Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career in Aviation

Options
  • 06-06-2021 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I'm a software engineer. I've always loved everything to do with commercial aviation and realised I'd be enjoying my job a hell of a lot more if it was to do with aviation.

There seems to be a lot more aviation related companies hiring in Ireland than I realised including Boeing, Airbus etc.

I suppose I'm looking for advice of companies I should be looking at or other roles that may be suitable for me to move into.

In an ideal world I'd like a job that would involve small bit of travel and actually getting to see/deal with aircraft but that may just be a pipe dream

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Software engineers dont tend to stay long in airlines or aviation companies as the wages paid are well below industry par for your type of work. IT work is invariably outsourced, as it's not a core activity of airlines. You could end up sitting in your home all week and never seeing an airport,let alone an aeroplane. If you got work with a manufacturer such as Boeing or Airbus,then you'd possibly be more connected with aircraft,especially if you were in design,flight test, avionics development and ground test. you should talk to these companies and see what they look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭user302243

Thanks for the reply.

I had thought that but I'm wiling to move fields. I know it's very unlikely I'll be able to match my current salary but to be honest I'll happily take the pay cut if it means I'm doing something I'm genuinely interested in.

I've been thinking a role working on the likes of ITA Matrix or a GDS might interest me as I have an interest in how airlines price tickets etc.

Will definitely try find some contact in Boeing and Airbus and see if anything might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Datalex might be a good place to start. They've been through the wars, but they're Irish and they do travel booking systems.

https://www.datalex.com/

I was working there on 9/11. The company is a lot smaller now...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nonethepfizer

SITA in Letterkenny do a lot of aircraft data connection suite work

Airtel in Dun Laoghaire do a lot of data link stuff too

The Boeing and Airbus stuff is more hands on Engineering work (maintenance and overhaul), but there are some avionics stuff, not sure if you need to have a B1 (or whatever) licence though

R&D work you more than likely won't get here with them, as the majority of it is in the UK or on the continent.

If you go to the UK, you have a TON of options

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭user302243

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll start reaching out to them.

Still in the very early stages of working out what my next career will be just know it has to be aviation. And I'm happy to take a year or two out to upskill/do courses if necessary.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement