Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drones.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you sure about this?
    I just did a quick search on DJI drones and people were saying although they know it's illegal to fly out of line of sight in the US law they do it all the time.

Also many of these drones support way path mode where you have pre planned flight paths programmed in.

Its fairly common for private use drones to have an FPV screen on the controller, allowing you to see what the drone sees, so allowing you to fly out of sight. I have one myself.

I wasn't around Gatwick, promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

alan1963 wrote: »
    Ok gonna play devils advocate a bit here,
    IF the people flying the drones are apprehended, they will no doubt face substantial jail terms,but IF they turn out to be environmental activists and the reason for this action was to draw attention to the massive amounts of greenhouse gasses created,world wide by aviation. Then maybe,just maybe, in 100 years from now they will be seen as Heroes, and martyrs.
    similar to the suffragettes, or even the 1916 rebels. 100 years ago from now.

If it was a group of activists, you'd think they'd take responsibility to ensure that their cause is associated with the coverage of this event.

I think it's more likely to simply be mischief making by sometime disgruntled with Gatwick or an outside state actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

The drones are back at Gatwick, I just heard. It's kind of mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Zorya wrote: »
    The drones are back at Gatwick, I just heard. It's kind of mad.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2018/dec/21/gatwick-drone-airport-limited-flights-live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Again? If it's not someone with sinister intentions then it's some selfish prick with too much time on their hands.

I'm flying to Dublin via Turkey tonight so I hope no other nutjobs get ideas in to their thick skulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

JMNolan wrote: »
    There is no ordinary drone that can harm an airplane. Like Met Eireann and their weather warnings, this was a complete overreaction.

A tree (or a branch) fell on a 9-year-old child during the latest weather warning, & there was at least one weather warning that people were complaining about in the last 18 months in which somebody was killed in their car by a falling branch. You can decide yourself what level of risk you want to take, but all Met Eireann are doing is putting the information out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Would a drone stop them annoying small planes - you know the ones that make noise like an out of tune Honda 50....asking for a friend...

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

kneemos wrote: »
    Nabbed someone I reackon.

I really hope so Kneemos, little fella is having conniptions here. Supposed to be flying in to see his grandparents for the first Christmas in five years.

Whatever bollix is doing this needs a good hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I really hope so Kneemos, little fella is having conniptions here. Supposed to be flying in to see his grandparents for the first Christmas in five years.

Whatever bollix is doing this needs a good hiding.

Yes but they have highlighted the problem before a terrorist group use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

thomil wrote: »
    The drones suspected in the Gatwick incident require a direct line of sight between the control unit and the actual drone, as do all drones available for private use.

You don't need line of sight. It just gives you a stronger signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Tg2Tszsh.jpg

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

They did interview two, and they are released without charge

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

goat2 wrote: »
    They did interview two, and they are released without charge

Seen that earlier, the couple who were arrested have been ruled out as suspects for flying the drone. I feel pity for the two of them, their details were leaked to the media and all the tabloids had their pictures on their front pages on Thursday pointing the finger at them. Not a nice thing to happen anyone.

Does anyone know what the range for signal is on one of these drones?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Seen that earlier, the couple who were arrested have been ruled out as suspects for flying the drone. I feel pity for the two of them, their details were leaked to the media and all the tabloids had their pictures on their front pages on Thursday pointing the finger at them. Not a nice thing to happen anyone.

Does anyone know what the range for signal is on one of these drones?

Something you buy pre-built and ready to fly from a shop? About 1km. With some modifcation to the transmitter you can go as far as 4km. But you will lose video signal before you hit that range and unless you are flying by GPS, it'll crash. They have at most 30 minutes of flight time too and often have inbuilt restrictions on where you can fly and how high you can go.

And you will pay a grand for that unless you got for a chinese knockoff. Like with Computers, it's cheaper to built it yourself. If you buy store bought, you pay a premium. And store bought means restrictions.

For example, if you buy a popular quad from DJI like a phantom or Mavic, you wouldn't be able to fly it near an airport. It simply won't start up as it knows its in restricted airspace.

However, it sounds like the type of "drone" used here was custom built which means it can fly where its user wants, as high as they want, and at longer ranges....for longer.

People have built small planes with solar panels on them that recharge the battery in the air....and planes can glide which quadcopters can't which means they can stay in the air much longer. There is a lad on youtube who built one and kept it in the air for 8 hours before he got bored.

My point being, the type of eco terrorist people to do this aren't your typical "drone" enthusiasts. They didn't buy off the shelf. "Drone" laws will have no effect on things like this happening again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

2 suspects arrested have been released.

Police saying there may have been no drone.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6524457/Police-continue-quiz-double-glazing-worker-Gatwick-drone.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

dense wrote: »
    2 suspects arrested have been released.

Police saying there may have been no drone.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6524457/Police-continue-quiz-double-glazing-worker-Gatwick-drone.html

The Mail has some neck criticising the police for the arrest after their earlier headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Collie D wrote: »
    The Mail has some neck criticising the police for the arrest after their earlier headlines.

Nah, the police don't have a clue about this.
    How could they? Arrest someone on an alleged tip off after receiving reports alleging a drone was seen near an airport.

Now they're allegedly saying there may have been no drone to begin with?

The police cannot win in these situations.

That doesn't mean they can't be criticised either.

They have now apparently found a drone.....

Just no idea if it is the actual one that might not have existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Kirby wrote: »

However, it sounds like the type of "drone" used here was custom built which means it can fly where its user wants, as high as they want, and at longer ranges....for longer.

People have built small planes with solar panels on them that recharge the battery in the air....and planes can glide which quadcopters can't which means they can stay in the air much longer. There is a lad on youtube who built one and kept it in the air for 8 hours before he got bored.

My point being, the type of eco terrorist people to do this aren't your typical "drone" enthusiasts. They didn't buy off the shelf. "Drone" laws will have no effect on things like this happening again.

Thats interesting, thanks for the info.

Would it be possible to build a custom drone and program it to go on a certain flight path using GPS without the need for a pilot at all?

Advertisement