Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plaster over stippled ceiling prices?

Options
  • 13-07-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Would anyone have an idea on how much it would cost to plaster of stippled ceilings in a house and is it a big job?
    The stipple is not to heavy so not sure is there other alternatives.

The house is about 84 SQ M and has 3 bed 1 bathroom.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Re- plasterboard, skim and paint. After several nights of trying to scrape it off that’s what i did

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭corkmans1

BryanF wrote: »
    Re- plasterboard, skim and paint. After several nights of trying to scrape it off that’s what i did

Was thinking about this but not sure would it be more expensive than to just skim over the stipple. I have watched some YouTube clips of scraping the stipple and looks a nightmare so will skip that :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

How old is the stipple ? New stipple May mean it’s covering cracks, old stipple(pre circa 80’s) may contain asbestos. Best to just board over the existing.

BryanF wrote: »
    How old is the stipple ? New stipple May mean it’s covering cracks, old stipple(pre circa 80’s) may contain asbestos. Best to just board over the existing.

Would think it's from the 70s as that's when the house was built. Will look into boarding it and maybe tape and join it to keep it cheap as possible. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

In our old house we had a plasterer skim over the stipple, it was a pretty low stipple which may have helped. He came and painted on some adhesive first (not PVA) and came back and skimmed. At the time (6yrs ago) he charged 200-300e I think for a 20msq room

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    In our old house we had a plasterer skim over the stipple, it was a pretty low stipple which may have helped. He came and painted on some adhesive first (not PVA) and came back and skimmed. At the time (6yrs ago) he charged 200-300e I think for a 20msq room

Thanks, stipple is not heavy in this house either, that seems like a good price, I would be happy to get all down stairs done and leave the bedrooms as is if its to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I recently sprayed water all over a stippled ceiling and then went back to where I had started and scraped it off with a scraper. Once complete I sanded it with several types of sandpaper. Took most of a day but worked.
    I'd be careful about skimming over an existing stipple ceiling in case the extra weight causes the whole ceiling to pull away from the plasterboard screws or slab nails. Sounds a bit extreme but I was on a building site as a supervisor once when a ceiling collapsed due to weight of skim on skim.

I recently sprayed water all over a stippled ceiling and then went back to where I had started and scraped it off with a scraper. Once complete I sanded it with several types of sandpaper. Took most of a day but worked.
    I'd be careful about skimming over an existing stipple ceiling in case the extra weight causes the whole ceiling to pull away from the plasterboard screws or slab nails. Sounds a bit extreme but I was on a building site as a supervisor once when a ceiling collapsed due to weight of skim on skim.

Thanks for the information, I was thinking that I might try that but as I will be painting the house myself I doubt Ill have time or even the energy to take on all the ceilings as-well so will get the plasterers to get the ceilings sorted and would prefer to know it was being done right as it will be my first home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you room to put in a dropped ceiling, it's a quick fit and you'll and a perfectly smooth ceiling after it. Makes wiring lights a doddle and easy put in speakers that kind of thing.
    We done it in the kitchen, I've done it a good few times in shops, just needs to be taped and jointed and a quick skim afterwards.

Have you room to put in a dropped ceiling, it's a quick fit and you'll and a perfectly smooth ceiling after it. Makes wiring lights a doddle and easy put in speakers that kind of thing.
    We done it in the kitchen, I've done it a good few times in shops, just needs to be taped and jointed and a quick skim afterwards.

I don't think so, its the whole house really and the rooms are small enough bar the kitchen/dining room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

corkmans1 wrote: »
    Was thinking about this but not sure would it be more expensive than to just skim over the stipple. I have watched some YouTube clips of scraping the stipple and looks a nightmare so will skip that :)

Steam it off. I was stripping wall paper off one day with a steamer and noticed the ceiling was getting steamed and managed to scrap it off very easily

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

corkmans1 wrote: »
    I don't think so, its the whole house really and the rooms are small enough bar the kitchen/dining room.

It's only the head hight you need to worry about..if your doing the whole house it's worth costing. Might be cheaper and a lot less messy.

Advertisement