Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If in Belfast for a few hours

Options
  • 28-11-2019 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi never been across the Irish border. I live in Cork so I think as a day-trip by train, I'd only have about 4 hours, maybe 4 and a half. If I wanted just a very brief Northern Ireland experience, can anyone recommend any nice restaurants or shops or sights near the train station?.

Of course it would better to stay overnight but isn't possible this side of the New year anyway.

So if it was just a few hours, can anyone offer advice?
    Kind regards
    S🙂

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aidyhawse

With Belfast being so small you've only a very short walk to where the shops are from Lanyon Place (Belfast Central), with Victoria Square Shopping Centre being the closest with plenty of eating options available there. You would also only be a short walk from Titanic Quarter, on the other side of the Lagan River.

Do a black cab tour of the murals and points of interest from during the troubles. I did one last year and it was phenomenal.

Darcy's is some spot for grub. It'd be well worth a gawk on google maps to see if it'll be within your required radius. Good variety on the menu and very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

If you're arriving on a Saturday then St George's Market — a large, covered market with many stalls selling all sorts of things — is a few minutes' walk from Lanyon Place station.

Note that Lanyon Place isn't in the exact centre if the city, but you can get a free bus ride into the centre with your Enterprise ticket.

I recommend the Crown Bar in Great Victoria Street if you want a drink in a very ornate Victorian pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Poochie05

If you’re in to Game of Thrones you can do the Stained Glass trail
    https://visitbelfast.com/article/glass-of-thrones-trail-map/

While we didn’t find them amazing, it was a nice way to go on a walk with purpose around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sussex18 wrote: »
    Of course it would better to stay overnight but isn't possible this side of the New year anyway.

Lots of cheap hostels in Belfast if budget is an issue? As it stands you're going to spend the best part of six hours getting from Cork to Belfast, then only 4 hours in Belfast before another six hours back to Cork. I hope you like trains because that sounds like a very tiring day trip to me.

Advertisement