Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel choice Mavic/Easton/Ritchey

Options
  • 14-04-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Mavic Cosmic Elite vs Easton Vista SL vs Ritchey WCS Protocols

Similar price , know the weights but have you guys had any experience of these wheels

Thoughts Please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Don't forget about Fulcrum or Campag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Needabike wrote: »
    Mavic Cosmic Elite vs Easton Vista SL vs Ritchey WCS Protocols

Similar price , know the weights but have you guys had any experience of these wheels

Thoughts Please

I'm in the same boat, I've been eyeing up both set of wheels lately.

The mavics are probably the most reliable (and best looking imo) and I've only read good reviews but they are about 400 grams heavier then the Ritchey's.

I've been looking into the Protocols for a while now and they don't seem to be a very reliable wheel if your a heavy rider. I think I will go for the Protocols myself as I'm light and at the current price for that weight it's hard not to consider them.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

you should look at campag well the starange thing is fulcrum wheels are made by campag

you should look at campag well the starange thing is fulcrum wheels are made by campag

Why do they sell as Fulcrum and Campag? Did they buy them out at some stage?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    Why do they sell as Fulcrum and Campag? Did they buy them out at some stage?

Nope. Fulcrum was set up by Campagnolo itself. My understanding is they wanted to have another brand for people who didn't like to mix and match Campagnolo and Shimano. I've also read that they wanted to take a slice of the Mavic market by producing Kysrium like wheels. Fulcrum does MTB stuff as well, which Campagnolo got out of years ago.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    ...they wanted to have another brand for people who didn't like to mix and match Campagnolo and Shimano.

But Campag build Shimano compatible wheels also. :confused:
    http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360022681&n=Campagnolo%20Eurus%20Rear%20Wheel

I guess, as you say, it's marketing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    But Campag build Shimano compatible wheels also. :confused:

That's true. I meant people who didn't like having the two brand names mixed on their bike.

That's true. I meant people who didn't like having the two brand names mixed on their bike.

Who are these people? I need names!

You'll find a lot of them on Bikeforums. The 'does the colour of my bottle cage bolts go well with my bar tape' crowd.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Easton Tempest II on my road bike. No complaints. Rock solid. Light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

You'll find a lot of them on Bikeforums. The 'does the colour of my bottle cage bolts go well with my bar tape' crowd.

I thought that was vital? I looked so long and hard for white bolts for the new Focus and all :eek:

:D

Advertisement