Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to the UK not from Ireland

Options
  • 08-06-2021 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

I thought it best to start a new thread but Mods, feel free to merge into another if that is more appropriate.

The NHS seem to have their own vaccination proof app but I assume that will only be available to those vaccinated by the NSH.

At present the UK is not part of the EU’s Digital Green Certificates, does that mean that they dont recognise the EU Certs at all (i.e. those fully vaccinated and in possession of a cert would still be subjuct to the UK rules relating to the country they have travelled from)? So the need to quarantine and take tests on arrival in the UK are possible, if not likely, for the foreseeable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I thought it best to start a new thread but Mods, feel free to merge into another if that is more appropriate.

The NHS seem to have their own vaccination proof app but I assume that will only be available to those vaccinated by the NSH.

At present the UK is not part of the EU’s Digital Green Certificates, does that mean that they dont recognise the EU Certs at all (i.e. those fully vaccinated and in possession of a cert would still be subjuct to the UK rules relating to the country they have travelled from)? So the need to quarantine and take tests on arrival in the UK are possible, if not likely, for the foreseeable?

Neither the EU or uk certs have an official usage guideline yet. So impossible to answer for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The status of vaccination doesn't matter at this time for travel to the UK.

Depending on if it's on the amber or green list is how many tests/quarantining you have to do.

Travel from the CTA (including Ireland does not have any restrictions)

afatbollix wrote: »
    The status of vaccination doesn't matter at this time for travel to the UK.

Depending on if it's on the amber or green list is how many tests/quarantining you have to do.

Travel from the CTA (including Ireland does not have any restrictions)

Not strictly true... The op says they are not Irish therefore cta rules don't apply to then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Not strictly true... The op says they are not Irish therefore cta rules don't apply to then

So, they're not Irish and travelling to the UK - but not from Ireland.

Why are they on boards.ie?!?

KaneToad wrote: »
    So, they're not Irish and travelling to the UK - but not from Ireland.

Why are they on boards.ie?!?

Em....I don't know.. We do have some non Irish people living in Ireland for quite a while now and I'm sure some of them use boards.ie ����

Cta rules still don't apply to them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I didn't say that. I presume when travelling to the UK, the status of the country you depart from will determine your requirements when you arrive in the UK, regardless of CTA and travelling on an Irish passport? Travelling to Ireland first and then on to UK would be different.

I couldn't find anything online about UK recognising EU Green Certs, seems the answer is they don't right now but that may or may not change.

In fairness op your subject was "traveling to UK not from Ireland" so could be interpreted both ways.

But the answer is (I'm in the UK now) that they have not decided yet, most likely they will work both ways but until both systems are live no way to know. I have a green travel page on my NHS app now and it's setup for international viewing, it shows country and authority.

I hope it will work well as I want to travel in Europe asa

But your right, traveling to UK on an Irish passport makes no difference if you are arriving from any other country, for the purposes of covid anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I didn't say that. I presume when travelling to the UK, the status of the country you depart from will determine your requirements when you arrive in the UK, regardless of CTA and travelling on an Irish passport?

If you don't have an Irish passport, be aware that a number of EU citizens have been prevented from entering the UK.
    Several articles on the Guardian, here is one:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/28/number-of-eu-citizens-refused-entry-to-uk-soars-despite-covid-crisis

In fairness op your subject was "traveling to UK not from Ireland" so could be interpreted both ways.

I see what you mean now. I took the title from the Travelling to the UK from Ireland thread here and added not. I meant travelling from a location other than Ireland rather than not being from Ireland.

The current UK stance is that they don't want vaccine passports as a minister said on TV last Sunday that it is the ethnic minorities who are not getting vaccines and it would disadvantage those groups.

They were all loving the idea months ago and now they haven't said anything about them for about 2 months.

• Advertisement

The current UK stance is that they don't want vaccine passports as a minister said on TV last Sunday that it is the ethnic minorities who are not getting vaccines and it would disadvantage those groups.

They were all loving the idea months ago and now they haven't said anything about them for about 2 months.

Open to correction here but I was under the impression that the NHS was introducing a vaccine passport via an app for people vaccinated through the NHS. This would allow people in the UK to travel abroad and not have to quarantine/test when they return. Don't know what the story is for people vaccinated elsewhere though.

The app shows you have had the vaccine yes, It's already rolled out.

But the UK government doesn't want to use it for travel or opening up as it's racist.

I literally have a travel section on my NHS app. Which has a screen to be used for travel specifically confirming I have an official recognised vaccine and am converted

I literally have a travel section on my NHS app. Which has a screen to be used for travel specifically confirming I have an official recognised vaccine and am converted

Me too, but can you travel with it? And not need to do any tests? You still even have to be tested when coming back from a Green country.

At least the EU is going to allow travel once your vaccinated, By the looks of it the UK is locked down till the winter.

Me too, but can you travel with it? And not need to do any tests? You still even have to be tested when coming back from a Green country.

At least the EU is going to allow travel once your vaccinated, By the looks of it the UK is locked down till the winter.

Neither the UK or the EU is clear on what they mean yet and what they will allow.

Advertisement