Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby League European Cup.

Options
  • 17-09-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

European cup coming up. Bit of a crock as far as I'm concerned as I reckon we should be in the upcoming four nations, following our showing in the RLWC. I reckon a trick has been missed here, should have been a five nations comp, England, Ireland, NZ. Oz and france...but hey, what you gonna do? Still a good day out in Tullamore coming up if anyones about....and the serbians are bloody good, they love their RL over there. Just hope the RLI can get the word out and get some sort of a turn out.

http://www.rlef.eu.com/news.php?id=1135

rugbyleague.com European Cup Fixtures:

Round 1
    Saturday 17/10/09, Stadio Del Plebiscito, Padova
    Italy V Scotland
    KO : 15.00

Sunday 18/10/09, Tullamore RUFC, Tullamore
    Ireland V Serbia
    KO 14.30.

Round 2
    Saturday 24/10/09, Tripoli Olympic Stadium, Tripoli
    Lebanon V Italy
    KO 20.00

Sunday 25/10/09, FK Smedervo Stadium, Smederevo - Serbia V Wales
    KO 14.00

Round 3
    Sunday 1/11/09, Hughenden, Glasgow
    Scotland V Lebanon
    KO 15.00

Sunday 1/11/09, Pontypridd RUFC, Pontypridd
    Wales V Ireland
    KO 17.00

FINALS DAY:
    Sunday 08/11/09, Celtic Crusaders RL, Brewery Field, Bridgend.

3rd v 3rd KO 11.00
    2nd v 2nd KO 13.30
    1st v 1st KO 16.00

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I think if Ireland win it at a canter it may well support calls for their inclusion in a 5 nations. My worry is France will be shown up badly by Australia, New Zealand and England and it may well be a short lived experiment, reverting back to tri-nations before Ireland get a look in.

Nationality is a big issue in RL too, the number of players moving from one country to another prior to the last World Cup was farcical. Supposed Welsh/Scots becoming English, Australians becoming Irish etc. Possibly it works in the favour of the Irish but the Welsh/Scots and teams from the Pacific Islands are always going to be losers, and I am doubtful there will be general progress outside the "big 3" until this is sorted. Oh, and Stiffing PNG in the RLWC was outrageous. (Think I might have gone off topic, sorry!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Only thing with France is a lot of the Catalan Aussies, such as Mogg and Jones may qualify through residency for the tournament. Could give them a whole new level if it happens. Also reckon, for France, the appointment of Bobby Goulding is an absolute disaster...they need a Frenchman, or at the very least someone who has an affinity with France and speaks the lingo in there...Leaves the team open to accusations that there a bunch of foreign mercenaries with no organic connection to france...

Also, from an Irish perspective, unfortunately, the more high profile irish squad members are unlikely to find the euro cup worth the risk/effort at the end of a long gruelling season, whereas had we been in the 4N, I'm sure many Super League based players would be up for the challenge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tallaght RL

toomevara wrote: »
    European cup coming up. Bit of a crock as far as I'm concerned as I reckon we should be in the upcoming four nations, following our showing in the RLWC. I reckon a trick has been missed here, should have been a five nations comp, England, Ireland, NZ. Oz and france...but hey, what you gonna do? Still a good day out in Tullamore coming up if anyones about....and the serbians are bloody good, they love their RL over there. Just hope the RLI can get the word out and get some sort of a turn out.

http://www.rlef.eu.com/news.php?id=1135

rugbyleague.com European Cup Fixtures:

Round 1
    Saturday 17/10/09, Stadio Del Plebiscito, Padova
    Italy V Scotland
    KO : 15.00

Sunday 18/10/09, Tullamore RUFC, Tullamore
    Ireland V Serbia
    KO 14.30.

Round 2
    Saturday 24/10/09, Tripoli Olympic Stadium, Tripoli
    Lebanon V Italy
    KO 20.00

Sunday 25/10/09, FK Smedervo Stadium, Smederevo - Serbia V Wales
    KO 14.00

Round 3
    Sunday 1/11/09, Hughenden, Glasgow
    Scotland V Lebanon
    KO 15.00

Sunday 1/11/09, Pontypridd RUFC, Pontypridd
    Wales V Ireland
    KO 17.00

FINALS DAY:
    Sunday 08/11/09, Celtic Crusaders RL, Brewery Field, Bridgend.

3rd v 3rd KO 11.00
    2nd v 2nd KO 13.30
    1st v 1st KO 16.00

Do you know who's in the Irish squad and which clubs they play RL for?

The RLI site is hopeless (as usual), they've even knocked their Message Boards on the head. Andy Kelly is still managing the squad, and they've been installed as the favourites for the comp, but I reckon the likes of Wales, Lebanon and Serbia will have a thing or two to say about that....here's a piece from Boots'n'All on the comp. Andy Kelly is interviewed at about 2:15 in.....

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,12780_5547714,00.html

In the meantime, I'm on the case......

Scott Grix (Wakefield) is involved...heres an interview at the launch of the comp. He's interviewed around the 3 Min mark. Does say there's going to be a lot more irish players involved;

http://www.rugbyleague.com/video-player/12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Even if it meant risking the results I'd like to see a few more Irish players on the pitch than there were at the World Cup.

Can't see any decent public transport option to get down to Tullamore for the match alas.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »

Can't see any decent public transport option to get down to Tullamore for the match alas.

Don't know the rationale behind the location but it seems a really, really strange one. I would have tried to get it on in Limerick or dublin myself. Plus I'm heading for London to see the OZ/NZ clash at the stoop in the 4N the following weekend so the timing is unfortunate as well...

Don't know the rationale behind the location but it seems a really, really strange one. I would have tried to get it on in Limerick or dublin myself. Plus I'm heading for London to see the OZ/NZ clash at the stoop in the 4N the following weekend so the timing is unfortunate as well...

Tallaght Stadium would be a good choice if the RL could afford it!

Plus would be nice to see a curtain raiser game for players actual born in the countries involved at any age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭mountain

i have never had a reason to go to Tullamore, until now.....

will make an effort to travel up from west cork for this.

Anyone else interested?

mountain wrote: »
    i have never had a reason to go to Tullamore, until now.....

will make an effort to travel up from west cork for this.

Anyone else interested?

Would love to go, but can't get over from Leeds. alas. Might try and get to the game in Ponty.

Ireland Train-On Squad

Scott Grix (Wakefield), Sean Gleeson (Wakefield), Bob Beswick (Halifax), Liam Harrison (Barrow), Karl Fitzpatrick (Salford), Liam Finn (Dewsbury), Luke Ambler (Leeds), Sean Hesketh (York), Pat Richards (Wigan), Mick McIlorum (Wigan), Gareth Haggerty (Harlequins), Tyrone McCarthy (Warrington), Jason Golden (Harlequins), Eamon O'Carroll (Wigan), Wayne Kerr (Oldham), Dave Allen (Barrow), Marcus St Hilaire (Oldham), James Coyle (Barrow), John Coleman (Dublin City Exiles), Brendan Guilfoyle (Treaty City Titans), Paddy Barcoe (Carlow Crusaders), Tim Bergin (Laois Panthers), Stevie Gibbons (Carlow Crusaders), Shane Mullay (Treaty City Titans), Shane Kelly (Tullamore Knights), Mark Toohey (Treaty City Titans), Alan MacNamara (Treaty City Titans), Tommy Ratahi (Carlow Crusaders).

Excellent squad with 10 players from the RLI comp. Kelly is at least making good on his promise to build on the WC success. Some really, really good players in there. reckon we can do some damage with that lot. Even a Dub in there Tallaght, god help us:D

• Advertisement

Ireland Train-On Squad

Scott Grix (Wakefield), Sean Gleeson (Wakefield), Bob Beswick (Halifax), Liam Harrison (Barrow), Karl Fitzpatrick (Salford), Liam Finn (Dewsbury), Luke Ambler (Leeds), Sean Hesketh (York), Pat Richards (Wigan), Mick McIlorum (Wigan), Gareth Haggerty (Harlequins), Tyrone McCarthy (Warrington), Jason Golden (Harlequins), Eamon O'Carroll (Wigan), Wayne Kerr (Oldham), Dave Allen (Barrow), Marcus St Hilaire (Oldham), James Coyle (Barrow), John Coleman (Dublin City Exiles), Brendan Guilfoyle (Treaty City Titans), Paddy Barcoe (Carlow Crusaders), Tim Bergin (Laois Panthers), Stevie Gibbons (Carlow Crusaders), Shane Mullay (Treaty City Titans), Shane Kelly (Tullamore Knights), Mark Toohey (Treaty City Titans), Alan MacNamara (Treaty City Titans), Tommy Ratahi (Carlow Crusaders).

Excellent squad with 10 players from the RLI comp. Kelly is at least making good on his promise to build on the WC success. Some really, really good players in there. reckon we can do some damage with that lot. Even a Dub in there Tallaght, god help us:D

Your right very mixed squad, some over the hill, some new talent, no NRL players, should be fairly competitive if he can get them to gell quickly. No Tallaght lads, perhap next year!

Less than three weeks to go before the game v Serbia and the bookies dont even know Ireland are playing. Is RL in Ireland a secret!

Is RL in Ireland a secret!

The short answer Tallaght, without being facetious, is 'yes', a particularly well kept one, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

no sign of Fuifui Moimoi and him from Waterford :D

I know they aren't in this squad but a couple of players who represented Ireland in the past have switched to England.

Ben Harrison and Chris Bridge have both been called into England Training squad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/8284585.stm

Just saw this myself..bloody annoying to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

What makes it even more ridiculous is that Danny Brough who switched allegiance from Scotland with big fanfares has been given the cold shoulder, yet Tony Smith can get two of his club players straight into the England set-up by the back door:mad: !!

This is not going to give international competitions much credibility with this constant poaching of players. Surely at some point the governing bodies will have to discuss this and draw a line.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    This is not going to give international competitions much credibility with this constant poaching of players.

Absolutely agree, totally unacceptable. Once you declare and play for a country, that should be it. Its the only way to retain any credibility for the international game.

Also in an Irish context it makes the national team hard to love as you could legitimately question the motivation and commitment of the players playing for 'their' country. You could legitimately level accusations of mercenary conduct at these guys. Look at Brough, he can captain his country and then turn coat and throw his lot in with England? Absolutely indefensible.

Squad named yesterday. 5 local lads, good to see. Seriously strong squad.

Ireland Squad

1. Scott Grix (Wakefield)
    2. Bob Beswick (Halifax)
    3. Liam Harrison (Barrow)
    4. Karl Fitzpatrick (Salford)
    5. Liam Finn (Dewsbury)
    6. Luke Ambler (Leeds)
    7. Marcus St Hilaire (Oldham)
    8. Pat Richards (Wigan)
    9. Mick McIlorum (Wigan)
    10. Tyrone McCarthy (Warrington)
    11. Jason Golden (Harlequins RL)
    12. Wayne Kerr (Oldham)
    13. Dave Allen (Barrow)
    14. Sean Hesketh (York)
    15. Ryan Boyle (Castleford)
    16. John Coleman (Dublin City Exiles)
    17. Brendan Guilfoyle (Treaty City Titans)
    18. Paddy Barcoe (Carlow Crusaders)
    19. Tim Bergin (Laois Panthers)
    20. Stevie Gibbons (Carlow Crusaders)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 SabAlliance

Squad named yesterday. 5 local lads, good to see. Seriously strong squad.

Ireland Squad

1. Scott Grix (Wakefield)
    2. Bob Beswick (Halifax)
    3. Liam Harrison (Barrow)
    4. Karl Fitzpatrick (Salford)
    5. Liam Finn (Dewsbury)
    6. Luke Ambler (Leeds)
    7. Marcus St Hilaire (Oldham)
    8. Pat Richards (Wigan)
    9. Mick McIlorum (Wigan)
    10. Tyrone McCarthy (Warrington)
    11. Jason Golden (Harlequins RL)
    12. Wayne Kerr (Oldham)
    13. Dave Allen (Barrow)
    14. Sean Hesketh (York)
    15. Ryan Boyle (Castleford)
    16. John Coleman (Dublin City Exiles)
    17. Brendan Guilfoyle (Treaty City Titans)
    18. Paddy Barcoe (Carlow Crusaders)
    19. Tim Bergin (Laois Panthers)
    20. Stevie Gibbons (Carlow Crusaders)
    If that's the same Tim Bergin who was a few years below me in school then he's an amazing talent. Would have easily made some of the provinces in Union had he not gone to Scotland for university.

Folks I'm off to the wilds of N.Yorkshire for the weekend where the internet is but a rumour and satellite TV some weird, as yet misunderstood, magic. If anyone who reads or contributes to this forum makes it to Tullamore this weekend to see the game, a match report of any sort would be greatly appreciated. Massive brownie points will ensue. C'mon Ireland.....!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Folks I'm off to the wilds of N.Yorkshire for the weekend where the internet is but a rumour and satellite TV some weird, as yet misunderstood, magic. If anyone who reads or contributes to this forum makes it to Tullamore this weekend to see the game, a match report of any sort would be greatly appreciated. Massive brownie points will ensue. C'mon Ireland.....!!!!!

Would be delighted to oblige if I could get to the game. Bus would have me arriving in Tullamore 10 minutes after kick off. Or I could go Train-Bus-Bus-Train-Train to arrive 13 minutes before kick-off.:rolleyes:
    So yeah, anyone else wants to provide a report it'd be great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,155 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Also in an Irish context it makes the national team hard to love as you could legitimately question the motivation and commitment of the players playing for 'their' country. You could legitimately level accusations of mercenary conduct at these guys.

If people within RL have that feeling, just imagine how it looks to the people Rl are trying to attract to the game.

Sadly, Ireland is no more than an England/GB training team for many players

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Dont want the brownie points but do want the brownies

Half Time Ireland 46 serbia nil

full time Ireland 86--

poor text messages from game

bergin, fitzpatrick and harrison played well

drzhivago wrote: »
    Dont want the brownie points but do want the brownies

Half Time Ireland 46 serbia nil

full time Ireland 86--

poor text messages from game

bergin, fitzpatrick and harrison played well

drzhivago, you're a star. massively appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kellco88

good performances from all the local lads great to see john coleman and tim bergin scoring on debut and stevie gibbons getting man of the match

also match report should be on rte.ie shortly.

Great result. Looked like five irish born players in the team? Ireland had to many professional class players for Serbia to handle, good line breaks, although for a squad made up of Serbian nationals they didnt do to bad, just couldnt get any go forward, so were defending all the time.

More Irish home games with more irish born players in the side would be good to see.

RLI need to pick up their game. No signs for the game from Naas to Tullamore or in Tullamore itself. Saw the three new RLI 4x4's in the Car Park at Tullamore RU when they should of been out & about before the game in Tullamore etc. If they cant sort themselves out maybe its time for RL in Ireland to join GAA as one of their sports.

• Advertisement

Scotland put 100 on italy as well this weekend. There should be a 4 nations comp in RL every year in Europe. Ireland, Wales (who really made England work on Saturday eve), Scotland and another nation perhaps Italy or the Leb. It would raise the profile of the game in those countries.

Advertisement