Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on feeding 11 week old puppy please

• 10-06-2021 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭

Have our new 11 week old Shih Tzu puppy home for a week and all going well with the exception of feeding.

Apparently was fed chicken and rice by the breeder with Pedigree puppy jelly pouches once weekly so started with the pouches to settle new puppy in. That worked.

Vet then suggested dry food 2 days in so tried Royal Canin paediatric junior small dog dry food. Tried it with water, without water, with low salt chicken stock and finally mixed with Pedigree pouches again. Nothing doing.

Then tried to go back to the pedigree pouches just to get her eating but won't touch them now.

Now trying Royal Canin Shih Tzu puppy and she won't eat out of bowl but will eat if we hand feed or throw them out singly or a couple at a time in front of her. We've had to move away from three feeds a day to effectively trying to get her to eat whenever we can throughout the day.

We've been keeping a log of what she's eating to try and ensure she's getting enough and comparing to the recommended amounts on the bag of feed. Shes a bit short but not too much so not desperately worried. Am bringing her to vet on Tuesday.

This is our first dog so don't know anything better but everything we've read suggests this isn't common. Would love to find her something she actually likes that would lead to three good meals a day - that is good for her too.

In every other way she seems really happy and well adjusted in our home. Active etc. So don't want to give the impression that she's sickly or lethargic. Just needs to be pushed to eat. Get the impression she is hungry at times but just seems to dislike the food we're giving her.

Any advice gladly received. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

First of all, you're definitely over thinking it. Good to see that you're concerned for the puppy's welfare but they all take a while to settle into their new homes. Imagine in the terms of the puppy's life to date what the last few days have been like.

The breeder should have given you enough food to cover the first two weeks but the way the market is at the moment it's not surprising that they didn't.

If you're looking for some more food ideas I can offer suggestions via PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

When I first got my dog 9 (!) years ago the breeder had been feeding them all sorts to prevent them becoming picky and so they’d be used to all sorts of food. They recommended two meals of eukanuba puppy nuts an one of various other foods. Some of the things they recommended for the third meal were scrambled eggs, cold custard, tinned fish, baby food, leftovers from dinner or any suitable human food that was going. My dog didn’t always eat the kibble but he always ate the various other things he was given. I started with Eukanuba because that’s what he was used to but I changed pretty quickly as it’s not the highest quality food. Over the years some of the brands of kibble I’ve fed are Barking heads, Purizon, Acana, Lukullus, Wainrights (pets at homes own brand), hills and Burns. Burns was good in it’s time but there are better quality foods on the market now. If you prefer wet there are good quality wet foods such as natures diet, natures menu, Rocco and Rinti, the last two are available from zooplus.ie

Make sure whatever you feed is good quality. Royal Canin is ok but is very overpriced for the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

first off once your puppy had food available he wont starve to death

we all hate to see them not eating so tend to give in and give them what they will eat

whatever you decide on i would def make sure you settle on a top quality grain free nut if for no other reason than healthy teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pb2

Our shih tzu was similarly fussy as a pup. He was playing us very well, getting all sorts of extras so would eat his royal canin. We then read the ingredients and did a little research. Switched to acana and he loves it. Never an issue eating anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sorbet

Thanks all for the tips. So I should calm down- she won't starve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Sorbet wrote: »
    Thanks all for the tips. So I should calm down- she won't starve!

spot on

oh and we need pics lots of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

Canagan small breed is a good food too, could add a little hot water and let the food Cool, this releases flavours and smells and may encourage your puppy to eat…. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

It also may be worth changing her bowl that you give her food in. My dog reluctantly eats out of any food bowl but if I put her food straight on the floor she eats it right up. Obviously this may only work with dry food as you don't want pedigree chum all over your kitchen floors.

Another way to try get her to eat is to use food toys. Kongs, puzzle games etc.

Oily sardines mixed with the dry nuts have never failed for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I think it’s normal enough for some pups to go a bit meh with their food - they’ve been plonked in a new home, they no longer have competition for food and when they start teething their gums can be sore.

Rocco junior is very popular with posters here - I know Knine has reared pups on it, I’ve reared one with a mix of Rocco/raw and will be doing the same soon - in fact I ordered some of it the other day :)

You don’t HAVE to feed dry food - I don’t and I don’t have any issues with teeth being dirty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sorbet

Ashbx wrote: »
    It also may be worth changing her bowl that you give her food in. My dog reluctantly eats out of any food bowl but if I put her food straight on the floor she eats it right up. Obviously this may only work with dry food as you don't want pedigree chum all over your kitchen floors.

Another way to try get her to eat is to use food toys. Kongs, puzzle games etc.

Funny- that's what we've found, prefers eating off the floor than bowl.

Advertisement