Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University of California

Options
  • 23-05-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if I could get some first hand advice from anybody who has studied in any of the UC campuses (Berkeley Davis San Diego etc). I am thinking about exchanging for a year and would like to find out the general expenses of daily life and life out there.

Thanks!:):

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

I'm in UCLA, the area is very very expensive (surrounded by Bel Air, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Brentwood, Santa Monica...), but you'll probably get access to shared student accommodation which is probably more like $500/month. You can eat very cheaply however, and the food choice is absolutely amazing. You are basically in little Persia, nearby is the smaller of two Japan towns...

I don't know how much your exchange programme would cost however.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

UC Santa Cruz is a good college located in a nice spot! I could imagine the rent is cheaper then down south in LA. Lots to do and see in your free time as well!

I'll echo that: UC Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara have amazing campus locations, right on the beach.

UCLA has the Sunset Strip and Hollywood nearby too, which is quite the nightlife experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

UCSC is a great campus with deer roaming and even warnings about mountain lions. Its very offbeat and alternative and would definitely be seen as one of the more liberal universities in the US. 4:20 day is almost a religious festival on that campus. During the winter season it gets pretty misty just like the Bay Area does but in Autumn and Spring its beautiful and the town itself has everything you need.
    Private accomodation in the town is relatively expensive by US standards unfortunately but you could always live in student accomodation on the campus which might be better priced.

Then again it all depends really what you are going to study, like if its to do with Psychology or Sociology or Humanties in general then UCSC is pretty good but if it was Engineering then most of the other UCs would be streets ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

UCSD is beautiful. La Jolla is a gorgeous place, as is San Diego. Wished I still lived there some times. Gorgeous weather as well, complete opposite of here. It's sunny all the time. If it does rain, it's very brief and then the sun is out by noon. The beaches there are great as well.

What program of study are you exchanging for? That might help in deciding where to go as well.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Was looking to exchange with English and Economics. San diego Berkely and Davis would be my main hopes. They have handball programmes which Id love to get in on.

Davis is a nice town, but its a smaller college town, and a good hours train trip from San Francisco. I'd prefer Berkeley and San Diego for the location experience personally.

CathalMc wrote: »
    Davis is a nice town, but its a smaller college town, and a good hours train trip from San Francisco. I'd prefer Berkeley and San Diego for the location experience personally.

Thanks for all the help guys i started the thread months ago and never thought Id get a response! Have to make up my mind by November and with this recession, my funds I doubt will be able to cope with the flights even!

I would also consider looking at the classes offered during the term you'll be there. The schools might have different courses that you'll be more interested in. Best of luck.

If you're worried about flights, have a look at continental airlines. You can find return flights for around 600e (to San Diego at least) and they fly direct to the US, though you'll have a stopover in Newark, NJ usually.

Im going over to Arizona State Uni in February and the cheapest flights are over €500 already. They seem to have risen alot in the past year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Im going over to Arizona State Uni in February and the cheapest flights are over €500 already. They seem to have risen alot in the past year!

I used to live in Phoenix... make sure you pack suncream! and lots of cool pops too :pac:

I used to live in Phoenix... make sure you pack suncream! and lots of cool pops too :pac:

Will do:D Shouldnt be as warm though in February as usual so should fine!:cool:
    Btw any thing worth seeing in Phoenix?

My friend did her undergrad there, it is a noted party college, you're going to have a ball.

Phoenix is so hot that shops and restaurants spray you with water as you walk by to keep you cool, its insane. I was only there for a concert, so I didn't get to see much I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 matmacfarlane

Hey guys,

I've just been nominated for an exchange to a University of California campus.
    Im studying electrical engineering in ucd at the moment. Would you have any advice on which campuses would suit engineering best, as well as where the craic is to be had and which campuses to steer clear from??

Cheers!

Hey guys,

I've just been nominated for an exchange to a University of California campus.
    Im studying electrical engineering in ucd at the moment. Would you have any advice on which campuses would suit engineering best, as well as where the craic is to be had and which campuses to steer clear from??

Cheers!

I'd go to Berkeley if you can. It's a beautiful area not too far from San Fran. They are a top ranked Engineering school. They are ranked 3rd in the US News rankings. A friend of mine went there for structural engineering and loved it. Their Electrical Engineering program is a top program as well.

Best of luck and enjoy your time in Cali. I miss living there some times. It's the only US State I would move back to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 matmacfarlane

Cheers for the quick reply!

Unfortunately the Berkeley electrical program doesnt accept exchange students although the rest of them do. Its the one id love to go to but unfortunately i cant... Im sure the rest will be equally good fun tho!

Cheers for the quick reply!

Unfortunately the Berkeley electrical program doesnt accept exchange students although the rest of them do. Its the one id love to go to but unfortunately i cant... Im sure the rest will be equally good fun tho!

Yeah, Cali is great fun. Since Berkeley is out, I would recommend San Diego. La Jolla is a beautiful area; however, it is a bit outside of the City. The campus is gorgeous. I love the library there. To me, San Diego is more beautiful and much cleaner than Los Angeles, though LA isn't too bad I guess. I'm not the biggest fan though. I could live with never being in LA again. It's a top 15 engineering school, ranked just above UCLA.

Advertisement