Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gov/public sector workers & non essential travel (after July 19th)

Options
  • 12-06-2021 6:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Currently government/public sector workers are not allowed to travel overseas for non essential travel.

Any thoughts on if this rule/restriction is going to change for government/public sector workers now that the announcement was made on non essential travel post 19th July ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

PocFada wrote: »
    Currently government/public sector workers are not allowed to travel overseas for non essential travel.

Any thoughts on if this rule/restriction is going to change for government/public sector workers now that the announcement was made on non essential travel post 19th July ?

I'd say when the fine is gone this rule will be gone with it, however it remains to be seen what conditions will be attached to allowing public sector workers travel overseas, like the sneaky rule from last year where all workers had to take an extra 14 days unpaid leave if they had the audacity to go on a foreign holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

I'm thinking it will be lifted after the 19th.

Imagine if it stayed and you're fully vaccinated or have a test and go to Spain on your holidays using the Digital Covid Certificate, how could they discriminate between someone that works in the public sector and someone that works in Tesco. I reckon the unions would go mad.

Actually, one of the conditions to the DCC is that there will be no quarantine provided you meet the criteria for the cert.....well I suppose unless a handbrake situation arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

The rule changed last year when we had green countries. If you went to a green country you didn't have to do the 14 days on return. Typically the week before we went the Government decided to update their list and hey ho Greece went red!

Can't see it remaining once they remove the non essential travel ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Public service employees have barely worked in the last 17 months. They surely have zero holiday entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Public service employees have barely worked in the last 17 months. They surely have zero holiday entitlements.

You are absolutely right. Our patients look after themselves. No one cleans or provides their meals. No one makes hospital appointments for anyone or assists in the theatres or on the wards. Cheek of us looking to go on holidays!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

You are absolutely right. Our patients look after themselves. No one cleans or provides their meals. No one makes hospital appointments for anyone or assists in the theatres or on the wards. Cheek of us looking to go on holidays!!

Wasn't aware that the circa 340k ps employees were involved in the provision of health services.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Skippette wrote: »
    I'm thinking it will be lifted after the 19th.

Imagine if it stayed and you're fully vaccinated or have a test and go to Spain on your holidays using the Digital Covid Certificate, how could they discriminate between someone that works in the public sector and someone that works in Tesco. I reckon the unions would go mad.

Actually, one of the conditions to the DCC is that there will be no quarantine provided you meet the criteria for the cert.....well I suppose unless a handbrake situation arises.

They should have gone mad last year but stayed suspiciously quiet. Outrageous that they got away with that nonsense.

It will have to fall post July 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Cape Clear wrote: »

Post full of ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Peoplepoint issued update today. On travel it links to the Green Cert info and outlines the current guidance in place. Doesn’t mention anything about this changing specifically but I take it thah the link to the Green Cert info is the clarification that after July 19th new rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Peoplepoint issued update today. On travel it links to the Green Cert info and outlines the current guidance in place. Doesn’t mention anything about this changing specifically but I take it thah the link to the Green Cert info is the clarification that after July 19th new rules apply.

I think so, I had to reread it a few times! Initially I thought the last paragraph still applied......as in, you are to inform your manager if you intend to travel overseas.

But I think you are right, after the 19th, DCC rules apply

But on the other hand, what if the person is planning a trip outside of the EU, then the DCC doesn't come into it and they would have to inform their manager.

Ah Jesus, I'm even more confused, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Skippette wrote: »
    I think so, I had to reread it a few times! Initially I thought the last paragraph still applied......as in, you are to inform your manager if you intend to travel overseas.

But I think you are right, after the 19th, DCC rules apply

But on the other hand, what if the person is planning a trip outside of the EU, then the DCC doesn't come into it and they would have to inform their manager.

Ah Jesus, I'm even more confused, lol

That’s my reading of it too. Travel within Europe with the DCC is fine anything else might be an issue.

Advertisement