Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics / Politics Cafe

Options
  • 30-05-2019 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭

Can MODS please inform people when they move a thread from politics to the members only politics cafe?
    Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Can you give a specific example?

Leaving a redirect in the forum of origin would clarify things, I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

My complete bad:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110309648

The link will bring you to a thread in politics cafe. You'd need talk to the MODS as I believe all previous posts, in my history anyway, now say politics cafe.

It's happened before. Thread moved from politics to politics cafe with no notification.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That thread was never in Politics. I believe it was moved from After Hours.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Looking at the thread history, the thread you linked to was moved from After Hours, not from Politics. But either way, leaving a redirect in the forum of origin would clarify the move.

I'll drop a message to the forum mods to make them aware of this thread.

Actually, after speaking to the AH mods, and looking myself, it seems that they did leave a redirect in AH when they moved threads to the Politics Cafe. AH being a busy forum though, redirects are going to drop off the front page reasonably quickly.

0J88IR0l.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I recall threads being locked for review upon arrival in a different forum and/or the MODS note in thread we take heed of the rules it now being in a different forum?
    MODS don't usually move threads from their area to someone elses without notification.

When you go to 'find all my posts' you click on the thread and would miss a forum redirect note.

I'd suggest an in thread notification as was common place. Also in this instance the Politics cafe' requires vetting and application to join so I would imagine a heads up would have been given when moving from a free forum to a restricted one. And as you point out the traffic in After Hours is more heavy so the redirect sticky would easily be missed.

Thanks for looking into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

This has come up many times over the years whenever a spate of thread exporting has occurred and the lessons never seem to be learned.

If a thread is very topical then it shouldn't be moved from AH to begin with, no matter what the subject is.

Topical subjects are AH's lifeblood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭Odhinn

This has come up many times over the years whenever a spate of thread exporting has occurred and the lessons never seem to be learned.

If a thread is very topical then it shouldn't be moved from AH to begin with, no matter what the subject is.

Topical subjects are AH's lifeblood.

Trump being a case in point.

Advertisement