Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q about Sunflower plant please?

Options
  • 12-06-2021 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭

A mate gave me a sunflower seedling (or what ever you call it) in a small pot - that was about 2 mths ago - it had grown about 20 cm - what do I do with it now? we don't have a garden - put it in another pot? with what kind of soil? I do not have green fingers at all...

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just get a bigger pot, plastic will do 30cm x 30cm should work.. Normal compost is fine. Maybe get a stake or cane to help support it (especially if your in a windy area)
    Give it a feed of tomato feed even week or so and plenty of sun and water(probably everyday) and it should be very happy. Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

Just get a bigger pot, plastic will do 30cm x 30cm should work.. Normal compost is fine. Maybe get a stake or cane to help support it (especially if your in a windy area)
    Give it a feed of tomato feed even week or so and plenty of sun and water(probably everyday) and it should be very happy. Best of luck with it :)

thanks a mill - tomato feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,129 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do you have a balcony or any sort of outside space that gets a good bit of sun? Or at any rate a window that will accommodate a largish plant?

As said, you will need a large plantpot (one with a hole in the bottom) and some compost. You can get a smallish bag of compost that will do the job from such as lidl or aldi for about 3 euros. You also need some sort of tray or large plate under the pot - you can find one to match the pot where you get the pot (garden centres, hardware shops or 'Pound' shops).

The tomato feed (look for it where you find the plantpot) would be good but you may find its a bit of an expense for one plant. You could get a small bottle of Baby Bio - mix it with water, see bottle - which would do the job also. Only use the strength/dilution suggested, more is not better. It will be good for houseplants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Can I be cheeky and ask an additional question :)

I've grown sunflowers for a few years in the ground, found it difficult to manage them, supports, weeds etc. This year, decided to use a bench I made and built a support frame and planted in pots. Weather hasn't been ideal but the plants have grown from seed well enough.

My question is on removal of lower leaves, I've read has they falter, it's a good idea to remove? I've also bug issue, is there a organic spray anyone could recommend? I'll take up advice also on tomato feed also :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Could I recommend getting a large pot, such as 5 litres, and filling the bottom 4cm with rocks/stones. The way that sunflowers grow, they tend to topple over, so having some mass at the bottom of the pot will help support the plant. Also get a plantpot tray to catch the water (or use a plate).
    With the bamboo-canes, get some string too and use this to lightly tie the plant to the canes.
    With some luck you'll have a nice sunflower head in August/Sept.

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Can I be cheeky and ask an additional question :)

I've grown sunflowers for a few years in the ground, found it difficult to manage them, supports, weeds etc. This year, decided to use a bench I made and built a support frame and planted in pots. Weather hasn't been ideal but the plants have grown from seed well enough.

My question is on removal of lower leaves, I've read has they falter, it's a good idea to remove? I've also bug issue, is there a organic spray anyone could recommend? I'll take up advice also on tomato feed also :)
    Removing the bottom leaves won't do any harm. I used to deleaf the bottom 2/3 ft depending on variety

What bugs are you having issues with ?

Removing the bottom leaves won't do any harm. I used to deleaf the bottom 2/3 ft depending on variety

What bugs are you having issues with ?

Thank you, I'm not sure re bugs, I see some munching on lower leaves, not slugs as the bench is well raised off ground

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Thank you, I'm not sure re bugs, I see some munching on lower leaves, not slugs as the bench is well raised off ground

Slugs are good climbers:)

Slugs are good climbers:)

True :) but I sense its more insects the problem, its not too serious though

Advertisement