Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Party wall between 3 houses will collapse soon

• 15-07-2019 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

Trying to work out the best way to approach this so any advice or experience in a similar situation is greatly appropriated.

My house is a semi d with a large rear garden, there is 3 houses at the rear of my house that share a party wall with me, wall is 7ft high standard block.

House number 3 is the last house to share the wall and they have built a shed directly onto this wall, the roof is leaning on the top of the wall, the wall has been braced with 3x 6ft length strips of steel bolted to the wall from my side ( all done before i had moved into the house)

Now this wall is most likely over 30 years old and where he has put the shed has the wall leaning towards my house but the steel braces have the wall steady enough.

House 2 that share the next part of the wall with me which is next to this shed, the wall has cracked in the mortar so much so that i could look into next doors garden through these cracks, all theses cracks to my untrained eye seem to just part from the wall with the shed due to the lean on that wall.

House 1 and the last house to share the party wall with me has a clothes line attached to the wall, big steel structure with dual lines and winches, today i noticed that if i pushed against house 1s wall with medium pressure then the whole wall from house 1 and 2s wobbles (about 7 metres of wall) and i reckon if i pushed hard enough it would fall. The wall with the shed wont wobble as it is secure with the steel braces.

Any advice on how to tackle this, i think the wall will have to be rebuilt but getting 3 neighbors to agree on this is daunting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

andy125 wrote: »
    House number 3 is the last house to share the wall and they have built a shed directly onto this wall, the roof is leaning on the top of the wall, the wall has been braced with 3x 6ft length strips of steel bolted to the wall from my side ( all done before i had moved into the house)
    Just checking, was the shed built before you moved in?

There is a procedure regulating how to proceed, I think under the Land And Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009. First step is to probably talk to and warn neighbours.

In getting any work done, get at least 3 prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭andy125

Victor wrote: »
    Just checking, was the shed built before you moved in?

There is a procedure regulating how to proceed, I think under the Land And Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009. First step is to probably talk to and warn neighbours.

In getting any work done, get at least 3 prices.

Yes it was built before i had moved in

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Start by talking politely to Neighbour 1 & 2. As above get 3 quotes. You may need do some temporary propping and suggest the washing line is taken off the wall, explain the wall will fall into their garden, and seems dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement