Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uni Exam Advice

• 16-12-2008 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey folks, just wanting some people who are at uni's advice on this and if anyone has ever been called into a disciplinary hearing at uni regarding plaguarism/cheating.

The other day we had a class test on a really obscure mathematical subject, it was worth 5% of coursework (which is in total 20%). I havn't been able to study properly this year at uni as i am having major financial difficulties and having to work every god given hour, because i changed courses after two years so this is my sixth year at uni.

There is 150 people in our class and we were spread out among a lecture theatre, people at the back had their notes out and people were sitting beside each other, texting etc etc, the module co-ordinator wasn't there but three of his people were there. Anyways, basically i copied a couple of answers off the person in front of me and it turns out after the test there were three different versions of the test, and the values were different according to what test you got given. There were four questions, i answered number one sort of by myself but second one was direct copy from person in front who had a different paper it turns out. I scribbled down some crap for three and four from theirs but didn't give a finished answer and that was it.

Since this i have been climbing the walls with worry, worst case scenario and i do get scooped for cheating what will happen? Best case scenario i hope the person marking it just thinks im a eejit and gives me zero. Worst thing is i have already passed my coursework. Apparently were not getting the papers back and i have no way of finding out when i will know until i get a successful pass mark next january or not?

This is really affecting my revision for christmas exams as all i can think of is getting thrown out of uni.

Anyone ever been in similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey folks, just wanting some people who are at uni's advice on this and if anyone has ever been called into a disciplinary hearing at uni regarding plaguarism/cheating.

The other day we had a class test on a really obscure mathematical subject, it was worth 5% of coursework (which is in total 20%). I havn't been able to study properly this year at uni as i am having major financial difficulties and having to work every god given hour, because i changed courses after two years so this is my sixth year at uni.

There is 150 people in our class and we were spread out among a lecture theatre, people at the back had their notes out and people were sitting beside each other, texting etc etc, the module co-ordinator wasn't there but three of his people were there. Anyways, basically i copied a couple of answers off the person in front of me and it turns out after the test there were three different versions of the test, and the values were different according to what test you got given. There were four questions, i answered number one sort of by myself but second one was direct copy from person in front who had a different paper it turns out. I scribbled down some crap for three and four from theirs but didn't give a finished answer and that was it.

Since this i have been climbing the walls with worry, worst case scenario and i do get scooped for cheating what will happen? Best case scenario i hope the person marking it just thinks im a eejit and gives me zero. Worst thing is i have already passed my coursework. Apparently were not getting the papers back and i have no way of finding out when i will know until i get a successful pass mark next january or not?

This is really affecting my revision for christmas exams as all i can think of is getting thrown out of uni.

Anyone ever been in similar situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

First, don't worry about being thrown out of Uni, there's no way that that will happen over a class test, the worst you'd have to face is a disciplinary. You've got lots of options anyway if worst comes to worst.

Most likely scenario is it won't be noticed and you just get a crap mark for that test.

Good luck with the rest of the course, I'd try and cut back on the work side if possible... Bar work in 2nd year nearly killed me...

if i got caught i think i'd try and somehow say that i went ta the toilet or had to change seat or something and you must have got a different version of the test somehow after nd that's why your answers are from two different sheets..

i actually don't think that would work now that i think of it but seriously, a class test will be corrected by post-grads who arn't gonna be too much on the lookout for plagiarism.. and you wont be kicked out of college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To be honest, i got caught for it in 1st year for a project. wrong way around though, i was helping a few guys in my class with their code and I, and only I got nailed for Plaguarism and was given a mark of 0. As said earlier, i'd be very suprised if a class test got you expelled, its the end of year and summer ones that usually are the ones taken seriously. Don't worry about it, write it off and keep studying

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paddy353

Oh My GOD!!!! This is hilarious!

You were cheating and at no stage you even realised the numbers were different!

On a serious note, they will probably just cancel your result and give you a formal warning!

LMAO still............

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

First. Admit what you did. They know you did it or you wouldn't be called up on it.

Express how sorry you are and how it will never happen again.

Accept your 0 grade.

Never plagiarise again.

Most universities now use turnitin.com to scan student essays for plagiarised material.

The stupidest example of plagiarism I encountered when tutoring was the group of guys who submitted their Excel projects (basic filtering, making charts etc, subtotaling and a few other things). They all looked the same except they were different colours and formatting. That's grand. And they would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for the pesky "Document created by and on". It was exactly the same for all the assignments.

When called up to explain, they denied it until faced with the evidence and when presented with their lovely duck eggs one of them threatened to sue the University. It was only worth 7.5% of the bloody semester.

Idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

In 1st year I was done for cheating on a final exam I had written down two rules of adding in binary (+1 = 1 and 1+1=0) on my hand and I was caught.

Funny thing was binary addition didnt even come up on the exam :D

I had to sit in front of disciplinary which consisted of the registrar and vice, they asked me why I had written it on my hand I said I had written while studying (which I had) and forgot to wash it off my hand (which I had not).

But my exam was set to 0 and I had to resit the exam in the Autumn but I had gotten 54% in my 1st exam and failed the repeat but passed by compensation.

I had class tests like that in Maths 4 different papers 6 people walking around making sure no one is cheating in a class of 300 students.

But the person marking your exam will not even notice and just give you 0 on your answers and you might get some marks for your 1st question.

I handed up a project yesterday and I have a sneeky feeling that a few of us will be done for plagiarism as we all have the same code as we all helped each other out with the project but till will tell but im not really sweating it.

Advertisement