Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standing Water in Shower

• 02-06-2021 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My shower in the upstairs ensuite seems to be blocked. It was fine yesterday but after going for a shower today the water stayed at a certain level. Hours later and it has not budged. Now if I turn on the tap of the sink in the ensuite that water stays standing too. If the toilet is flushed the shower starts bubbling. I'm guessing I'll be calling a plumber tomorrow as if the water goes any higher it will flood. I tried putting a hanger down but there is nothing obvious near the top at all. Any ideas? Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Twist out your hair trap and clean it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Have you a plunger? I'd have a go with that too. Try all the basics before forking out for a plumber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The grid in the centre of the drain outlet in the bottom of the shower tray is removeable.

You can use a screwdriver or similar to prise it out.

Underneath it there is a filter. You need to pull that up and clean it. Can be hard to remove, a pliers may help.

Be prepared, a lot of hair and soap grease will need to be removed.

Give the outlet a good flush and replace the filter and grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Twist out your hair trap and clean it

I did. There is nothing on it.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Have you a plunger? I'd have a go with that too. Try all the basics before forking out for a plumber.

No, I don't. I'll get one tomorrow and try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Try pouring boiling water down it for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

I found this flexible brush very effective at unblocking our sink en-suite. It might do the job for your shower depending on how far down the pipe the blockage is.

TheBeach wrote: »
    Try pouring boiling water down it for now.

I did that but didn't do a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Your summary of the symptoms suggests the blockage is downstream from the shower.

A good plunger in the shower and sink might do the job. Hot water can help too.

Exthinker wrote: »
    Have you called a plumber?

Yes, from my description he thought it best to go with a local drain company who sorted it out for about €180....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Try a bottle of sink unblocker from your local pound shop.

Usually do the trick for me.

Leave it as long as you can before flushing, preferably overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

angeline wrote: »
    Yes, from my description he thought it best to go with a local drain company who sorted it out for about €180....

Ouch. You should invest in a drain unblocker. It's a long cable wound up on a hand driven wheel. Can get them in various DiY places and you'll always have it for similar problems.

Hair is the usual culprit with these.

listermint wrote: »
    Ouch. You should invest in a drain unblocker. It's a long cable wound up on a hand driven wheel. Can get them in various DiY places and you'll always have it for similar problems.

Hair is the usual culprit with these.

Will do thank you. Hadn't heard of that before.

Just to go back to the earlier comment about the plunger, I plunge my bathroom sink and shower every six months or so as standard. We have an old house so the upstairs plumbing has a fair way to go before it gets to larger pipes. Just ordinary everyday use can build up blockages bit-by-bit, and a regular plunging keeps everything flowing.

In the apartment block where I previously lived, I had the same problem and went through a couple bottles of drain cleaner before I realised that a plunge every now and then avoids a lot of these problems.

That said, the first time the drains got blocked over time and the drainage was at an absolute standstill, a bottle of Mr Muscle drain cleaner really worked wonders.

Advertisement