Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlo Audio Doorbell

Options
  • 23-07-2018 5:11pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A new addition to the smart doorbell concept, Arlo Audio Doorbell:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/doorbell/announcement.html

Similar to Ring and Nest doorbell, but with one key difference, it doesn't have a camera, it is audio only!

Of course the idea is that most people will pair it with an Arlo outdoor camera overlooking the door. Not a bad idea if your already bought into the Arlo ecosystem.

No price announced yet and it isn't quiet clear if it most be wired to the doorbell or if it can go completely wireless too, from the pics, it comes with batteries, but also can be wired to the doorbell, so it might be the case that both options are possible.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Good idea, especially for anyone with poor broadband. Plenty of Ring users who dont get the full experience of video due to poor connection here.

One downside I can see with this, the phone rings and you answer the call to speak to the person at the door. You cant instantly view the feed from your camera, without navigating through the app while on the call?

Using Ring, its one notification, one easy tap and directly into the video and audio hassle free (assuming good connection).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Davy wrote: »
    Good idea, especially for anyone with poor broadband. Plenty of Ring users who dont get the full experience of video due to poor connection here.

One downside I can see with this, the phone rings and you answer the call to speak to the person at the door. You cant instantly view the feed from your camera, without navigating through the app while on the call?

Using Ring, its one notification, one easy tap and directly into the video and audio hassle free (assuming good connection).

We will have to wait and see when it is actually released and reviewed, but from the looks of the screenshots on the page, if you have an Arlo camera overlooking the doorbell, then I say you can link it to the doorbell in the app, so that when some one rings the doorbell, you get both the audio and video straight away without needing to navigate around for the camera.

And that would make logical sense and shouldn't be too difficult for the developers to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Has anyone gotten one of these? The price seems good but I think you need to get the Chime with it too for an audible doorbell in the house. I'm also not sure where you can buy it within the EU... I only see it on their US site and Amazon US.

The obvious downside to it is the lack of video but I have the Arlo cameras so I have the doorway covered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The app looks good, and I like the pre-recorded messages for quick response. Very handy if you are not able to talk.

In the video, I notice how they turn and face the camera. This wont in RL so not sure its better than the Ring. The doorbell itself doesn't look as good as the Ring in my opinion.

https://www.arlo.com/eu/products/arlo-doorbell/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Agreed that it doesn't look great. For something with no in-built camera, I was hoping for a much smaller device. I guess the battery is a big factor in that.

• Advertisement

Just bumping this again because Arlo have caved and added a Video Doorbell along side the Audio only doorbell.

Doesn't look great imo but has a few differences to other doorbells. The quick response options of pre-recorded messages are a handy feature. Has a siren feature for security if the situation should arise.

Advertisement