Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

While the price of machinery is tracking inflation across long-term owned stuff,short term owned stuff is way over and above the normal inflation.

My uncle bought a 13t Hitachi with 3 buckets in 2017 for €12000. Tommy Abdullah the Egyptian came last week and bought the same digger with no buckets for €16000. 33% increase in 5years.

I bought an 18ton Hyundai in 2016 for €7500. Traded it this year and got €14k for it. Mad times.

Take advantage while you can of this madness before the bubble bursts because I can't see it lasting for much longer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

And increasingly its about the cost to replace rather than previous purchase /selling price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

These 996’s were a great tractor no doubt with cab access being the only niggle with the narrow door

but €12k for this is double it’s value, even though it’s a clean original example. I don’t think the rarer 4wd would even be worth that

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/29996122

David Brown 996

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭straight

Love the bit where they say it will increase in value over the next few years. Great tractor. I grew up with them and our family still have 3 browns. I'd say it's worth about 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Would explain why those tractors made so much at the Westmeath auction.

If it sells out they will bring in 150k sterling, the 82 and 78 made 70k euro all in, not sure about 7000, they stand to make 50k sterling profit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There's a 10 series engine in that 7000 so it's hard to see it being worth 30k. But, if I got them for the price of a ticket I wouldn't complain.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Are you sure about the engine @blue5000 ? It's not the correct exhaust for a 7000 but comes through the bonnet in the correct place. The exhaust of a 7610 is further forward.

Click on the photo and you'll see an XXX block. It was the exhaust I spotted first.

Of course I Should have checked the photos if I wasn't so lazy! Are the manifolds interchangeable? Any I have seen with the replacement engine have a hole put in the bonnet further forward for the exhaust.

The new manifolds fit on the head, but the exhaust is in a different position as you say. A new short block with the old head was another way of doing it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

These competitions are getting a bit silly now. There have been a couple recently and the amount of machinery in the prize was crazy. Often wondered if you'd be better taking the items or the cash equivalence.

A bit like this one:

Maximum income they can gleam is £499,250. Kitty currently sitting at £334,365. I've got it valued roughly at £240k exc VAT or £280k inc VAT.

JD - £80k

Large Digger - £70k

Small Digger - £45k

20T Dump Trailer - £14k

33T Low Loader - £27k

I'd probably be low on the trailers, but somewhere between £275k - £300k. Would that be right?

Tax free cash alternative: £175k.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I agree that those competitors are reaching fever pitch and it's more lucrative to raffle something than to sell it the last 12 months.

How easy would it be to sell a lot of that kit again and would you be waiting 6 months to get someone willing to pay top price? I'm asking that because I know a few lad's that won equipment and picked it over the cash lump sum. Now granted I'm only an onlooker and not privy to there accounts but I don't know if it's as straightforward as pocketing the sales proceeds either.

A friend of mine won a tractor a few months back, looked to be a fine machine only a couple of years old with something like 180hp. I think it was valued at £80k sterling or £50k tax free lump sum. Our man picked the tractor because there was £30k to be made from some quick sums. It arrived and sat looking the real business in the yard although it was totally impractical to actually do any work with around here. He went into a few local dealerships with the intention of trading it possibly against a more practical sized tractor for there own use and pocketing the surplus. Each dealer told him they had no interest as they'd never get it sold again around here.

This went on for a few months, it was on donedeal and he was touring garages from here to Dublin trying to find a buyer. Eventually a man came from Wexford and bought it. I don't know what it made but I somehow doubt he gave the equivalent of £80k for a tractor with zero warranty or comeback off a private individual. I'd be of the opinion our man was as well off if he had taken the £50k straight up with no hassle on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Don't know how true this story is but two lads won a Lamborghini and decided to take it instead of cash. They were getting a local dealer to sell it for them. Whatever happened, in the end, someone busted the sump in the car, story was it was the dealer showing it off. Don't know what happed in the end. I suppose none of us will be in the situation where we have to make that choice between tractor or cash unfortunately :(

The only way to sell that high value stuff on is through a dealer and then they'd need what about 5% to sell it on? Could then even sell it without a warranty. You'd need to sell it to them at a discount to sell themselves.

The trailers should be okay to pass on, but as you say who the **** is going to buy an 80k tractor from some fella in a yard full of gutters in the ârse hole of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

I wonder if there’d be any luck in winning one of those competitions…. I’d say there’d be plenty of disgruntled punters wishing the new owner no good with the machine that their precious money helped pay for….

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Woman I work with, her 18 year old daughter won one of those draws.

Won an Audi A4 tdi, 2019, and a MercedesC class tdi, same age, and €5000.

All in the one bundle.

Both cars on NI plates.

Comp organisers offered them a cash alternative about 10k less than the family thought they were worth.

Caused a lot of tension in the family, with one relative claiming to want to buy one car, and then getting aggressive when their offer wasn't accepted.

Also surprisingly caused the lassie a world of grief on social media.

A lot of her so-called friends turned out to be bitter, jealous little tramps.....

In the end got a garage up the North to collect them and sell them on, the VRT etc would have been a lot of hassle, and they were getting cold callers messaging offers, the usual shite.

Anyway, got them away and is set up now for her college expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

I always wondered how the prizes are accounted by the taxman if you sell them . Are you liable for income tax on tge profits or is it capital gains tax?

Also wondered how they work the tax free alternative. Is there a tax bill for winning cash ? If there is do they pay it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Cheer up lads ye might never win it .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Chap at work won a Ford 6610 or 7610 in one of these draws few years ago.

tractor arrived and is a fine clean tractor, but no paperwork at all. He pushed it a bit but was eventually told best not go any further.

He’s half afraid it’s stolen. He has it insured but it will never be taxed, not on the road that much anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I wouldn't have a notion about any of that being honest and since I don't buy tickets for the like I don't think I'll have reason to find out.

Back in the glorious days before Covid it was common place to be treated to a meal in a local restaurant if you were working late and the canteen was closed. This particular evening it was just myself and the boss who were left so we adjorned to the usual spot for a welcome feed.

On the way out of the restaurant we passed through the adjoining supermarket and the boss asked me if I played the lotto. I replied I didn't, he told me he played a few times a week and proceeded to fill out a slip for that weeks draw. Seeing as the company had covered the bill for our food I decided I'd buy him the lotto and might as well do one for myself. I duly filled out a slip and went up to the checkout. When I was there I got a bar of chocolate and a mineral that would have totalled around €3.50. The entire purchase came to a bit with €17. I don't begrudge how anyone spends there own money but that was €7 each on the lotto and he had just told me he does it a few times a week in some format. I think you'd want to win it every few years to pay for it but to each there own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Those draws are a type of gambling, and there is no tax on winnings, Bertie Ahern was very fortunate like that

A lad would be better spending €7 on the lotto a few times a week rather than smoking....

A neighbour smokes 20 to 30 Major a day, that adds up to a frightening amount of money every year.........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So are all these draws run by entities in NI?

I wonder do the vehicles come with a fill of diesel ?

A good few seem to be.

A year or more ago I entered a draw for a Fiat 110-90.

Ran by two brother in laws ( I was later told) somewhere in South Armagh.

Not doubting there are loads of decent honest folk in South Armagh, but still.....

Anyway, the draw took place live, with the camera showing the number drawn.

Problem was the lads read out a different number/name to what was on the laptop screen...

A woman who was off-screen could be heard frantically whispering "that's the wrong name, that's the wrong name".

Some lad in Galway or Mayo was the name shown, but they drew again and some lad in the UK west-midlands came up the winner...

Then the organisers took the site down for 24 hours before posting a new video "explaining" what had happened...

Whole thing stank to high Heaven, and at the time there was talk of complaints being made to the PSNI.

Did you put this up previously? Otherwise, I've heard a similar story. Not sure how they can give you the money tax free?

I think most of them would be based in the Armagh region. Some are in Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

South Armagh you say.

And the very well known one with the three Fords is registered to Newry.

At least the fuel tanks will probably be nice and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Just perusing a few ads and came across this. Looks like great value even if ex V.A.T. or am i missing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Its s 2wd tractor. Including sterling conversion and vat brings it to nearly 11k. You would have to transport it from Holland to Ireland and register it here another 1500-2k I would expect

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement