Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in Scotland

Options
  • 08-09-2009 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi I was just wondering if someone could clarify something for me. I'm looking at possible applying for a course in a uni in Edinburgh and a friend of mine who
    had applied for a course in Edinburgh as well, had been told that irish students dont need to pay any fees - or at least until they earn a certain amount like E25,000 a year.

Now ive tried to look for confirmation of this and have tried contacting the uni several times but havent been able to get an answer.

ive been told also that irish students do have to pay fees so im not sure if we do or if we dont!

Does anyone know for sure what the standing is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

hey check out saas site for scotland,it has information on free fees for scotland,it depends on type of course and length of course etc

http://www.student-support-saas.gov.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Thanks man ill give it a good read but looks like I dont have to pay anything! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

there are deadlines for applying and colleges have to nominate you for the funding so id look into it asap

there are deadlines for applying and colleges have to nominate you for the funding so id look into it asap

cool thanks again, i actually dont want to go until Sept 2010 or August whenever the term starts so i should have a bit of time but still looking into it.

I did receive an email back from Edinburgh Napier which said I would be entitled to get my fees paid for and not have to pay them back :D

just have to worry about accomodation now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

I'm in the same boat!

I'm thinking of apply to Aberdeen for a postgraduate course and finding it hard to get the info on whether EU students pay fees!

Certain websites say no, others say yes and then some say you have to pay it back when you've secured employment!

Sooooo confusing!!!

• Advertisement

ComaWhite wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat!

I'm thinking of apply to Aberdeen for a postgraduate course and finding it hard to get the info on whether EU students pay fees!

Certain websites say no, others say yes and then some say you have to pay it back when you've secured employment!

Sooooo confusing!!!

It is very confusing! I emailed Edinburgh Napier and they confirmed we wouldnt have to pay fees, not only that she said its not a loan...we dont have to pay back the fees! :D we cant qualify for any accommodation loan or anything but free fees is pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

sweet you just answered my question for me, i was curious about the fee's situation also. I wanna go to Napier too. I was thinking of doing two years here in Ballyfermot but i decided to just save till next year for Napier. Is this the same for all courses in napier or just some of them? Can i ask how old you are and what course your thinking of doing?

steve_ wrote: »
    sweet you just answered my question for me, i was curious about the fee's situation also. I wanna go to Napier too. I was thinking of doing two years here in Ballyfermot but i decided to just save till next year for Napier. Is this the same for all courses in napier or just some of them? Can i ask how old you are and what course your thinking of doing?

The only obstacle will be accommodation, on site campus seems a bit expensive some are 84 sterling a week which seemed to be cheapest but i must admit i havent search that much so i could be wrong.

Im 25 and Im going to be doing graphic design. I dont think the mature student thing comes into to be eligable, i couldnt see anywhere on thes site that said it and when i emailed someone i said i was 25 but they said nothing about mature student

what are you thinking of studying?

i was thinking of doing graphic design also although id like to do web design but the course they do is only years 3 and 4 and you have to come from a HND course to attend

im actually leaning towards the interactive media design course, looks more my kinda thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

gibson wrote: »
    The only obstacle will be accommodation, on site campus seems a bit expensive some are 84 sterling a week which seemed to be cheapest but i must admit i havent search that much so i could be wrong.

Im 25 and Im going to be doing graphic design. I dont think the mature student thing comes into to be eligable, i couldnt see anywhere on thes site that said it and when i emailed someone i said i was 25 but they said nothing about mature student

what are you thinking of studying?

I thought qualification for mature student was from 23 years old onward.
    Im doing my fourth year at Edinburgh Napier, BA Hons journalism course. I wouldnt worry too much about accommodation, there are plenty of rooms to rent in the city, far cheaper than campus accommodation. It just means for next July you post and look at ads on websites such as Gumtree and Edinburgh Studentpad and secure yer flat for September, so you can have that final bash at the Electric Picnic, thats what I done this year anyway. I had to fly over to Scotland in the middle of August to put a deposit down for my room.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

Im doing my fourth year at Edinburgh Napier.

Im looking into Napier as a possible choice for Psychology, any thoughts on the college?.. Worth applying to? Im heading over for the Open Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

I know someone doing medicine in Glasgow and does not havee to pay fees. Once you get involved online with SAAS..students awards agency for scotland.. their system is very efficient and even telephone contact they are very helpful. SAAS pay the fees direct to the college. While Glasgow university say that fees are not payable by EU students or Scottish i met someone recently whose daughter is at Robert Gordon Uni in aberdeen and she pays fees and their website say EU students have to pay so I really dont know why some and others dont. as a matter of interest if someone could clarify i would appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

I think I can claim citizenship (I was born in Belfast), and there is no option for this on the link. Can anyone tell me what the story is with my situation as there is no option for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BrendanMG

Do the free fees just apply to undergrad. courses, or does it also apply to postgrads?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

I dont think it applies to post grad but if you have a look at the SAAS website it may answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

No, it doesn't apply to postgrads.

Advertisement