Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation Settlement

Options
  • 15-07-2019 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My mother has an insurance claim with FBD for subsidence/settlement. The house was built in the mid 1960's and was fine until last summer when we noticed large cracks appearing inside and outside the house. We have had soil tests carried out and they show that the house is built on filled ground. Our engineer and loss assessor now think it is settlement as opposed to subsidence and have recommended underpinning the gable end of the house and knocking the garage beside the house. Our preference was to have the foundations stabilized with a geopolymer resin by Geobear but the engineer and soil investigation company have recommended against this. The drains also have to be repaired but they are not the main cause of the movement in the house. Costs are now getting more and more. Does anybody have any recommendations or have they ever had their house underpinned and if so how invasive was it?

Many thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1: is Geobear certified for use in Ireland?
    2: why are they suggesting knocking the garage?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chigg06

Yes Geobear are certified for use in Ireland. They work all over Ireland and we already had a rep out at the house looking at it and giving us a quote. They are suggesting knocking the garage as they have said it might be "pulling on the house" and it "would improve the ground situation". I'm a bit oblivious to the in's and out's of all the information they provide us. We hired the engineer and ground investigation team and a loss assessor to work on our behalf and these are their recommendations. The worry we have is the cost and invasion of underpinning the house and weather or not the insurance company will make a payment at all.

Advertisement