Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend trip to Sligo

Options
  • 05-08-2015 11:45pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey Sligo folk :)

Myself and the OH are planning a mini break in Sligo, from a Friday evening to Sunday morning.

Looking to stay in the Riverside, and wondering if you can recommend the following:

1. Somewhere to eat dinner Friday and Saturday? Not very fancy diners, but do like well cooked food.
    2. Saturday we are planning on visiting Strandhill market, the abbey, Lissadell House and the ancient cemetery, which should be most of the day.

Oh is into history and architecture, so while I might be a bit bored, he'll love it and I want him to have a super time.

Is there anything you'd recommend we leave out or anything else you suggest we do?

Sunday will literally be up, breakfast and go as we've family commitments that day

Thanks in advance :)

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Stheno wrote: »
    Hey Sligo folk :)

Myself and the OH are planning a mini break in Sligo, from a Friday evening to Sunday morning.

Looking to stay in the Riverside, and wondering if you can recommend the following:

1. Somewhere to eat dinner Friday and Saturday? Not very fancy diners, but do like well cooked food.
    2. Saturday we are planning on visiting Strandhill market, the abbey, Lissadell House and the ancient cemetery, which should be most of the day.

Oh is into history and architecture, so while I might be a bit bored, he'll love it and I want him to have a super time.

Is there anything you'd recommend we leave out or anything else you suggest we do?

Sunday will literally be up, breakfast and go as we've family commitments that day

Thanks in advance :)

S

To eat I'd suggest Hargadons or Donagheys, both can be walked from the Riverside which means you can have a drink, Hargadons do a small menu, in a pub setting but the food is great, Donagheys do a more traditional restaurant type menu and setting.

Saturday looks like it's well taken care of if you ask me, Lissadell house is nice to visit, once you've done it you'll prob not do it again, the abbey is interesting too, can't think of any other historical buildings that would be interesting, perhaps take a stroll by the courthouse, even though it'll be closed on Sat, so you won't see inside it. Someone else here surely will mention a few other interesting buildings you can see.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

rizzodun wrote: »
    To eat I'd suggest Hargadons or Donagheys, both can be walked from the Riverside which means you can have a drink, Hargadons do a small menu, in a pub setting but the food is great, Donagheys do a more traditional restaurant type menu and setting.

Saturday looks like it's well taken care of if you ask me, Lissadell house is nice to visit, once you've done it you'll prob not do it again, the abbey is interesting too, can't think of any other historical buildings that would be interesting, perhaps take a stroll by the courthouse, even though it'll be closed on Sat, so you won't see inside it. Someone else here surely will mention a few other interesting buildings you can see.

Brilliant thank you :)

Food and drink, and a rest are my main interest, and I don't want to be stuck in the hotel :)

Oh has been to Lissadell twenty years ago and is interested to see it now.

Many thanks!

Brilliant thank you :)

Food and drink, and a rest are my main interest, and I don't want to be stuck in the hotel :)

Oh has been to Lissadell twenty years ago and is interested to see it now.

Many thanks!

Just remembered, there's a soapbox derby taking place just across the river from the riverside hotel on Saturday, on the Mall, (The footbridge beside the hotel brings you out on the top of the Mall), if you're around town and finished the rest of your activities it might be worth having a look for a bit of a laugh, the Model and Niland gallery is on the same street, another building the OH might be interested in. Derby kicks off at 16:00.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

rizzodun wrote: »
    Just remembered, there's a soapbox derby taking place just across the river from the riverside hotel on Saturday, on the Mall, (The footbridge beside the hotel brings you out on the top of the Mall), if you're around town and finished the rest of your activities it might be worth having a look for a bit of a laugh, the Model and Niland gallery is on the same street, another building the OH might be interested in. Derby kicks off at 16:00.

Sounds great, thank you!

I've never been to Sligo and saw an article about it on something like Nationwide a year ago and said I'd love to go there.

Sounds like it's going to be fun :)

Is the Riverside recommended? I picked it based on reviews and the fact it looks lovely :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Just on a minor technicality, Strandhill Peoples Market is on a Sunday. But a nice place to hang out any day of the week.

I'd visit the Dooney Rock too.

• Advertisement

Sounds great, thank you!

I've never been to Sligo and saw an article about it on something like Nationwide a year ago and said I'd love to go there.

Sounds like it's going to be fun :)

Is the Riverside recommended? I picked it based on reviews and the fact it looks lovely :o

Can't tell you about the Riverside to be honest, recently reopened and refurbished, so have no idea, but then again, all you need is a bed to sleep in, plan it right and you'll spend very little time in the hotel, it's a stone's throw from the town centre so close to all the pubs, shops and restaurants, two minute walk from the abbey, and on the southern side of town so not too difficult to get to, parking is very limited though, that can be an issue but I'm sure the staff can help you with alternative parking close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Riverside have nice rooms which are finished to a high standard. This weekend the summer festival is and the fleadh starts on Sunday so plenty of entertainment on. The market in strandhill starts at 11 on Sunday if ye have a spare half hour before ye go. Enjoy yer stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

You're coming to Sligo on the right weekend as there is a great music line up in Stephen Street Car Park on Friday and Saturday evening because of the Sligo Summer Festival.

https://m.facebook.com/SligoSummerFestival?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FSligoSummerFestival

The Embassy Steakhouse do a nice menu and you'll be passing by it on your walk into the city centre from Riverside. Walk along Rockwood Parade beside tge river and you'll have plenty of nice bars (Kennedys, Fiddlers) and restaurants (Rugatinos, Eala Bhan, Fiddlers) to choose from and just a 5 or 10 minute walk from your hotel.

Advertisement