Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Van insurance question

• 07-07-2016 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

My brother has a van that he is not using. It is in his name, also taxed, tested and insured in his name. He's offered it to me, with him just wanting it for occasional use. I'd like to insure it in my name to keep my no claims and continuation of insurance in my name. Is it ok for him to keep ownership and tax/test in his name, but for me to have the insurance in my name. Also any pitfalls. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

gooner99 wrote: »
    My brother has a van that he is not using. It is in his name, also taxed, tested and insured in his name.

I currently work with in insurance and would decline this request as you've no financial/insurable interest in the van - ie you are trying to insure something you don't own and you won't be personally out of pocket of something happened to the van as you didn't buy it.

Two options:

Does he have open insurance on the van so you are already covered to drive? Is standard on a lot of commercial policies.

Get added as a named driver and pay the additional premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Thanks for the reply. Yeah he has insurance in it, so I am covered when I do drive it. It was more the fact that I'd like to keep up my own insurance policy as I've heard people who have left to go abroad for a couple of years get hammered when they got back.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah he has insurance in it, so I am covered when I do drive it. It was more the fact that I'd like to keep up my own insurance policy as I've heard people who have left to go abroad for a couple of years get hammered when they got back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

2 year is period of gap or ncb is bye-bye

• Advertisement

Tell me about it. Between one thing and another my insurance lapsed a just over a month and when I rang to renew with the same company they said I couldn't renew, that they would have to treat as a new policy and I'd have to send in the no claims that they had sent me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Wexy86 wrote: »
    I currently work with in insurance and would decline this request as you've no financial/insurable interest in the van

Even if OP is interested only in TPL policy? You never asked what kind of policy she/he wants...

It does not make any sense to talk about insurable interest with TPL - it is about insuring not the van, but the DRIVER to drive that van.

/ yes, it is my mantra... /

Advertisement