Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are they now?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

thesultan wrote: »
    A few Kerry boys Declan Quill, Ian twiss ,paddy kelly and padraig Reidy. .

Declan Quill was unluckly in that the Gooch came along at the same time as him, and he probally never really was given a chance in the championship.

Padraig Reidy probally never really recovered from the 2008 All-Ireland final, he was still around the pnael for a few years but never seemed to be the same.

Paddy Kelly was too busy transfering club every few years to make it back on the panel. Was last playing with Listowel about 10 years ago and haven't really heard anything about him since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

B
    conor05 wrote: »
    I think I read somehere before he was going on to be a doctor and couldn’t combine the study and inter county.

He was a very classy centre back

AND is a GP. Was classy surely but maybe a little slow and perhaps injury-prone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Bonniedog wrote: »
    when they beat us in 2008 (?) 21s final, I thought he was Galway's most effective player, Dublin had some very good forwards, Connolly was on the team, and they got little change that day.

That was 2007, not 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

conor05 wrote:
    I think I read somehere before he was going on to be a doctor and couldn’t combine the study and inter county.

He's a consultant now. Came back to hurl for Mellows has done his cruciate two years running so his hurling is probably behind him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

thesultan wrote: »
    A few Kerry boys Declan Quill, Ian twiss ,paddy kelly and padraig Reidy. .

Twiss was only ever a good free taker- nowhere near county standard as a player.

Quill was an excellent club player and back boned KOR for years but being very one legged limited his county exposure- still played a lot of league ball with Kerry

Reidy was solid but probably a little below the standard aswell but came along when Kerry were very strong in defence. Marked Conor cox off the pitch a few weeks ago in the county championship so he’s still able to handle good club players.

Paddy Kelly- as said above: who knows where he is but I never rated him as being a very top level footballer. Funnily enough I think he’s more suited to the game as it’s played now as opposed to the game of the 00’s. he wasn’t really a fetching midfielder of note but was a very powerful runner.

Twiss was only ever a good free taker- nowhere near county standard as a player.

Quill was an excellent club player and back boned KOR for years but being very one legged limited his county exposure- still played a lot of league ball with Kerry

Reidy was solid but probably a little below the standard aswell but came along when Kerry were very strong in defence. Marked Conor cox off the pitch a few weeks ago in the county championship so he’s still able to handle good club players.

Paddy Kelly- as said above: who knows where he is but I never rated him as being a very top level footballer. Funnily enough I think he’s more suited to the game as it’s played now as opposed to the game of the 00’s. he wasn’t really a fetching midfielder of note but was a very powerful runner.

Didn't say anything about Twiss as he was never really a standout even at club level.

Whenever Quill got a start in the championship he tended to always be wing forward when he was always an inside forward.

Paddy Kelly was also a strange one i thought. He played minor and U21 for 3 years yet never seemed to actually be good! I think he played with New York at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

cms88 wrote: »
    Didn't say anything about Twiss as he was never really a standout even at club level.

Whenever Quill got a start in the championship he tended to always be wing forward when he was always an inside forward.

Paddy Kelly was also a strange one i thought. He played minor and U21 for 3 years yet never seemed to actually be good! I think he played with New York at some stage

He did play with New York actually, forgot about that.
    Yeah I agree - I never saw much from him either to be honest but Jack had frightening loyalty to players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

In Cork we lost a few players with massive potential changing over to professional sports.

Setanta O HAilpín changed over to Aussie Rules in 2004 joining club Carlton. He was Young Hurler of the Year in 2003.

Darren Sweetnam played for Cork in 2012, scoring 3 points from midfield against Tipp in the championship. Opted for rugby. Now a Munster regular and has Irish caps under his belt.

There was also a lad in Cork called Pa O Callaghan who had tremendous ability growing up. He looked to be the next Joe Canning, dominating the scoring in every game he played for his club, school and county. When he turned 20, 21 he got a run of injuries but also seemed to have lost interest. A pity as he had great potential.

Yeah Pa O'Callaghan has a falling out with minor management

Came back one year under 21 but refused to play for the seniors

One of the biggest talents in Cork that never quite made it senior was Conrad Murphy. Was brilliant minor in 2000. Crocked with hamstring injuries after that

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Good piece here on Kerry's Jack Ferriter. Another one who didn't get the rub of the green and a bit of bad luck it seems.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/jack-ferriter-kerry-417200

Re: Pa O'Callaghan for cork. Probably the best club hurler in cork for a number of years. Looks to have put a bit of weight on the last few years. I believe he had a baby young and coupled with the falling out with Minor management probably didn't suit him to give his time to the Cork. Still young enough however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Kingston should still have a word with O'Callaghan even though I doubt he would actually commit to being on the panel

Def talented enough if we could get his fitness up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Another Loais one is Michael Tierney. What ever came of him? Robbie Tasker from Armagh as well? Was on on the minor winning team in 2009? You could say the same about most of the Rosccomon minor team fron 2006 as well
    Robbie Tasker is in prison. Brilliant footballer but he was always a scumbag even from a young age and eventually was ousted by Cullyhanna and Armagh GAA. Drug dealer who robbed and threatened a Dundalk taxi driver after a night out. Many of that Armagh minor team backbone the current senior team, including soupy Campbell who although not on the 09 winning side was probably the best from that crop of players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

There was a Tipp player a few years ago called ‘joe ceasar’ Anyone know what happened to him......did Brutus catch up with him....did he emigrate to Rome??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

David Bray Made his debut in 09 when Meath reached semi final. Scored winning goal v Mayo in quater final. Many believed he was better talent then brother Stephen. He had serious pace and looked a huge prospect. While he won county title with O Mahonys , he suffered two cruciate injuries in a few seasons and never played a championship match for Meath again. He retired from inter county game in his mid 20s.

Cian Ward had a decent career for Meath but bigger things were expected. He is still doing business with Wolfe Tones , and an excellent pundit with Parkinson. He was let go to early by Mick O Dowd , but he never really delivered on promise. The 4 points from frees in last 15 mins as a sub v to give Meath draw v Dublin in 07 , the brillant goal v Dublin in 10 and 4 goals scored in championship match v Louth in 2011 showed his promise. But he could have been a Meath great. The chopping and changing of managers didnt help him or Brian Farrell or Joe Sheridans career.

Conor Gillespie made his debut in 2012 at 21 and according to Jack O Shea gave midfield performance of the year in leinster semi final v kildare. Again in 2013 he was brillant at midfield v Dubs on leinster final which was last time any team in leinster got close to Dublin. He was instrumental of Summerhill winning 2 county titles at time. But after 2013 with his back injury he made very few performances and never played in championship again for Meath. In 2015 he played final game for Meath a league game v Down in Newry and he again put on exhibition of midfield play. But that was it . He had to retire at 25 with back injury. For me he had it all to be top class midfielder. He could have been John McDermont for Meath in this decade. He had it all and had brillant kick pass similar to David Moran. He is no longer playing football, but was selector on current Meath minor team

Gillespie was not only player that could have been great midfielder for Meath. The other was Shane O Rourke, Colms son. Shane could have become one of best players in country . He won leinster minor for Meath. He the. made his debut at full forward in 2007 at 19 the year Meath reached All Ireland semi final and beat great Tyrone team of 00s in q final. He looked like a real prospect at 19. And had also played a huge role in St Pats winning All Ireland schools final. He suffered injuries after 2007 in 09 but returned in 2010 when Meath won leinster . He had it al. People in 07 where calling him Meaths Kieran Donaghy . But he wasnt a target man. He could score of two feet. He got injured after 2010. But returned as a midfielder in 2011 2012. I felt he wasnt the same player when he came back in 2011 but he reinvented himself as a midfielder.

He gave a brillant performance in Navan in championship in 2011 v kildare and he looked like he had all the abilities to become one best midfielders in the country. But he suffered a injury to his back and while he won 2 county titles with Simonstown in last few seasons. After 2014 he never played championship for Meath again. He basically is retired from inter county game at 27. He has played very little club football in last 12 months. But came on as sub in Meath club q final at weekend and scored excellent point. He cannot train properly and his back injury is very sore. A huge loss to Meath.

If Meath had Conor Gillespie and Shane O Rourke at midfield this year ( both are still 27 ) they would have had one best midfield partnerships in the country instead we had two wing backs at centre field. David Bray is in his late 20s and he is a player that could have also been a real player for Meath.

And throw in Conor Nash heading to Auzzie rules ( Nash was probably most exciting young Meath talent since Geraghty played minor in 90 and under 21 in 1993. Nash is also a midfielder.)
    If Meath had Gillespie, O Rourke and Nash all options at midfield, Meath would have had midfield up their with Dublin and kerry. Players like Shane O Rourke and Conor Nash are irreplaceable. Throw in Harry Rooney who also look a good prospect for midfield in 2014 and 2015. While not as good Gillespie or O Rourke he could have replaced them. But he hasnt played a championship match for Meath since 2015 , he went travelling the world for 2 years , he came back for 1 league campaign , but left before last years championship. He is 26 played for Skyrne at weekend in club w final. He is another option Meath lost at midfield. Then throw in Ronan Jones who made his debut in 2017 and was excellent v louth in championship. He would be in my view best midfielder in Meath. But he hadnt played since 2017 as he has spent last 2 years studying in US. The hope was he would be back this year , but that might materialise as he might be staying in US for another year. He is 24.

So Meath have been lost 5 potential midfielders in last few years eg Conor Gillespie; Shane O Rourke, Conor Nash , Harry Rooney and Ronan Jones . Theyre no county in Ireland that wouldnt find it difficult to lose all the midfielders. Thats why we had to turn Menton who really is wing back into midfielder and why Menton has had 8 different midfield partners for Meath in last 2 years eg Shane McEntee, Adam Flanagan, Harry Rooney , Cian O Brien, James Toher , Sean Toibin, Ronan Jones and Brian Conlon. And currently we have had to turn Shane McEntee a wing back into midfielder. And u seen in last ten mins v Donegal, Mayo and kerry the issues this caused. Meaths main problem in last ten minutes v Mayo , Donegal and Kerry was Meath were struggling at midfield. The goalie was under pressure with kickouts. But if Meath had Gillespie, O Rourke, Nash or Jones at centre field it would have really helped.

But overall due to injuries Shane O Rourke, Conor Gillespie and David Bray were huge loses for Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Road-Hog wrote: »
    There was a Tipp player a few years ago called ‘joe ceasar’ Anyone know what happened to him......did Brutus catch up with him....did he emigrate to Rome??

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

Sonny678 wrote: »

Conor Gillespie made his debut in 2012 at 21 and according to Jack O Shea gave midfield performance of the year in leinster semi final v kildare. Again in 2013 he was brillant at midfield v Dubs on leinster final which was last time any team in leinster got close to Dublin. He was instrumental of Summerhill winning 2 county titles at time. But after 2013 with his back injury he made very few performances and never played in championship again for Meath. In 2015 he played final game for Meath a league game v Down in Newry and he again put on exhibition of midfield play. But that was it . He had to retire at 25 with back injury. For me he had it all to be top class midfielder. He could have been John McDermont for Meath in this decade. He had it all and had brillant kick pass similar to David Moran. He is no longer playing football, but was selector on current Meath minor team

Very hard on Meath, and cruel for Gillespie. HS had an article up saying Gillespie went back playing seconds last year, is he gone again?
    April 16, 2018

Conor Gillespie on 'Maor Uisce' duty for Summerhill last year.
    Injury-plagued former Meath player Conor Gillespie made a welcome return to the playing field yesterday.

Gillespie's inter-county career was cut short by a serious knee injury that has forced him to watch from the sideline these past couple of years.

He hung up his inter-county boots in late 2016 having not worn the county jersey since the end of the 2015 league.

The midfielder also missed out on Summerhill's run to last year's Keegan Cup decider.

However, he featured as a substitute for the 'Hill's second team as they shared the JFC spoils with Gaeil Colmcille and, no doubt, club supporters will be hoping they'll see plenty more of him in the club colours in the months ahead.

• Advertisement

sk9 wrote: »
    Very hard on Meath, and cruel for Gillespie. HS had an article up saying Gillespie went back playing seconds last year, is he gone again?

Summerhill his club are in Meath senior club semi final and he isnt playing. No he is not playing. He was selector for Meath minors this year. Himself and Shane O Rourke wud have made a great midfield. O Rourke came on for Simonstown at weekend in quater final. Fist time he has played in a while. I dont think he can train properly. I doubt we will see him with Meath seniors again. In those last ten mins v Donegal, Mayo and kerry if Meath had a midfield partnership of O Rourke and Gillespie I think it would have helped Meath greatly. The loss of Nash to Auzzie rules is a massive blow always. And the best yoing midfielder in Meath currently Cian McBride 19 year old is going on trails for Auzzie Rules. If he heads to Australia that would be another potential Meath mid fielder unavailable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can anybody shed any light on this one ?...

In secondary school in North Dublin around 1994 we had in our school a young Christian Brother by the name of Kelly teach us History.... one year only... nice fella, real good teacher... for a couple of years he was in and around the league panel for the senior Meath footballers, got a bit of game time but he was beset by injury as his career was taking off and he never got the chance to really establish himself... by all accounts he departed the Brothers not long after... just wonder if anyone knew what became of him ? Not sure of the first name, big lad about 6’4 though.

Strumms wrote: »
    Can anybody shed any light on this one ?...

In secondary school in North Dublin around 1994 we had in our school a young Christian Brother by the name of Kelly teach us History.... one year only... nice fella, real good teacher... for a couple of years he was in and around the league panel for the senior Meath footballers, got a bit of game time but he was beset by injury as his career was taking off and he never got the chance to really establish himself... by all accounts he departed the Brothers not long after... just wonder if anyone knew what became of him ? Not sure of the first name, big lad about 6’4 though.

I could be wrong but that sounds like Sean kelly. He would have made his debut in the 4 games v Dublin in 1991 and was around the panel for a few years. He became a coach and was jiont manager when Navan O Mahoneys won senior club title in Meath in 2008. He was coach of the Meath senior team under O Brien, when Meath reached All Ireland semi final in 09 and won leinster in 10. He was very vocal when Banty got Meath job . Kelly hit out at 'Banty's' appointment in a strongly-worded letter to a local newspaper in 2010, claiming that Meath had handed over "the keys of Tara" by breaking with tradition and opting for an 'outside' manager. I think thats who you r talking about the only other Kelly who played for Meath was Evan Kelly in last 30 years, but I think its Sean Kelly ur talking about. His club is Dunderry and he was teaching in Drogheda circa 2010. I think he was appointed as 'Head of Football Coaching' in Meath in 2016. I think he is football development officer in the county now. I hope that helps.

Some Young Footballer/Hurler of the Year winners what happened to them?

Football

1999 was Philip Clifford. Was Cork captain for that years All-Ireland final. Don't think he played a whole lot after that.

2004 Niall Tinney was the Fermanagh keeper that year. Again don't remember him playing muc h after that

Hurling

1997 Eugene O'Neill from Tipp. Must have finished up young enough?

1998 Stephen Byrne was an All-Star as well that year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Summerhill his club are in Meath senior club semi final and he isnt playing. No he is not playing. He was selector for Meath minors this year. Himself and Shane O Rourke wud have made a great midfield. O Rourke came on for Simonstown at weekend in quater final. Fist time he has played in a while. I dont think he can train properly. I doubt we will see him with Meath seniors again. In those last ten mins v Donegal, Mayo and kerry if Meath had a midfield partnership of O Rourke and Gillespie I think it would have helped Meath greatly. The loss of Nash to Auzzie rules is a massive blow always. And the best yoing midfielder in Meath currently Cian McBride 19 year old is going on trails for Auzzie Rules. If he heads to Australia that would be another potential Meath mid fielder unavailable.
    It really is a case of what might have been with Gillespie and O'Rourke, couldn't have put it better than your OP. Gillespie was really becoming an excellent midfielder until his injury. Same with O'Rourke. And David Bray in the forwards. He dismantled Mayo in Croke Park in 2009 only to get 2 cruciate injuries in 2 years. I think he did come back to the panel again but was never the same afterwards.

Agree about Cian Ward as well. He scored 5 points as a sub in his debut against Dublin in 2007. Should have been on the team long before that, in my view. He was deceptively quick with the ball and destroyed many a team on his own with Wolfe Tones (including my own). But he was just so inconsistent. He could put a 60m free over the bar in one game and miss a 20m free from straight in front of the posts in the next game. In the game against Galway straight after his 4 goal Louth game, he couldn't hit a barn door.

I suppose you could say Nash was a loss but if he didn't go to Aussie Rules, I'd imagine he'd have been playing rugby with Leinster. Heard an interview with him on the We Are Meath podcast a few years ago and he didn't seem like he ever really wanted to step up to the Meath panel. And, to be fair to him, I can't blame him when he had the option of a professional career in AFL or rugby on the table.

I am slightly worried at the drain of players we've had over the last number of years which are non-injury related. You mentioned Ronan Jones already but Donal Lenehan went travelling this year (but is back now). I don't think Eamonn or Joey Wallace have much intention of coming back to the Meath panel and Padraig McKeever seems to have opted out as well. Seems to be a big issue with keeping our best players interested in Meath recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Some Young Footballer/Hurler of the Year winners what happened to them?

Football

1999 was Philip Clifford. Was Cork captain for that years All-Ireland final. Don't think he played a whole lot after that.

2004 Niall Tinney was the Fermanagh keeper that year. Again don't remember him playing muc h after that

Hurling

1997 Eugene O'Neill from Tipp. Must have finished up young enough?

1998 Stephen Byrne was an All-Star as well that year

Philip Clifford had a bad knee but played about seven or so years after.

Remember hearing a story about O'Neill and the neutron diet of the time and he actually put on weight. Ate a ton of sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I could be wrong but that sounds like Sean kelly. He would have made his debut in the 4 games v Dublin in 1991 and was around the panel for a few years. He became a coach and was jiont manager when Navan O Mahoneys won senior club title in Meath in 2008. He was coach of the Meath senior team under O Brien, when Meath reached All Ireland semi final in 09 and won leinster in 10. He was very vocal when Banty got Meath job . Kelly hit out at 'Banty's' appointment in a strongly-worded letter to a local newspaper in 2010, claiming that Meath had handed over "the keys of Tara" by breaking with tradition and opting for an 'outside' manager. I think thats who you r talking about the only other Kelly who played for Meath was Evan Kelly in last 30 years, but I think its Sean Kelly ur talking about. His club is Dunderry and he was teaching in Drogheda circa 2010. I think he was appointed as 'Head of Football Coaching' in Meath in 2016. I think he is football development officer in the county now. I hope that helps.

The name Seán is rings a bell actually. Yes that was his name...Seeing pictures of him, difficult to be sure you are talking 23-25 years ago but certainly there is a likeness and the name all be it a very common one fits, thanks...

Michael Lyng from Cavan. I remember about 2004/05 he was very good when he came along. What came of him? Would be about Seanie Johnston age. I know Cavan wouldn't have been in the best of places at the time so might have packed it in over that. Martin Dunne fron Cavan was another. Was he the top scoer in the Championship in maybe 2012/13?

Advertisement