Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

putting rivots in your hats

• 01-06-2004 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I was wondering has anyone ever put rivots in their hats.
    How did it sound after you did it, and is it hard do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

That sounds like a really really REALLY bad idea.

If you just HAD to do it, practice on a old crap hi-hat.

This still doesn't guarentee it will turn out fine when you try it on the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I haven't seen them in hats for a while and I don't know if hats would be the place to put them anyway. Sometimes they sound cool on rides (just thinking of some Cream footage I was watching a few days ago and Mike Shrieve playing for Santana at Woodstock) - the idea of hats is that you can shut them up when you want to, wouldn't rivets take that away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

No way would I put rivets in hats.... a ride cymbal yes.... but I'd still make sure it was an old ride cymbal. It can add a nice "sizzle" to the sound of the ride. As far as I know a lot of jazz drummers would do this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Yeah, can't see why you'd do it with hats tbh.
    Get a string of beads from your bath (the ones that the stopper is attached to) and trail them on the ride from the nut. You'll get that really sizzly sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by fitz
    Yeah, can't see why you'd do it with hats tbh.
    Get a string of beads from your bath (the ones that the stopper is attached to) and trail them on the ride from the nut. You'll get that really sizzly sound.

yeah my old drummer used to put a silver neck lace on his splash, sounded cool -sshhhhh!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Sabian do make Hats with rivets in the bottom half.....in the AA range...called
    sizzle hats... you can sound check them here I've heard them myself and they don't sound too bad.. as long as they're just in the bottom half...they give a nice washy effect when semi-closed. I wouldn't really try it out on a good pair of hats..... try an old pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Jon Bonham used to use the old Paiste 2002 hi-hats with holes in the bottom cymbal, so that air escapes quicker when the top hat comes down and you get a crisper feel.

Rivets? In hi-hats? No way! Never! NEVER! NEVVERRRGGGHHH!

I've seen lots of rides with holes (don't say it!) and over time it makes them scructurally unsound and they begin to develop cracks running from the hole to the edge of the cymbal.

Advertisement