Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with a vicious dog attack

Options
  • 27-05-2021 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Yesterday evening my Retriever was attacked by a possible Labradoodle or something similar. He needed stitches on his back leg and back/neck area. He is a quiet friendly dog who never starts on dogs and he was too scared to defend himself it seems.

I saw this dog on Sunday when we both went walking and had both our Retriever and GSD that day. The dog in question was a nuisance that day, just running around and barking, and we heard a few people giving off to him. Off course he kept his distance that day from us.

Yesterday our GSD was at home with me as my wife takes turns bringing them out separately due to her age and both dogs size.

The woman gave my wife a false phone number but she did take note of her car registration. I'm not pushed about the vet and grooming fees but I am annoyed about this dog. It was late yesterday evening when I tried to call the warden and I was at the groomers and vets again this morning so I've only tried the warden twice today without success.

What exactly should I do? Do I complain to the Gardai or will they brush it off? How do we even prove it was that dog? People saw the attack but carried on with their walks apart from a gent who carried the dog back to the car. She didn't take his number. All she knows is he had a black Jaguar.

I find it quiet irritating that we have to muzzle a quiet GSD but this thing doesn't even need to be on a lead when it's clearly a danger to the public. The woman also has a collie but he is fine. The retriever is a nervous wreck at home and is super glued to the GSD. The only way he'd get into the car to go to the vets and groomers is by bringing the GSD with us.

I'm not looking for the dog to be put down or anything, and I'm not pushed about the vet fees. I would be quiet happy for her to have to surrender her dog or at the very minimum, be forced to take the dog and herslf to training classes.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Bit of an unfortunate incident for you and yours to be fair.

Report to warden and Gardai, not sure of your area but many public spaces require dogs be on a lead at all times.

Personally I would push for this lady to be identified and make her pay the bills - if only as a lesson. I am not sure how much you can push for any other correction though.

I would recommend officially reporting and see what the Gardai/Warden have to say.

Best of luck with it (Also if you have the car reg you can waste 6 euro in Cartell to identify the owner and registered address), gardai can do it on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Very sorry to hear about that. Your poor dog must have got an awful fright.

Giving a false phone number is such unbelievably bad form.. Look maybe it was out of character for the dog and it took it her by surprise but the fact remains that she is liable for vet fees and obliged to put her dog on a lead until he is better trained (muzzled also but muzzles are only for the 9 breeds on the RB list 🙄)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’d report it - her address can be obtained from the car reg. Having to pay the vet fees might make her cop on - the dog could seriously injure/kill a smaller dog next time? Or somebody could be injured intervening. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

padraig737 wrote: »
    I'm not looking for the dog to be put down...

Horrible experience. And what a disreputable thing to do to give a fake number! That gives you a sense of the type of person you’re dealing with. But I would worry that if you involve the police, you can’t control the end result. Maybe I’m wrong to think that’s a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 padraig737

A few days of going around in circles, she is some character. She told the dog warden she was at home that day and claims she doesn't know what park he was talking about. The Gardai will get back to us Monday and they want to check CCTV near the area and have a talk.

He's a nervous wreck at the moment. Started screeching this morning when he saw the lead. At least we have a quiet forest beside us that we sometimes use for walks.

Should I get dog calming tablets or any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭jmreire

The brother was out walking his GS, on a lead as usual when a Lady came along behind and unnoticed by him. Quick as a flash his dog turned on the other dog ( Lab) and grabbed him. The brother pulled his dog off, and after asking the Lady if she was OK ( She was, and as it turned out, so was her dog too) none the less, the brother insisted that they go to the Vet to make sure everything was OK. After the vets examination and confirming that no damage done to the Lab, the brother again apologized, gave the Lady his Mob Nr, and told her if there were any problems over the incident down the road, to give him a call. He then told the Vet to euthanize the GS. He was not prepared to take any chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

So the dog had enough restraint after getting a shock to not do any damage to the other dog and he still gets killed? Good job

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

So the dog had enough restraint after getting a shock to not do any damage to the other dog and he still gets killed? Good job

Shouldn't a German Shephard have been muzzled in the first place? And they then went to the complete other extreme and had it put down? Not sure I believe this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

volchitsa wrote: »
    Shouldn't a German Shephard have been muzzled in the first place? And they then went to the complete other extreme and had it put down? Not sure I believe this story.

Based on never seeing a muzzle on any restricted breed and people's ability to do dumb stuff I'd have no reason no disbelieve the story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

jmreire wrote: »
    The brother was out walking his GS, on a lead as usual when a Lady came along behind and unnoticed by him. Quick as a flash his dog turned on the other dog ( Lab) and grabbed him. The brother pulled his dog off, and after asking the Lady if she was OK ( She was, and as it turned out, so was her dog too) none the less, the brother insisted that they go to the Vet to make sure everything was OK. After the vets examination and confirming that no damage done to the Lab, the brother again apologized, gave the Lady his Mob Nr, and told her if there were any problems over the incident down the road, to give him a call. He then told the Vet to euthanize the GS. He was not prepared to take any chances.

Didn't happen

• Advertisement

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Didn't happen

Oh, but it did Buddy, very much it did happen, I can sssure you of that. As explained, after the incident both of them went to the Vets and had the Labrador examined. After the Vet confirmed that no lasting damage was done, and the only reason there was no damage done was because of the quick reactions of the brother..as the dog is a big strong GS, he had a choke chain on it, and pulled the dog off the Lab before he could do more permanent damage. And the vet agreed. he could have and probably would have inflicted major injurys. Now substitute a child or other person, and the same thing happened? No way would the brother accept that possibility, and the Vet agreed , so he was put down. The dog was bought as a pup from a registered dealer, complete with pedigree papers about 8 years ago, and for the first 6-8 months of its life,( not sure exact time) attended training courses again with a registered trainer. At the end of the training, the trainer congratulated the brother on how well he had managed with the dog, as after watching him during training after the first 2 months he was going to advise the brother to have him put down as it had a mean and dangerous streak. The dog only ever knew the brother and his Wife..I would not sit in the same room as him unless either one of them was there with me. I remember on one ocassion when the brother left the room for a few mins, and after he had left, I stood up. In a split second the dog was on me, teeth bared and ready to attack. I never trusted it after that.

So why no muzzle then? It's the law.

Doesn't seem like the responsible ownership you're implying with the post above.

So why no muzzle then? It's the law.

Doesn't seem like the responsible ownership you're implying with the post above.

We live in covid times ( not trying to circumvent the law ) and close contact with people is not a good idea, and best avoided and thats why he took the dog to a remote area, and far from crowds. He had walked the dog there many times before without incident. Of course with hind sight, he should have muzzled the dog.

Well I'm not going to argue it any further, but I wasn't talking about hindsight.

I was asking why, since you're at such pains to show how responsible an owner he is, it doesn't seem obvious to you that walking a dog which by law is meant to be muzzled could be anything other than terrible ownership if that dog, for whatever reason, bites someone?

It's like lighting a cigarette at a petrol station and then proving what a responsible person you are by describing how quickly you called the fire brigade to the fire you'd caused.

Well I'm not going to argue it any further, but I wasn't talking about hindsight.

I was asking why, since you're at such pains to show how responsible an owner he is, it doesn't seem obvious to you that walking a dog which by law is meant to be muzzled could be anything other than terrible ownership if that dog, for whatever reason, bites someone?

It's like lighting a cigarette at a petrol station and then proving what a responsible person you are by describing how quickly you called the fire brigade to the fire you'd caused.

As you wish...while you are at it, you can list all the other Laws that are being broken on a daily basis, and comment on them. Good Luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So ,is there any comback on lady with the collie - for giving a false statement ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I stopped reading after choke chain..

padraig737 wrote: »
    Yesterday evening my Retriever was attacked by a possible Labradoodle or something similar. He needed stitches on his back leg and back/neck area. He is a quiet friendly dog who never starts on dogs and he was too scared to defend himself it seems.

I saw this dog on Sunday when we both went walking and had both our Retriever and GSD that day. The dog in question was a nuisance that day, just running around and barking, and we heard a few people giving off to him. Off course he kept his distance that day from us.

Yesterday our GSD was at home with me as my wife takes turns bringing them out separately due to her age and both dogs size.

The woman gave my wife a false phone number but she did take note of her car registration. I'm not pushed about the vet and grooming fees but I am annoyed about this dog. It was late yesterday evening when I tried to call the warden and I was at the groomers and vets again this morning so I've only tried the warden twice today without success.

What exactly should I do? Do I complain to the Gardai or will they brush it off? How do we even prove it was that dog? People saw the attack but carried on with their walks apart from a gent who carried the dog back to the car. She didn't take his number. All she knows is he had a black Jaguar.

I find it quiet irritating that we have to muzzle a quiet GSD but this thing doesn't even need to be on a lead when it's clearly a danger to the public. The woman also has a collie but he is fine. The retriever is a nervous wreck at home and is super glued to the GSD. The only way he'd get into the car to go to the vets and groomers is by bringing the GSD with us.

I'm not looking for the dog to be put down or anything, and I'm not pushed about the vet fees. I would be quiet happy for her to have to surrender her dog or at the very minimum, be forced to take the dog and herslf to training classes.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Actually to get back to the subjectof the OP, I think you should get her to pay any vet bills, even just a check up. She shouldn't get away with that, including the fake phone number. Money is probably the only way to teach someone like that a lesson.

Actually to get back to the subjectof the OP, I think you should get her to pay any vet bills, even just a check up. She shouldn't get away with that, including the fake phone number. Money is probably the only way to teach someone like that a lesson.

So which would the OP be better off with? This woman or my brother? Had it been my brothers dog, this post would never have seen the light of day, for sure.

So which would the OP be better off with? This woman or my brother? Had it been my brothers dog, this post would never have seen the light of day, for sure.

LOL I didn't know this was a multiple choice thread.

I'm picking option 3, neither of the above.

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    I stopped reading after choke chain..

Well thats your prerogitive, but you might feel different if you were in your mid 70's and trying to control an 8 year old large and very agressive GS as my brother was trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Well thats your prerogitive, but you might feel different if you were in your mid 70's and trying to control an 8 year old large and very agressive GS as my brother was trying to do.

You need to just stop posting stuff, it’s all a bit Walter Mitty at this stage

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    You need to just stop posting stuff, it’s all a bit Walter Mitty at this stage

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:)

If the dog is aggressive, he should be muzzled, as the law requires even for non aggressive GSDs. It was mainly luck that meant it didn't end up with an injured dog or even person. And then your brother punished the dog for his own carelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If the dog is aggressive, he should be muzzled, as the law requires even for non aggressive GSDs. It was mainly luck that meant it didn't end up with an injured dog or even person. And then your brother punished the dog for his own carelessness.

Am I missing something here - Jim is recounting a tale of his brother and his brothers dog -
    I don't think anyone else here knows Jim's brother ,the dog or the story ... So why are many having a pop at Jim - ( and his brother ) ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks,
    That's enough of the bickering.
    From this point on, only posts relating the the OP's enquiry will be permitted.
    If meanders do occur from this point on, they may be permitted as long as everyone involved conforms to the forum stipulation that everybody treats each other with respect. That, I'm afraid, was rather lacking up to this point.
    Back on topic now please.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement