Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extremely fussy eater (labrador)

• 27-05-2021 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭

I have labrador who is having ear issues, the vet said it could possibly be allergy related so we're trying to change his diet and get him on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic nuts, except he is simply not having it. He refuses to eat it.

I asked the vet if I should mix some wet food with it but they said there is no need and he will eventually stop being stubborn and eat it but it's over a day and a half now with not a bit eaten. He is drinking water fine and occasionally checking the bowl for food but turning his nose up at the nuts every time.

Any tips? Will he eventually just get too hungry and eat it? Admittedly he has been spoiled with more scraps than he should've gotten.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

J. Marston wrote: »
    I have labrador who is having ear issues, the vet said it could possibly be allergy related so we're trying to change his diet and get him on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic nuts, except he is simply not having it. He refuses to eat it.

I asked the vet if I should mix some wet food with it but they said there is no need and he will eventually stop being stubborn and eat it but it's over a day and a half now with not a bit eaten. He is drinking water fine and occasionally checking the bowl for food but turning his nose up at the nuts every time.

Any tips? Will he eventually just get too hungry and eat it? Admittedly he has been spoiled with more scraps than he should've gotten.

If the vet suspects allergies - why not carry out testing to find the source of the issue?

Personally I wouldn’t let my dog starve it out .. speak to your vet and get proper testing to see if u can find out what’s causing it

Royal canin in general is over priced low quality food -

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0060/royal-canin-medium-adult

Maybe posters on here can recommend a better product .. personally I’d try to find out what causing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I used to clean my retrievers ears once a week and then switched to raw feeding 10 years ago and clean them max once a year. At one stage I even got his ears checked because there was no wax in them at all... :p my other dog also raw fed had ears you could grow spuds in lol..

If it was my dog I’d have full blood work done to rule out anything going on rather than allergy testing as it can be hit and miss - you could end up with results saying he’s allergic to everything. Food wise I haven’t fed dry food in 10 years now and I’ve no intention of ever feeding it again - I’d be looking at wet/raw/home cooked. For wet food Rooco from zooplus is very popular with a lot of posters here - it has pretty good ingredients and is great value - especially with a lab as they do 800g cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi ,Sound as if they are trying a food trial of alleragies, (elimination diet)about 12 weeks. My rescue boy had bad ear/skin issuse. I as offered to try those nuts or home feed, keeping a record, and vet visites for steriod injections to keep him comfortable. Or go down the immunotherapy route.

I choose to go Immunotherapy route, (covered by insurance) as he also had to have knee surgery around the same time. and so glad I did!, as it turnes out it was not food, but willow and some certain mites, that was causing the outbreaks. I inject at home once a month, and he is a different dog now. I still check his ears and clean as needed, but never any gunk in them now, also no itching or red skin. Might be worth speaking to your vet about other options.

Best of luck, can't help about not him not eating nuts, as I feed home cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

What do you mean by ear issues? Infections? Inner ear issues? Is it affecting his balance? If his balance is affected, then he could be feeling nauseous?
    After a day and a half, he has told you clearly he isn't eating it.
    I'd try a sensitive wet food to get him eating and then transition to a sensitive dry food if you really want him on dry food.
    But for me, not a lab not eating is not being stubborn, he is sick or those nuts are making him feel sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

But for me, not a lab not eating is not being stubborn, he is sick or those nuts are making him feel sick.

I agree 100%. Having had a dog who wouldn’t eat due to illness (which is why I suggested blood tests to rule anything out) I hate to see this kind of idea that they’ll eat when they’re hungry - there’s a reason they don’t want to eat. Not liking something is perfectly reasonable - the same way we ourselves have things we may not like - we simply don’t like it and aren’t labelled as picky. Imagine being served up something you don’t like/is making you feel sick again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

My labrador has only had his ears washed once in 9 years, did not know this was a thing? His food does seem to suit him - we use the maxi zoo own brand, select gold, his coat does look gorgeous and glossy and we do get lots of comments on how well he looks (how old is your puppy? - 9 in July :pac: )
    Of all breeds, I'd say if a labrador is being fussy about food, there's something up. Hunger strike is not in their nature! I'd nearly suggest pouring a little bit of cooled beef stock over the nuts, but then if he's not eating them because they are making him feel sick, that's not fair either.

Advertisement