Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission

Options
  • 16-07-2019 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just looking for some advice. My neighbour has recently got planning permission to build a extension on to his house and what he applied for he was granted.

I have been told my his builder that he is building a separate house with a stairs etc but this was not in his original plans. He was granted permission to extend his kitchen and add a room downstairs and two upstairs breaking through the existing walls. He is not doing that.

He doesn’t live in the house it’s rented so my question is would you object. Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just looking for some advice. My neighbour has recently got planning permission to build a extension on to his house and what he applied for he was granted.

I have been told my his builder that he is building a separate house with a stairs etc but this was not in his original plans. He was granted permission to extend his kitchen and add a room downstairs and two upstairs breaking through the existing walls. He is not doing that.

He doesn’t live in the house it’s rented so my question is would you object. Thank you

You cannot object now, the Planning has been granted.
    You can lodge a complaint to Planning Enforcement with regards to non compliance with the Planning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Planning enforcement can be slow to act I find. He'll probably end up getting it built before anything is done, and then he'll apply for retention.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Effects wrote: »
    Planning enforcement can be slow to act I find. He'll probably end up getting it built before anything is done, and then he'll apply for retention.

Planning Enforcement have to act within the law as set out in the Planning and Development Act. Every PE section on the country follow the same process as if it ends up in court, then the process has to be have been done to a tee or it will be thrown out.

From the moment you make a complaint, it gets registered.
    Within 2-3 days a Section 152 warning letter gets sent to the address.
    They legally have to give the home owner 4 weeks to reply.
    Then they inspect in the 5th week.
    Best course of action is followed.

If it transpires that the PE Officier was. To reasonable and didn’t allow reasonable time frames then the judge will adjourn every time, I see it week 8n week out.

Retention is a planning process open to us all. If the application is lodged, then the op can make an observation on the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

In one case that I'm aware of, it took DCC 21 days to issue the S152 letter. It was just ignored, as was any follow up letters.
    It took them five and a half months to inspect. At this stage the home owner had already finished building a two bedroom house in his back garden, and erected a new 2.4m wall completely separating it from the original house. There was even tenants renting it for more than €2000 a month.
    It took 18 months to issue an enforcement notice. They have since applied for retention.

I had to bend over backwards to obtain planning for my own house. DCC made mistakes which cost us a small fortune in the end.
    It's just hard to see someone else completely disregard planning rules and totally take the pìss when I did everything the right way and above board.

Advertisement