Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need A New Acoustic

• 14-06-2004 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭

hey i'm fairly new to this part of boards and need a little help.

i'd call myself an average player of the guitar (know a good few chords no scales or anything, put a tab infront of me and i can play it :D ).

i'm looking for a new acoustic around €800 is my absolute limit, i want a nice acoustic with nice sound which i can test out preferabably a shop in dublin.

waltons is ****e for acoustics and perfect pitch and music maker are alright but are full of goths :P

thanks for listening

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Check out my recommendations here:

http://muppet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162379

For €800 you should easily be able to afford an Avalon.
    Well worth every cent.
    Talk to Roger in Musician Inc, and try them out.
    You'll be impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

where's musicans inc in relation to waltons/musicmaker/perfect pitch.

also i should of stated that i'd like to plug it into an amp aswell

i'd also prefer to have an acoustic that has a cut off so i can reach hard to reach frets

...???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Musician Inc, from the Waltons/Georges street side of the Georges St. Arcade, just walk through to the other side of the Arcade, to come out on Drury st.

Musician Inc. is on the right beside the entrance as you walk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Dont know if this helps any but i recently bought a semi aria sandpiper asp130 with a cutaway for E365. I dont know much about guitars but it plays pretty sweet and very very easy to play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

im goning to buy a taylor big baby,
    great sound out of it and only 500bucks, probably a extra 100 for me to get electronics .....

thats my choice anyway

went into musician inc today i saw a nice martin with a cut off was 1150 euros though so i might wait a few more weeks.

us there any web stores (europe) that sell gibsons just for me to compare or is there anywhere in town that sell gibson acoustics (not waltons as they suck for acoustics Sx's everywhere!) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

music store sells martin guitars http://www.musicstorekoeln.de

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=00CX1AEBLACK

this was the one i was looking at getting, anyone have any comments on it, obiviously i will play it before buying it.

Have I taught you people nothing?!:p

That guitar doesn't have solid wood back and sides.
    For the same price you can get a guitar that will.
    And it'll sound better, and mature nicer.

For that price, you could get an Avalon with a Fishman Natural pickup in it, which'll kick the pants of the Martin.

Go back into Musician Inc and as them to show you an Avalon for that price with a pickup installed.

• Advertisement

ok, so i take it that non solid wood back and sides ain't a good idea, can u tell me why, i'm a complete newbie when it comes to this sort of thing.

just had a look on www.music123.com and saw this, i really like the look of it and i could hold off for an extra couple of weeks. is this a good guitar and does it have a solid wood body?

how would i ship it if i shipped it with them would i be done for custom duty?

i have a brother in the states that could order it and then send it to me by UPS or DHL but will i be caught for customs that way also.

guitars are the hardest things to ****ing buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Originally posted by fitz
    Have I taught you people nothing?!:p

Well nobody could accuse you of not trying! :D
    As regards the difficulty of buying guitars? Yes it's impossible. Instead of narrowing my list down, everywhere I look I see more lovely options to add to it! God it's impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

I know you're looking for one at around €800, but this Washburn with full solid body is still a steal...

http://www.music123.com/Washburn-WD42S-i102116.music

As long as you don't laugh because its a Washburn, its serious bang for you're buck as those Yanks like to say it.

The Gibson is a nice guitar all right, but you seem to be hung up on brands...so far you've only mentioned Martins and Gibsons.

I cannot advise you strongly enough to try Avalon guitars in Musician Inc, or Stanfords in Perfect Pitch.

Solid wood gives a better tone, and will mature over the years, improving the sound of your guitar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

I bought the bottom of the range (can't remember the model number) Taylor in Musician Inc for about 800 euro, and I am extremely happy with it. I had reservations at first, because the back and sides are not solid wood. But the sound is incredible, and it's semi-acoustic too. Put it this way, it was a significant step up in quality from my then guitar, a Takamine.

I tend to upgrade my guitar every year or two. But I'm determined that my next one is going to be thee guitar, the one I will have for life, and fight a would-be thief to the death to protect. I am going to save up and shell out a couple of grand for it, and whilst I am nowhere near having the money yet, I am already looking about at potentials. Obviously Martin and Taylor rate high on the list of potentials. But I have also heard that Larivee's are beautiful instruments. However, I've never seen one up close and personal in real life (as opposed to the internet).

Ann Scott plays a lovely Laviree, and Mundy used to play one as far as I remember...

They're a quality instrument.

If you're gonna take that step look at: Laviree, Lowden, Avalon, Taylor, McIlroy, Guild, Stanford and Firche guitars. You might have difficulty getting a Laviree here, but the rest you can find. I think you might be able to find Santa Cruz guitars over here too, but it'd be at a push.

Advertisement