Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Hes corrupt though?

Do you not feel foolish cheerleading for him?

Wee bit like when we were all goaded into.accepting bertie ahearn as taoiseach in 07 and noone needs reminding how that particular line of partisanship ended

His anyslis isnt wrong in highlighting that the present high profile fg members are alienating their tradional heartlands across the state and could leave it in position of poor next generation canditdates....that geoghan chap is the eptimoe of corporate blandness,and their apparent prototype going forward,and that simply deosnt sell outside the m50

I don't believe Vradakar is corrupt

I also don't believe stating some facts about him above as I did equates to 'cheer leading ' as you put it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

27% of a 35ish % turnout, no covid and a Friday election will be a different animal altogether, dont think Geoghan will stand again, ego took a hit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

If you wish,I'll change that to 'Vradakar dis liker'

Other than that,I do believe there is an obsession here with Vradakar

Theres also an obsession about Sinn Féin

What's gas is neither are ever fishing in the same voter pool

Its the daftest adversarial political combat ever

I don't see the reason by the way for Vradakar to be engaging in it either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

So they lost but if 'ifs and buts were candy and nuts'.

If he ran again and got the same result he might get a seat if nobody got more, so it's a win? Nice.

He's still out. A middle class FG supposed safe seat was lost. I don't like seeing it wasted on Labour. May as well have gone to the Ryan contingent in the Greens.

Are we all supposed to like the guy or what?

Voting pool: Judging by the exit polls from the last election and SF taking a large bite into ABC1 voter share under the age of 55, I'd say there's a very large reason why he's engaging in it the way it is. The presumption that SF voters are all howiyas from Crumlin bit FG in the ar*e big time and they're acting out as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

I wouldn't take it so personal. Party leaders get a lot of attention. Especially ones under criminal investigation.

I think Varadkar, if he does become Taoiseach, will do big damage to Fine Gael but I doubt he'll care. He's a no trick pony looking for a sequel to a movie people walked out of.

Martin got his dream job, so he couldn't give a fiddlers.

The FF/FG exception for cuckoo funds won't be forgotten as housing becomes even more difficult.

The good for little Greens are enjoying being seated on the deck of the Titanic while it lasts.

No ,I think Vradakar is just virulently anti SF and for many reasons, he's not shy in sharing

I haven't asked you to.like him

You're here like me on the Internet hearing an opposing opinion

They exist

• Advertisement

He can be as virulent as he wants. It's turned his party into a vaguely comical rump, spreading bogeyman nonsense on the internet instead of cracking on with very serious national challenges that developed on their watch.

He seems affronted that there is a political movement other than his own that will spoil his party. It's not mature and it's not in the spirit of honest debate in a modern democracy.

Opposing opinions are all gravy, make them measured though and not telegraphed from the spooky boy Fine Gael twitter war machine.

Mate....he leaks confidential documents to.his mates🤣🤣🤣

Looks and smells like corruption to me

Mate is a Sásanach phrase

Wash your mouth out with soap

Lol... You don't get FG thinking at all

Just your own

In fairness some FG people can indeed fall fowl of their bubble too

No such thing as perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 67,096 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He admitted to it and apologised for it and is the subject of one of the longest Garda Criminal investigations I am aware of.

What makes you think he isn't corrupt?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As I said already, some don't seem to understand the difference between a single seat by-election and a multi-seat general election. Geoghegan, despite being an inanimate carbon rod (as described on here) solidly collected the FG vote and confirmed they will get at least one seat in a general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ian Bailey might beg to differ with you on that. So would the mother of Paul Quinn. I could go on.

There is zero evidence that Varadkar is corrupt. However, it is interesting to see you abandon your "innocent until proven guilty" mantra.

Ooops, silly me, I forgot because of the break, even though he is in favour of a united Ireland, Varadkar is a bad republican, not a good one, so he doesn't benefit from the mantra.

Varadkar admitted to doing something that is corrupt. He apologised for leaking information. He isn't, by his OWN admission 'innocent'.

Gardai are now investigating whether what he did was criminal.

Hasnt varadkar literally admitted to leaking documents to his mates,though??

If it looks like a duck,walks like a duck,and quacks like a duck.....its probably a duck...the man is every bit as corrupt as bertie and haughey before him

Any normal country,he'd be looking at serious prison time for what went on there,only in ireland do we accept such levels of open corruption

It's that weird syndrome...if FG leak docs, fiddle expenses etc, it isn't corruption...look SQUIRREL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Why are you incapable of spelling Leo's name correctly?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yes you do. Like everyone else, you heard him explain why he leaked documents and apologise for how he did that. His colleagues in government accepted he leaked them and decided to accept his apology.

That is 'corruption' no matter what way you swing it. Is it 'corruption' with criminal consequences, is being decided on as we type.

Same goes for accepting sterling bungs for instance, or fiddling expenses, it is corruption even if you forgot, made a mistake (always in your favour :)) filling out the forms etc.

FGers really need to see this, just because they do it doesn't change definitions.

If it WAS corruption, he’d have been charged by now. He acted in good faith. Just like his Party formed a Government with FF and the Greens. Acting in the best interests of the country. They’ve been doing a great job in very unprecedented circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭Floppybits

For Varadkar (spelt correctly) is like marmite you either love him or loathe him, I don't think there is anything in between. Take Hauaghy for instance, those on here who can remember him, everyone knew he was corrupt but yet they still voted for him because he did offer the ordinary person something. Pensioners would vote for him in their droves because of the free travel pass. What does Varadkar offer? To me he offers nothing but division, you can see on here people defending him to the hilt but if a leader of another party did what he did those same people now defending Varadkar would be up in arms looking for the head on the plate. You can try deny it but it is true, you know it, we know it, everyone knows it.

The question to ask is what does FG stand for now? They use to be the party of law and order and Financial prudence but they have destroyed that with what they have done in government. Varadkar was all supposedly all about giving something back to the people that "get up early in the morning" but it seems to me all he and his party have done is trod on them especially in the last couple of weeks with the carry on on the vulture funds. All they seem to offer now is that "They are not SF" that's it, they have burned every bridge.

I might think the Pope is a jackass and find plenty to agree with me or I might think someone affiliated to a political organisation is a murderer

Unless a law has been broken, the first one is an opinion

The second is slander

For the record, I don't hold either view

My view is,your view is part of a political adversarial construct with no basis that your bubble is happy to spin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

A specific law does not have to be broken for corruption to occur.

How have I 'slandered' somebody who has aplogised for what he did? Which was to corruptly share information with people he shouldn't have, contrary to the rules.

He 'apologised' and owned up to leaking information. "Not best practice" is just a glossy excuse or euphemism for doing something which was against the rules...i.e. a 'corruption' of the rules...i.e. he did something corrupt.

That's the nub. When we break it down, Varadkar stands for very little, and always has if we're to be honest. It's instructive how giddy he got when Macron got elected and made a beeline to get a selfie with him in Paris before he was even FG leader.

Same type of character; all political kayfabe, an amorphous and patronising know it all, who operate on smoke and mirrors and some sort of vague competencies that no one can put their finger on if pushed. If you asked them what they really believed you'd never get a straight answer, they're just a type of grey contemporary patrician character that knows best even when they're duffing up. Always had a messianic belief in themselves rather than a coherent vision of society that's going anywhere. A bland and fairly gutless managerial political avatar for the neo liberal age.

Most likely to tell you "that's just the way it is" when confronted with a screw up of their making. Dig a under the surface and needle a little bit, and it's evident they don't like getting questioned, have a fairly grim view of those that may be struggling in society (that's a YOU problem) and citizens generally tbh, and bristle at the suggestion they are taking things in the wrong direction or screwing up.

Above all they have an overriding need to be seen as the smartest boy in the room and always wearing the big boy pants. Anything else is crushing to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

That literally does not fit any textbook definition of corruption let alone how our criminal justice system let alone our justice system sees it. As Sinn Fein are want to say, if you have any evidence of a corrupt act (checking that you understand the meaning of that word which you apparently don't) you should bring that to the attention of an Garda Siochana. I appreciate you like to sentence people before the case but the Gardai are collecting evidence on foot of a complaint at this time. You would be complaining the Gardai were corrupt if they didn't act to investigate. It's easy to make a complaint based on your prejudices.

Advertisement