Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 1982

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I wasn't alive for this, but my Dad lived near Tara and he said the snow was 6 feet high in parts. He got buried once and had to be pulled out with a rope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Blizzerthj8

hey - sorry! Try this http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/The-Big-Snow-January-1982/229933821825?ref=ts

hope it works.... been a mad snowy new year!

It that doesn't work - log in to facebook and put "Big Snow 1982" in the search box.. it should come up as a public page. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Is january 2010 going to be the new january1982?

looks like it! Did you here about the pub in yorkshire where there are STILL 60 people partying, still snowed in? !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

looks like it! Did you here about the pub in yorkshire where there are STILL 60 people partying, still snowed in? !!

Since 1982?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Since 1982?

hahahahahahahaha

a 28 year lock in! Scary thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Since 1982?

Haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Poochie05

We were visiting relatives in France for Christmas 81/New Year 82 and they had no snow by the time we left. When we got off the boat in Cork, the customs man recommended we took the coast road to get home to Wicklow as it was not as bad as other roads, but warned we could have a bit of trouble around Enniscorthy. He didn't emphasise how bad it was and we hadn't heard any reports when we were in France so my Dad thought it was just some minor weather and set out on our way until the car skidded dramatically just outside Dungarvan. As the whole family was in the car and it was dark, we stayed the night in a shabby damp hotel that had books holding up one end of the bed - we slept with our clothes on it was so cold. We set out the next day and on advice decided to try taking the N9 from Waterford and coming back down to Wicklow from Dublin. We got as far as my aunt's in Killiney and had to spend the night there. The next day we got as far as our housing estate in Wicklow but got stuck at the entrance and could not go any further. So near and yet so far!. Needless to say we were happy to get home - took us longer to get from Cork to Wicklow than it took to get from Roscoff to Cork. Thankfully one of our neighbours had dug all around our house so there was no damage due to snow melting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

it snowed last 2009 in april/march and it was heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

A few press cuttings from January 1982...

From the Indo on Thursday 7th Jan, the day the snow started to fall...

288mnbn.png

"A few wintry showers"

312el5c.png

2dlm34g.png

fogiv6.png

23uw4w.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I remember '82 well - was about 14 at the time, and we lived in Harolds Cross. There was overnight heavy snow falls, followed by a week or 10 days of subzero temperatures. The snow compacted on the roads and formed a solid ice layer about 18 inches thick. We had some friends of my parents staying with us, they lived in Tallaght and worked in the city centre and were unable to get home for about a week due to the condition of the roads. Cars were abandoned all over the place.

I remember going shopping with the folks, the local supermarket opened but the shelves were almost bare - was quite eerie actually. Very few trucks could get around to make deliveries. Milk, bread, eggs etc were rationed and when any came in it was sold out in hours.

A lot of folks went home after the thaw not having been in their houses for over a week, unfortunately many went home to burst pipes and water damage. I remember when the thaw came there was an almighty crash in the front garden one afternoon, it was a mini avalanche of snow sliding off the roof. It tore all the gutters off the front of the house. They were heavy cast iron gutters too, if anyone had been standing underneath they could have been killed! It was an interesting few days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Soundlib

That's some picture:)

I was 10 in January 1982. I was in Dublin, and when I stood on solid ground where snow had been cleared outside buildings, the bank of snow was taller than myself. Remember having to stay in a lot.

On the eve of the first blizzard, two brothers and three of their sons were lost in a boating accident on Tacumshin Lake, Co. Wexford, and the search for their bodies was the main headline for the next few days - recovery being made difficult by the inclement weather.

I've much happier memories of snowfalls in Dublin in January 1984, and January (17th-19th) 1985 which got us days off school on both occasions. afaicr. they were at least as good as Jan '87, but '82 was the daddy of'm all.

It snowed again in Dublin in March 1985 - just a dusting on the ground for a night.

Possibly in November, 1978, I remember making my first snowman - in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I remember 82 well. I was 7 at the time. I was living up in the Wicklow mountains, we got snowed in for 2 weeks. The air corps had to drop us food it was that bad. I have not experienced anything as bad since.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I remember 82 well. I was 7 at the time. I was living up in the Wicklow mountains, we got snowed in for 2 weeks. The air corps had to drop us food it was that bad. I have not experienced anything as bad since.

I was 6 at the time and haven't experienced anything that good since :D

Edit - by that I mean in the weather, I have experienced other good things since...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I remember the snow of January 1982 like it was yesterday.

It will be 30 years ago next month! :eek:

Was living in Bray at the time and remember the (then) new 2FM staying on air all night with Gerry Ryan giving updates.

(The pirate stations had been on 24/7 since the late 70s - 2FM was RTE's response).

Putland Road was impassable - by the following morning the Loughlinstown dual-carriageway was blocked cutting Bray off from the City.

They used JCBs to clear it leaving scrape marks on the surface that remained till the mid 1990s!

Even in Bray at the seafront nearly a foot of snow fell in about 24 hours and it froze for over a week afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

January 1982 probably stands as the best month ever to be a school kid in Ireland because for much of the month, there was no school. Three short but intense snowstorms painted Ireland white for the best part of three weeks. The heaviest fall was a 36-hour blizzard which began on January 7th. The east was the worst affected area, with Dublin City notching up some 2.5-ft in some parts, while the drifts rose to five and six feet in the suburbs. Hundreds of motorists were rescued from their cars on the Naas dual carriageway. There were a further two weighty falls over a ten day period which, combined with snow showers drifting in from the Irish Sea, added to the snow that had already frozen and compacted on the ground. That made for ideal tobogganing conditions, not least because temperatures were mild either side of the snowstorm, and the hills were alive with youngsters jetting off down the slopes on wooden sleighs, old car bonnets and fertilizer bags. Postmen, milkmen and council workers got around with snow chains while snowmobile sales also rocketed. The government duly appointed the late Michael O’Leary, subsequently nicknamed the ‘Minister for Snow’, to coordinate emergency services. Power cuts and bread and milk shortages were widespread for a while but, talking to anyone who remembers it, you get an overriding sense that everybody secretly loved it.

http://www.turtlebunbury.com/history/history_irish/history_irish_big_snow.htm

Ahhhh 1982, the one I can tell my grandchildren about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It all started exactly 30 years ago tonight. It started to snow around 11pm on the 7th and it was still snowing the next morning which was a Friday. It wasn't anything special, just a moderate snowfall - a few cms. Then around 3 or 4 o clock in the afternoon the snow became very heavy and with easterly gales there was considerable drifting :)
    nuff said - happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

this is an old thread but for but some reason;) a friend posted this on facebook last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlrEOQ_GCCg&sns=fb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I was around in 1982 (albeit not yet a teenager) and living in Ballina and you know for the life of me I can't remember a big snow.

Did the west coast miss the snow or I am losing my mind!?:D

Pics in this thread are great as is the fact that the thread itself is over 5 years old!

The Guvnor wrote: »
    I was around in 1982 (albeit not yet a teenager) and living in Ballina and you know for the life of me I can't remember a big snow.

Did the west coast miss the snow or I am losing my mind!?:D

Pics in this thread are great as is the fact that the thread itself is over 5 years old!

It was an east coast event guvnor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I remember the snow of 82... it was absolutely gorgeous. I wasn't very old but old enough to remember.... we went sledging on the main road, the speed was savage :D My hands nearly fell off with the cold but one pair of marigolds over a dry pair of gloves later, I had floppy hands that were capable of holding snowballs, now throwing them was a bit of an issue, no actual fingers cause gloves too big... LOL Ah good times.

aboyro wrote: »
    this is an old thread but for but some reason;) a friend posted this on facebook last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlrEOQ_GCCg&sns=fb

She didn't like that push at 1:37 did she? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

baraca wrote: »
    She didn't like that push at 1:37 did she? :)

haha , not impressed !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

baraca wrote: »
    It was an east coast event guvnor

Thank God! I was getting a touch concerned about the possible memory gap!biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

It all started exactly 30 years ago tonight. It started to snow around 11pm on the 7th and it was still snowing the next morning which was a Friday. It wasn't anything special, just a moderate snowfall - a few cms. Then around 3 or 4 o clock in the afternoon the snow became very heavy and with easterly gales there was considerable drifting :)
    nuff said - happy days.
    Round Arklow,it started at about 9pm that night.There was a lot of thunder snow,the first time I saw thunder snow but then I was just a kid.
    We already had about a foot by the friday morning which I can tell you was kind of special and it got even more special when the roads filled in level with the ditches and we were marooned for the week..
    We had visitors from Wicklow town 3 weeks later and the drifts were still up onto the ditches a couple of feet deep when it had gone in the fields and elsewhere and they were going wow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

These two clippings from much earlier in this thread reminded me of something else about 1982
    RayM wrote: »
    A few press cuttings from January 1982...

From the Indo on Thursday 7th Jan, the day the snow started to fall...

288mnbn.png

"A few wintry showers"

2dlm34g.png

1. There was NO forecast worth a damn of what was about to hit. "Wintry Showers" was all. I do remember the surprise factor myself.
    2. The Indo was a complete rag in the 1980s. Debbie hit in 1961 not in 1956 and knocked out around 1 in 7 premises at the time (100k out of 700k) where the storm in early January 1974 knocked out 1 in 4 premises, near a quarter of a million or 250k out of 1 million. The headline should have read 'Worst Blackouts in 8 years'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Technology was older then.
    I remember the forecast after the 9pm news that night like it was yesterday.
    Rain and sleet in munster and south leinster with snow on high ground.
    I went outside and it was already snowing here with a covering.
    We had 3 days with no electricity except for about 1 hour in the day time on each of the first 3 days.
    They apparently were diverting power from sub stations in arklow onto the country line for some reason for an hour or two which allowed us to milk,not everybody was so lucky,we were near the town.
    We were in darkness apart from candles every night.
    The snow stuck and froze onto the lines making them as thick as mugs,it's little wonder they snapped,thats apart from the poles being swayed down by drifts.
    Obviously,repair crews could not get out into the countryside for a few days either,by which time they had a mountain of work to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

blackius wrote: »
    Rain and sleet.........with snow on high ground.

Didn't know Gerry Murphy was around in 1982? :D

Advertisement