
    Capture5432.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭20/20

david_1888 Hi and hope all goes well for you.
    I am also going to the same clinic next week where you had your treatment.

Is there any chance you could post two new photos of front and back please.?
    Is that your normal hair length or what size blade is your hair cut at ?
    Did they suggest a time frame before you go back to work.?

I am getting 4000 grafts as this is the most they will do in a session and it will be mostly on the front and one side of my head.
    The reason for the one side is because I was badly scalded over 45 years ago and just thought I may as well give this treatment a try before I get to old.
    I know I didn't do much research into this at the time, and its to late to back out before next week but Iam beginning to think the 4000 grafts will be nowhere near enough compared to your 2500. So if you didn't mind please another pic. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys I'm looking to get a some work done but I'm quite unsure where to start , can anyone tell me the best places in Dublin from experiences?

M1JD wrote: »
    Hi David,

I’m looking to get hair Transplant as soon as possible . I’ve got a few quotes etc from clinics in turkey but is difficult to know who is genuine and who to trust because a few have come back with conflicting details. If there was a genuine clinic that came recommended by genuine patients who had a good experience It would make the decision a lot easier! I’m based in Kilkenny , are you able to let me know who you went with in Dublin? . Maybe send me a PM ? Thanks

Hi there,

Sorry for delay in getting back - haven't been on here too much recently.

I went with Ailesbury - see post above.

Ailesbury love the half circle hairline look, I personally could not get that look. Why did you not get whole temples restored?
    I prefer this type of hareline
    Capture5432.jpg

I got what I could in terms of the donor site. My donor site was good, but not great so that's why I couldn't get too much more on both sides. I got 2500 hairs implanted. The photo above is about 3 or 4 times what I got.

I'm due to go back in October so I'll see then how the donor site has healed and if there is some scope to get the top at the back done.

20/20 wrote: »
    david_1888 Hi and hope all goes well for you.
    I am also going to the same clinic next week where you had your treatment.

Is there any chance you could post two new photos of front and back please.?
    Is that your normal hair length or what size blade is your hair cut at ?
    Did they suggest a time frame before you go back to work.?

I am getting 4000 grafts as this is the most they will do in a session and it will be mostly on the front and one side of my head.
    The reason for the one side is because I was badly scalded over 45 years ago and just thought I may as well give this treatment a try before I get to old.
    I know I didn't do much research into this at the time, and its to late to back out before next week but Iam beginning to think the 4000 grafts will be nowhere near enough compared to your 2500. So if you didn't mind please another pic. Thanks.

Hi there,

Sorry again for delay in getting back.

I'm sure you're already on the road to recovery.

They said a couple of days to me but I took two weeks off, but to be honest I was more than well enough to go back after 4 or 5 days.

I'll get a photo up later on when I get home.

Quite happy with progress to date. New hair is starting to come through over the last couple of weeks. Hopefully that'll continue over the next 2-3 months!

How did you get on?

• Advertisement

Hi David.
    I got my hair transplant in Turkey with Cosmedica and things are looking great so far. 7 months in next week and a serious amount of growth. Loads more to come. 12 months for the front to fully grow and 18 months for the Crown. Aylesbury and cosmedica are completely different clinics with completely different results. Believe me you will not be dissapointed with cosmedica. If u want to e email me ur number I can ring for a chat or whattsup u some before and after pics.

Yes Dr Andre Nel comes highly recommended for an Irish Clinic.

I would of went to Dr Nel but it was just the price that didn't suit, alot cheaper than other clinics though. I would never use Finasteride and I use a natural DHT blocker instead.

Yes, I got them from the UK consultant for Cosmedica.

Are you taking finasteride?

I'm booked in with Andre Nel who insists on using finasteride.

Not taking Finasteride as Ailesbury absolutely advises against the use of it due to it's side effects.

I did hear of a case where a guy was taking a quarter of a tablet every two days which dramatically decreases the chances of side effects but as I don't want to be infertile (just yet), I'm holding off on using it at all!

I would of went to Dr Nel but it was just the price that didn't suit, alot cheaper than other clinics though. I would never use Finasteride and I use a natural DHT blocker instead.

Ailesbury do recommend natural DHT blockers, which I am taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭suave.4u

I am also thinking of going the HT way. Have been using Fin and Rogaine for many years now, but have reached a point where only a HT can help.
    Would like to do it here, but companies like HRBR prices start at Eur 8000.

Not taking Finasteride as Ailesbury absolutely advises against the use of it due to it's side effects.

I did hear of a case where a guy was taking a quarter of a tablet every two days which dramatically decreases the chances of side effects but as I don't want to be infertile (just yet), I'm holding off on using it at all!

can't understand why any experienced HT surgeon will advise against Fin. Only Fin will maintain your existing hair.
    Perhaps they want to promote their own products....be vigilant!

suave.4u wrote: »
    can't understand why any experienced HT surgeon will advise against Fin. Only Fin will maintain your existing hair.
    Perhaps they want to promote their own products....be vigilant!

Not even, as they didn't give me products to take or try sell to me, and suggested I get natural blockers from a health store!

They advise against Fin because of the side effects, which there are a lot potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 paddyuibh

Hi Guys.

Im a 28 yr old male and receding from the front and also very light on top. Ive noticed my hair thinning since 23/24 years of age.

The last year Ive being using Toppik on top to cover it but of course at times (weather etc) it doesnt always look well.

Recently Ive started using Regaine 5%, does people find it any good?

Im looking into a hair transplant in the next year so in regards to that whats a good clinic in Ireland that is reasonable cheap? I see Hrbr based in Dublin but there stated between 8 to 20k which is bit steep for me. Is there any where else in Ireland considerd cheaper?

I know the number of grafts etc come into cost. But all in all would I get a good deal in Ireland or even UK? OR am I better off going to Turkey or else where?

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blueshorts

Thanks all for the messages.

I've actually decided to book in with a Dublin clinic and I'll be getting the procedure done next week.

Unfortunately my donor site isn't strong enough to get all of what I want done so will be getting the front temple areas done.

The reasons why I didn't end up going with Turkey is because (after sending all the relevant photos of the hair) one clinic said that I didn't have enough on the donor site to have the full procedure done and the other said I did, so was slightly concerned with conflicting info. Between that and the price being a lot cheaper than expected to get it done here.

Will share the experience after next week's procedure if anyone is looking for more information on it.

Thanks again!

Hi David

What clinic did you get the procedure done

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 15425g sg sdg

Does anyone have advice or experience with UFUE (unshaven FUE) hair transplants?

I am considering the procedure but would prefer not to shave my head for personal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Hi man, im getting mine done in 3 weeks with Dr Nel in malahide, i have left my hair grow longer than usual to cover up most of my recipient area as im not shaving my head, im just shaving the back where he will extract the graft's to be implanted, costs a little more to not shave the whole head though but i will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Paladium30 wrote:
    As a substitute to Finasteride, I use a 300 diode laser helmet 3 times per week, I take a sea kelp supplement in the morning, Resihi Mushroom in the evening along with pumpkin seed oil, Vitamin D3 and vitamin K2. I also use a dermaroller about once per week and take collagen poweder mixed in a glass of milk daily. It sounds a lot but it's fairly easy once your routine is set up

Sounds like a hair routine Patrick Bateman would be proud of!

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Hi man, im getting mine done in 3 weeks with Dr Nel in malahide, i have left my hair grow longer than usual to cover up most of my recipient area as im not shaving my head, im just shaving the back where he will extract the graft's to be implanted, costs a little more to not shave the whole head though but i will let you know how it goes.

all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

Can anyone advise the cost of a consultation at HRCB and whether it's worth it.
    I have done a small bit of research. I was thinking of getting their views first and then at least I'd have something to go when looking elsewhere?
    The common view online appears to indicate they're overpriced

They are way overpriced. I think a consultation with them may be €250.
    Try Ailesbury clinic I was charged €50 for a consultation with them.

HR is crazy money. Aylesbury is more reasonable but completely different results as they transplant by hair and not follicle, so quite expensive to get desired results. I decided to stay clear of Ireland and went to Turkey. Never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

iebamm2580 wrote: »

How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

kneejerk wrote: »
    How did you get on?

Hi got a few PMS so here I am day 10 after the op, the op itself is relatively pain free, getting the head numbed bit of pain but not bad, the Thursday night I met with Dr nel to do the incisions in the recipient area, this took maybe 2 hours. Back to the clinic at 7 am and donor hair was harvested and that afternoon implanted into recipient area. Surgery finished approx 6pm. Back in the Saturday at 7am and had bandages removed and was shown how yo wash the hair and instructions yo follow for next 2 weeks. Given pain meds for next week but all in all a straight forward experience . I got 2041 fue grafts and at day 10 my grafts can't dislodge anymore so back to gym tomorrow. I didn't shave the top o my head so when the scabs fall the next few days I should be able to cover the transplant with my hair. My donor hair is already nearly back to normal and he told my I have like 10000 grafts so nlenougj for another 3 transplants but he said I should get very good result and not need another one if I follow the meds.

iebamm2580 How much did it cost please.?

• Advertisement
Advertisement