Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Centra Rivervalley(Formerly C & T's) Closing Christmas Eve

• 23-11-2017 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Centra Rivervalley(Formerly C & T's) Closing for good Christmas Eve.

It will be knocked down and an Aldi will be built in it's place.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just what Swords needs: a 10th large supermarket.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Long overdue.

That whole centre is a dump and in need of a revamp. The carpark too is a mess.

Looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm delighted! Hopefully Aldi will keep on any of the Centra staff who are interested. I seem to remember that a facelift for the car park and the centre in general was included in the planning application. Happy days - it's long overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Loved C&Ts, not a huge fan of the Centra.... staff are great and always friendly but the shopping centre is an eyesore and badly in need of a huge makeover.
    Is Aldi the answer? Only time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I think that this is a disaster. Centra was handy for grabbing a few bits quickly. i agree it's an eye sore, but the estate will now be without anywhere you can run in and grab some bread or milk quickly (or a multi pack of dime bars)!

And dont suggest the rip off shop (aka Gilroys) - haven't set foot in it in 20 years and wont be for the next 20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 whitesheep

Oh no what a pity. I loved that shop. Hopefully some of the staff will make the cut for the new shop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think that this is a disaster. Centra was handy for grabbing a few bits quickly. i agree it's an eye sore, but the estate will now be without anywhere you can run in and grab some bread or milk quickly (or a multi pack of dime bars)!

And dont suggest the rip off shop (aka Gilroys) - haven't set foot in it in 20 years and wont be for the next 20

Me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Is the C&Ts part the only bit to be knocked down or the other shops beside it too?

Unfortunately just the supermarket - but there was a facelift for the facade of the other shops included in the planning application so hopefully they'll be going ahead with that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Shred

The whole place badly needs a facelift and the car park has been a mess for the past year or two. But I'm not sold on having an Aldi there as I think it will negatively impact traffic in the valley, we'll see though. In regards to the Centra, I use it from time to time but they continued on from where C&T left off with their almost fresh produce, hopefully there'll be jobs in Aldi for the staff if they want them though.

• Advertisement

There was obviously a delay with this going ahead considering the Centra is still open. However, I was in there on Saturday evening and noticed the front area has largely been cleared of units and a lot of shelves (again near the front) were looking quite bare. So it looks like something is going to happen soon, has anyone heard anything?

It's just staying open for as long as it take the newsagent's to be converted into a small Centra, and this is taking slightly longer than expected. The latest news is that this is expected to open this week and the old Centra will then close completely.

It's just staying open for as long as it take the newsagent's to be converted into a small Centra, and this is taking slightly longer than expected. The latest news is that this is expected to open this week and the old Centra will then close completely.

Ah ok, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

It's closing 6pm this Wednesday.

Was up there at 6 pm yesterday when it was closing. All the staff old and new drinking champagne and having a good time.

Very sad day for the estate IMO as it was a decent sized shop on our doorstep. Not looking forward to standing behind someone doing their monthly shop when I have a litre of milk and some chicken kievs for dinner!

It's certainly a huge change, and I hope the Aldi staff are even half as helpful and friendly as the Centra staff were. That said, the shop had been operating a a loss for a long time and had gotten very run down, so a lot of people were going to Supervalu instead. I'm looking forward to having Aldi in the estate, and having a small Centra down from it will help.
    The shopping centre and car park have been letting the area down badly and I'm really looking forward to it all looking better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

It's certainly a huge change, and I hope the Aldi staff are even half as helpful and friendly as the Centra staff were. That said, the shop had been operating a a loss for a long time and had gotten very run down, so a lot of people were going to Supervalu instead. I'm looking forward to having Aldi in the estate, and having a small Centra down from it will help. The shopping centre and car park have been letting the area down badly and I'm really looking forward to it all looking better

It'll be chaos at school drop off and pick up times.

I haven't seen the proposed plans but hopefully they can create another entrance/exit near where the Aldi will be. Otherwise I might need to get one of those granny shopping trolleys and walk around :P

rushfan wrote:
    It'll be chaos at school drop off and pick up times.

Not anymore than what it is like at present.

T-Maxx wrote:
    Not anymore than what it is like at present.

I wonder. Can't see how it could be any better unless they open another entrance or exit.

• Advertisement

In my opinion the problems in the estate at school times has more to do with lack of organisation and bad driving/parking than it has to do with the shops, but that's another thread altogether.

In my opinion the problems in the estate at school times has more to do with lack of organisation and bad driving/parking than it has to do with the shops, but that's another thread altogether.

A bit of everything alright. In about 18 months I won't have to endure the pleasure of it.

rushfan wrote: »
    A bit of everything alright. In about 18 months I won't have to endure the pleasure of it.

Moving on, or just finishing with school runs? It's a long time since I did the school runs, both to the primary and Loreto but it was all a lot calmer then.

Moving on, or just finishing with school runs? It's a long time since I did the school runs, both to the primary and Loreto but it was all a lot calmer then.

School runs. Speed ramps. School wardens. Can't get the car into third gear. Can't wait!!!!ðŸ˜

Finishing the school runs

Happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Anyone heard any updates as to when work will start on the site? Shopping centre has looked like a dump for last few years.... looks worse now with shop closed. Badly needs bringing into this century.

I haven't heard anything, but like you I hope they get started soon.

It'd be nice if something happens with this soon, I can't understand the need to evacuate the premises for it to then sit idle for another few months.

• Advertisement

Apparently the delay is because of the underground petrol tanks. They have to be left undisturbed for six months after they've been drained, otherwise it's a safety risk.

Apparently the delay is because of the underground petrol tanks. They have to be left undisturbed for six months after they've been drained, otherwise it's a safety risk.

Mmmk

Something happening as from this morning.

Went past earlier - the petrol pumps are fenced off and there are men inside the building. Hopefully it'll all happen quickly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tostayorgo

Nothing going to happen for the next two years it's not even down for 2019 with the planning dept in Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Purple Sheep

I was looking at their recruitment page and they seem to be hiring for August 2018?
    Name: River Valley, Swords August 2018

Might be too good to be true since it doesn't look that any work has started, but one can dream...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Purple Sheep

I was looking at their recruitment page and they seem to be hiring for August 2018?
    Name: River Valley, Swords August 2018

Might be too good to be true since it doesn't look that any work has started, but one can dream...

Well it's completely gone from the recruitment page now so, so much for that theory. Not looking good for 2018 :(

Apart from the fact that Aldi appear to have no plans to open, the shopping centre in general looks even worse than bit did when the supermarket was open. It's really letting the area down. Some of the residents cleaned up the car park recently just to make it look a bit better.

Apart from the fact that Aldi appear to have no plans to open, the shopping centre in general looks even worse than bit did when the supermarket was open. It's really letting the area down. Some of the residents cleaned up the car park recently just to make it look a bit better.

I disagree Dizzy. I see this point made all the time on the FB rivervalley page. In my opinion, it has looked like crap for years and the supermarket didnt make it look any better!

I didn't think it looked okay with the supermarket open, just marginally better. The whole centre is an absolute disgrace and has been for a very long time, and it's a pity the shop owners can't be made improve it.

I didn't think it looked okay with the supermarket open, just marginally better. The whole centre is an absolute disgrace and has been for a very long time, and it's a pity the shop owners can't be made improve it.

Agreed - shouldn't be up to residents to clean up the mess as the other business owners cant be arsed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Was there no planning application submitted by Aldi or Lidl? I just checked the fingal website and cant see any application in relation to the demolition and construction of a new building? From all the talk I just presumed that planning had been granted and everything was full team ahead when centra closed :confused:

Homer wrote: »
    Was there no planning application submitted by Aldi or Lidl? I just checked the fingal website and cant see any application in relation to the demolition and construction of a new building? From all the talk I just presumed that planning had been granted and everything was full team ahead when centra closed :confused:

Tis a very long story, but basically Aldi dont have plans to open in Rivervalley and noone seems to know whats going on.

I did too, but the last application on Fingal.ie seems to be the one from 2013 which was subsequently withdrawn. Aldi weren't the applicants either, it was the group of shop owners. Maybe Aldi will only move into buildings they own and the shop owners didn't want to sell?

http://www.fingal.ie/planning-and-buildings/apply-or-search-for-a-planning-application/search-planning-applications-online/searchplanningapplicationsonline/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Ah ok.. thats not good! I wonder are they hoping if they leave it idle that a developer/supermarket chain will step in and purchase? Weird way to do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

Planning has been granted. Have heard the story too that nothing is going to happen. Would be good to see something done with that centre.

Here’s the planning approval:
    http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F13A/0306

eggerb wrote: »
    Planning has been granted. Have heard the story too that nothing is going to happen. Would be good to see something done with that centre.

Yeah it would be nice to see some movement alright, the whole place looks dreadful.

Probably waiting for a fire to destroy the place so the insurance can foot a chunk of the costs...

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭eggerb

Shred wrote: »
    Yeah it would be nice to see some movement alright, the whole place looks dreadful.

Did a bit more digging and, it seems, Aldi is still committed to opening up there. The planning side of things would seem to be ok. Apparently, it’s related to the purchase of the site.

Aldi are actively looking for new sites in the Dublin area and have listed 11 stores nationwide between August 2018 and December 2018 on its new stores page here: https://www.aldirecruitment.ie/
    Hopefully we hear some positive news soon. The centre really needs a facelift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

eggerb wrote: »
    Did a bit more digging and, it seems, Aldi is still committed to opening up there. The planning side of things would seem to be ok. Apparently, it’s related to the purchase of the site.

Aldi are actively looking for new sites in the Dublin area and have listed 11 stores nationwide between August 2018 and December 2018 on its new stores page here: https://www.aldirecruitment.ie/
    Hopefully we hear some positive news soon. The centre really needs a facelift.

I didn't see anything indicating a new store in River valley, and unfortunately the planning application didn't list Aldi as an applicant. How can you be sure they're still planning on opening a store there?

I hope they do open a store there, a second Aldi would be really handy especially on this end on swords. I doubt we'll see a store before 2019 though, it took almost a year for the other store to be built

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭sidcon

It has been confirmed by Myles Caulfield River Valley Res Ass
    Confirmation from Aldi that the purchase of the site for their new store in the shopping centre is going ahead.
    Further to your email dated 19th September 2018 I wish to advise that Aldi Ireland are due to complete the purchase of the site in River Valley, Swords in the next few weeks.

Regards

Sinéad McSweeney
    For and on behalf of Aldi Stores (Ireland) Ltd

Property

ALDI Ireland
    Newbridge Road
    Naas
    Co. Kildare

Ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement