Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrangea bloom

Options
  • 16-05-2021 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi
    I moved into a new house last year and bought some hydrangeas and planted them around last July and they were beautiful. This is how the are looking at the moment. Will they bloom this utearor what should I do with them. I’m new to the whole gardening thing.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

They look grand, nice bit of new growth there.
    Once the last frost is gone (probably the end of May), you can dead head them to just above the fresh growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mick00

wench wrote: »
    Once the last frost is gone (probably the end of May), you can dead head them to just above the fresh growth.

Perfect thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

wench wrote: »

If you can watch gardeners world from Friday night, Monty Don said the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PeadarOBriain

I have some hydrangeas about 8inches tall in 6in pots. They are starting to flower. I was thinking to cut the flowers off to encourage bushing. Would this be recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Can anyone help save my hydrangea?
    I thought it was frost damage first, but I think it’s worse than that now.
    Have it 10 years and it managed on very little attention.
    Put it in a bigger pot last year and it thrived.
    Was planning on putting it in the ground.
    Would be sad to lose it.

• Advertisement

Is there any hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks unhappy, though hard to say exactly what the problem is. I would guess it is something about conditions, either it got wind scorched, or the drainage in the pot is not right, or it got frosted, hard to say. I would cut off the dead looking branches right back and let the healthy stuff take over. They are not usually fussy and are willing to grow from being cut back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Their roots need plenty of space in pots. That one looks too small.

Thanks for the replies.
    It was in a smaller pot until last year. Pots don’t get much bigger.
    I have fed it.
    The branches are still green inside and bendy if I try to cut them, but I will cut it back.

I would agree with cutting it back and see how it goes, they're tough plants.
    Worst case, you should get enough growth for cuttings later in the year.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Any advice re growing from cuttings?

The first method here is pretty much what I do
    https://plantaddicts.com/propagating-hydrangeas/

I don't think I've ever done the plastic bag over it, I just put it somewhere sheltered and shady.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I would also treat it with an antifungal spray, the same you'd use on roses.

Like washing up liquid in water?

Google tells me to use aspirin…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Like washing up liquid in water?

No, that's for knocking bugs off, it would not do anything for fungal conditions. There are probably home made recipes but I would think you would need a commercial spray for any fungus.

Advertisement