Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silage 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

wrangler wrote: »
    I was brushing the road with an eight foot brush when they were drawing one day, and Took a break for two hours to watch an international rugby match.
    When I came back the guard had one of the tractors stopped. I told the guard that it was a private road and i didn't think she had any authority here so she went off saying that she go look it up and if we're breaking any law she'd be back.
    She never came back
    When you say private road
    Do you own the land the road is on but the road itself is a right of way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

When you say private road
    Do you own the land the road is on but the road itself is a right of way?

I looked up my deeds at the time and the map had the whole road in front of my land included in my holding. ie my boundary is the ditch on the other side of the road.
    But I'm not going to push it but if they want to get dirty, bring it on.

Some of the neighbours don't like the slurry spreading and give plenty of hassle, one woman wouldn't step into the side to let a tractor past last year walked ahead of it most of the way down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

I looked up my deeds at the time and the map had the whole road in front of my land included in my holding. ie my boundary is the ditch on the other side of the road.
    But I'm not going to push it but if they want to get dirty, bring it on.

Some of the neighbours don't like the slurry spreading and give plenty of hassle, one woman wouldn't step into the side to let a tractor past last year walked ahead of it most of the way down

Is that a sheep handling unit in the corner of the field, Wrangler?

Is that a sheep handling unit in the corner of the field, Wrangler?

It was built for cattle but latterly it was used for sheep. It was one of the first things I built myself circa 1975, don't know how it stayed up,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It was built for cattle but latterly it was used for sheep. It was one of the first things I built myself circa 1975, don't know how it stayed up,

Pallets blocking gaps in the hedge. Now wrangler :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    Pallets blocking gaps in the hedge. Now wrangler :D

Dairy farmers fencing, it's not surprising they don't farm sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Checked our silage there earlier. It’s not bad but nothing compared to height of this time last year. There’s a purple shade on top of leaf blade. What does this indicate?

Grueller wrote: »
    Jaysus I'd love if our road was that way. Some right pr1cks on it after a neighbour selling a load of sites. One family of lifetime welfare recipients with numerous drug possession charges and uncontrolled, aggressive breed dogs. I have had a doberman and an Akita in my yard wandering freely at night and as early as 5.30 in the morning. I don't see those dogs about any more, wonder what happened to them.
    Some real sound people too.

That's what happened there too, there's seven houses further down within about 200yds, how the don't pollute their wells with their septic tanks, seven septic tanks and seven wells and the houses as near as they can push them together.
    And they worry about slurry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭roosterman71

That's what happened there too, there's seven houses further down within about 200yds, how the don't pollute their wells with their septic tanks, seven septic tanks and seven wells and the houses as near as they can push them together.
    And they worry about slurry

Your not too far away from me wrangler. Some evening I've time, I'm going searching for your place :p

• Advertisement

Your not too far away from me wrangler. Some evening I've time, I'm going searching for your place :p

I'll show you :D

That's gas , I was looking for your place today, did the circuit that the tractors did, Alas I could see no fendt.

Actually I had to go over to my tenants place, Ipresume you know him

You should be able to find that field any way with all the footage on the videos

I was thinking the same. Or if you had tanks wrangler that they could draw the slurry too and pump it out from them. Long auld draw to keep an umbilical going.

My farm is fragmented even before the motorway came, that land is a mile and a half from the slurry tanks, and any way the other tenants are using tah sheds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭memorystick

My farm is fragmented even before the motorway came, that land is a mile and a half from the slurry tanks, and any way the other tenants are using tah sheds

Is that the Dublin Galway motorway you’re talking about? I recognise the Slieve Blooms in the background. Was going to say Rath or Clara side.

Is that the Dublin Galway motorway you’re talking about? I recognise the Slieve Blooms in the background. Was going to say Rath or Clara side.

Tyrrellspass

Wrong end

• Advertisement

Wrong end

Yea, you can see the slieve blooms from the field, how you could identify them I don't know

That's gas , I was looking for your place today, did the circuit that the tractors did, Alas I could see no fendt.

Actually I had to go over to my tenants place, Ipresume you know him

You should be able to find that field any way with all the footage on the videos

Ya'd be a long time looking for Trent the Fendt in this area. I'm only renting here. Farm is 40 miles away. Don't know too many around the town here

Yea, you can see the slieve blooms from the field, how you could identify them I don't know

Well the camera company Offaly Agri photos and I’m from the midlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I'll show you :D

You better bring the biscuits too

You better bring the biscuits too

Jaysus I can't do everything

• Advertisement

I did. I've often run sprints up and down the hill on that road, and the hill towards Meedin too.

In another twist of weirdness, I was gonna approach the landowners along that side of the road, mainly up towards the top of the hill about selling a site at one time a few years ago. Not sure if that land is yours or not. Small world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Checked our silage there earlier. It’s not bad but nothing compared to height of this time last year. There’s a purple shade on top of leaf blade. What does this indicate?

It could be a few things like low on phosphate or incorrect ph but in the year that’s in it, I’d say it’s due to the cold weather

I did. I've often run sprints up and down the hill on that road, and the hill towards Meedin too.

In another twist of weirdness, I was gonna approach the landowners along that side of the road, mainly up towards the top of the hill about selling a site at one time a few years ago. Not sure if that land is yours or not. Small world!

Mine is the house with the long wall and four flower pots on the side of the road.
    House is only about 100 yds up from the roundabout going up the hill.

No way! I often admired how clean that yard was behind the house when I'd be running. I'll wave each time I pass from now on!

My top speed on a bike was achieved coming down that hill. Was racing another lad. Hit 71km/h.

Back on topic of silage. Got 2 calls today from lads looking to buy silage. 400 bales sold and it not even cut yet. €28 delivered to their yard. Lads must be anticipating a big demand later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

No way! I often admired how clean that yard was behind the house when I'd be running. I'll wave each time I pass from now on!

My top speed on a bike was achieved coming down that hill. Was racing another lad. Hit 71km/h.

Back on topic of silage. Got 2 calls today from lads looking to buy silage. 400 bales sold and it not even cut yet. €28 delivered to their yard. Lads must be anticipating a big demand later in the year.

I will be giving first refusal to the guy who took mine last year when others backed out last year,

You did well to negotiate the roundabout at the bottom, plenty of motocycles have hit that roundabout and probably not going a lot faster than you

I will be giving first refusal to the guy who took mine last year when others backed out last year,

These are lads that buy every year. Taking more this year than normal though and neither would have extra numbers to feed
    You did well to negotiate the roundabout at the bottom, plenty of motocycles have hit that roundabout and probably not going a lot faster than you

I had stopped by then and had to wait for a few to catch up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

24ac cut, I'm either brave or very stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Timmaay wrote: »
    24ac cut, I'm either brave or very stupid.

Best of luck anyways and hope you get it in dry. Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

Going tedding for a man shortly. Few chances bring taken. Friday wet here now according to the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

It looks like today's rain has shifted a good bit more north east than just Cork and Kerry then what was forecast. Hope too many aren't caught out. It's making quite a bit of soft rain

Good drop of rain here last night and even dampish this morning. Some lads might not be happy

Good drop of rain here last night and even dampish this morning. Some lads might not be happy

We're just after a heavy showere here

I think lads cutting yesterday/today have hit the panic button in a big way. Forecasts are giving drier and warmer weather at the weekend and next week

I think lads cutting yesterday/today have hit the panic button in a big way. Forecasts are giving drier and warmer weather at the weekend and next week

Tbh I think it was the contractors with grass fever that pushed a few of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah no need for it at all, if someone has to wait a few extra days it won't make much difference. It's hardly like the cow will tell you the DMD isn't right next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Going to chance it tomorrow, badly needs to be cut at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Constant light rain since about 12, was constant heavy rain before that...

Mooooo wrote: »

No let up in the rain here. Tedding off till tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Mooooo wrote: »

Had that up to 12, stopped now and sun splitting the stones

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Grand sunny day here in Galway. Walked silage ground earlier wish I hadn’t some of it will need 5-6 dry days to be fit for machinery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Got enough rain after cutting ugh lol. But tomorrow looking like a good drying day, so ted it again the afternoon and pit Thur should be grand. Its only 24ac in total, but definitely could do with coming out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Grand sunny day here in Galway. Walked silage ground earlier wish I hadn’t some of it will need 5-6 dry days to be fit for machinery

Twas a cracker. Got some drizzle from 9 to 10am. Mower in at 2pm. Will rake it up tomorrow PM and bale. 30 hours wilt and tedd it twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Have yous that cut, tested the grass for nitrogen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Have yous that cut, tested the grass for nitrogen?

N has to be well gone. That wasn't grazed and got fert early. Got caught badly last year with grazed silage ground and 5.5 bales to acre. That was grazed last 4th Dec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭dmakc

Forecast 5mm tomorrow from 2pm onwards. Is it fair to make the contractor wait for drying and cut Friday eve if he's coming from a neighbour's which he's mowing tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's your call as to how wet you think it might get in your area tomorrow. I believe mowing dry and in the evening are two important things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

dmakc wrote: »
    Forecast 5mm tomorrow from 2pm onwards. Is it fair to make the contractor wait for drying and cut Friday eve if he's coming from a neighbour's which he's mowing tonight?

If you can make it work that you can cut the same as a neighbour that’s nice but you are under no obligation to make bad silage in order to suit your contractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭dmakc

Thanks. Once it's cut dry does rain between picking up matter that much? It'll still add more to the volume of pit / lead to more bales?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

dmakc wrote: »

You're the one (farmer) who's paying the piper.
    Its your call ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement