Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

Was like 15 mins in a hen house after a load of eggs been laid.
    Indeed. :pac:

Have to say, I like it when someone is called out to justify what they are saying, and I prefer it to be done forcefully than not at all. The number of times you come close to throwing the radio out, because something outrageous was let go, far out-weighs these occasions imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Kinsella ... didn’t even mention O’Regans name
    Maybe he didn't because his name wasn't O'Regan ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

serfboard wrote: »
    Maybe he didn't because his name wasn't O'Regan ;)

Clean head shot............thuuunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Agreed... Garda Review lad (who had a wee bit of a hectoring tone to his voice I felt, even before the ‘jump in) never had a chance really to develop his first point.

The whole thing spooled up to max power way too quickly, and to be honest didn’t reflect too well on both protagonists.

Bit of common sense wouldn’t have gone amiss.

"Wee Bit" ?? I think you are being kind here Brendan...not your form... if I may respectfully suggest ?

You sure you ok ?

I would agree with your assessment of what the Dude meant...that we should put up with some inconvenience for the greater good and to support the health workers .

Some snippy coves would feel their liberty is being compromised if they had to go thru numerous checkpoints ...but the sensible among us KNOW it is in place for the overall greater good......

Ballsy failed to do an Andrew Neil on an ‘exit strategy‘ on MMcG.

Love hearing these talking heads waffling around and none of them actually doing anything.

All with bits and pieces and waving hands around and none of them, none of them, handling the whole thing in the round as a total package.

Like the lad on the sideline who sees a guy going for a goal and missing, “Should have taken his point”

10 minutes later sees a lad taking an easy point in front of goal “Should have gone for the goal”

Lads.... fuhhherke off......thanking you.

I’ve always liked Brendan’s style but, having listened to him today, he’s turned more hectoring and interruptive (is that a word?). Does he think he’s Paxman? I also feel that he floats a random thought, mostly some form of “dig”, and then moves on, leaving it hanging.

Some of the panel are moaning enough about how the pandemic is being handled here in Ireland. It’s easy to carp from the sidelines, and a lot more difficult to be the ones who are doing the “doing”.

Disappointing, overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Mav11

I’ve always liked Brendan’s style but, having listened to him today, he’s turned more hectoring and interruptive (is that a word?). Does he think he’s Paxman? I also feel that he floats a random thought, mostly some form of “dig”, and then moves on, leaving it hanging.

Some of the panel are moaning enough about how the pandemic is being handled here in Ireland. It’s easy to carp from the sidelines, and a lot more difficult to be the ones who are doing the “doing”.

Disappointing, overall.

Because of his interruptions and talking over contributors, I can see problems getting guests to come on future shows.

Mav11 wrote: »
    Because of his interruptions and talking over contributors, I can see problems getting guests to come on future shows.

Mav, as opposed to normal shows where all the guests are in the studio in person, these panels are not present.

They mostly are on Skype, telephones, or other connections.

So until things get back to normal, I think we will have to excuse him on that aspect.

On other issues I might have to keep my powder dry .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Mav11 wrote: »

He wont have any problem getting guests because the type of guests on his program love the sound of their own voices, plenty to chose from.

• Advertisement

Disappointing, overall.

Paxman was a good example of the McGuinness ‘exit strategy’ passage.

Is it me or are some of these journalists being deified by the presenter and panelists who of course usually all come from the same ‘gene pool’.

Personally I would perhaps take them with a good bit less reverence.

Mav, as opposed to normal shows where all the guests are in the studio in person, these panels are not present.

They mostly are on Skype, telephones, or other connections.

So until things get back to normal, I think we will have to excuse him on that aspect.

On other issues I might have to keep my powder dry .....

I think this was emerging as an issue even before the remote contributions. Brendan seems to like the sound of his own opinions. But as you say, give him a chance!

mgn wrote: »
    He wont have any problem getting guests because the type of guests on his program love the sound of their own voices, plenty to chose from.

Quality guests may become scarce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

The way he spoke over Mairead McGuinness, in particular, was needlessly aggressive. She was scarcely able to finish a sentence without him butting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I felt same. He was OTT

He’s FF behind it all which I know from personal experience.

Paxman was a good example of the McGuinness ‘exit strategy’ passage.

Is it me or are some of these journalists being deified by the presenter and panelists who of course usually all come from the same ‘gene pool’.

Personally I would perhaps take them with a good bit less reverence.

For me, Paxman, or Andrew Neil, work best in a one-to-one interview. Then they can keep at the subject and, if necessary, skewer them on a question. I don’t think it works on a panel show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

George Hamilton made a good point on radio last week. He was talking about Andrew Marr, when a guest asked Marr how was it he knew so much about everything, he replied, "i dont watch sport."

The point, i think, is these guys are on top of their brief. Paxman, Marr, Neil - voracious appetites for current affairs and able to pull waffling up at the drop of a hat.

Cant compare guys over here to that, just not in that league. Kenny probably the closest, O'Rourke occasionally and the morning ireland crew are sharp enough too.

George Hamilton made a good point on radio last week. He was talking about Andrew Marr, when a guest asked Marr how was it he knew so much about everything, he replied, "i dont watch sport."

The point, i think, is these guys are on top of their brief. Paxman, Marr, Neil - voracious appetites for current affairs and able to pull waffling up at the drop of a hat.

Cant compare guys over here to that, just not in that league. Kenny probably the closest, O'Rourke occasionally and the morning ireland crew are sharp enough too.

You’re right - I forgot Andrew Marr.

He writes good books, too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Joe has competition!!

Ireland’s premier Leo Varadkar has re-registered as a medical practitioner and will work one shift a week during the coronavirus crisis, Reuters reports.
    Varadkar is reportedly helping out with phone assessments, as anybody who may have been exposed to the virus is initially assessed over the phone.

zell12 wrote: »
    Joe has competition!!

Ireland’s premier Leo Varadkar has re-registered as a medical practitioner and will work one shift a week during the coronavirus crisis, Reuters reports.
    Varadkar is reportedly helping out with phone assessments, as anybody who may have been exposed to the virus is initially assessed over the phone.

Fair play to him. That’s leadership. Take note Boris and the Donald

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Posted it in wrong thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Fair play to him. That’s leadership. Take note Boris and the Donald

Boris is in hospital.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Boris is in hospital.

That’s not good. Regardless of what I think of him as a politician, I hope he’s ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Caquas

I like Brendan. He’s more clued in than Marian (not saying much) but he needs better prep. for this show.

He had a horrible start this morning, Firstly he wanted something positive and uplifting but he obviously hadn’t tipped off his first guest, Mairead McGuinness, the most media-savvy Irish politician, so they talked at cross-purposes. Then he went to a medical expert and asked him for something positive only to hear that the poor man had just lost his brother-in-law at 6 am this morning. How could the host of the flagship national Sunday morning chat show walk into that unprepared?

Brendan, fire Marian’s team now before they drag you down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Caquas wrote: »
    I like Brendan. He’s more clued in than Marian (not saying much) but he needs better prep. for this show.

He had a horrible start this morning, Firstly he wanted something positive and uplifting but he obviously hadn’t tipped off his first guest, Mairead McGuinness, the most media-savvy Irish politician, so they talked at cross-purposes. Then he went to a medical expert and asked him for something positive only to hear that the poor man had just lost his brother-in-law at 6 am this morning. How could the host of the flagship national Sunday morning chat show walk into that unprepared?

Brendan, fire Marian’s team now before they drag you down!

But I thought Marian did her own research. She used that a justification for her fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

mgn wrote: »

Exactly so.
    No shortage of that type.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

sligojoek wrote: »
    But I thought Marian did her own research. She used that a justification for her fees.

Are you new here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Caquas wrote: »

I often thought that Brendan was a good stand in for the weekend slots. A fresh voice and a bit of a change of POV.

But now I'm beginning to think he's far too one dimensional and predictable. I know these are odd times and maybe he's being schooled to give a certain message.......... but to my mind he's too much 'on message', PC. 'yes manish' and generally lacking in spark.

If RTE want to save these shows, they need to have a few presenters and rotate them. Otherwise find a decent sharp mind.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I often thought that Brendan was a good stand in for the weekend slots. A fresh voice and a bit of a change of POV.

But now I'm beginning to think he's far too one dimensional and predictable. I know these are odd times and maybe he's being schooled to give a certain message.......... but to my mind he's too much 'on message', PC. 'yes manish' and generally lacking in spark.

If RTE want to save these shows, they need to have a few presenters and rotate them. Otherwise find a decent sharp mind.

Yes, agree, very ‘heavy’ kind of delivery.

However, to keep the identity of the show, Ballsy needs to be the recognized ‘lead dog’.

I will suspend serious critique till this ‘distancing’ stuff is over though.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Exactly so.
    No shortage of that type.

Oh the irony of it all...

MMM...have listened to a few Weekend on One offerings ...don;t know whether it is my imagination or not but Ballsy's whiney Cork accent has got even more whiney ?

Came across as very poorly prepared at the top of recent show which really is a no no for me.

As a previous poster has said the social distancing rules make it difficult for the presenter ..but in my opinion the lad need to up his game considerably to hold on to this prime show slot.

I never had much issue with the previous presenter ...just the huge wedge she was getting ....

• Advertisement

MMM...have listened to a few Weekend on One offerings ...don;t know whether it is my imagination or not but Ballsy's whiney Cork accent has got even more whiney ?

Came across as very poorly prepared at the top of recent show which really is a no no for me.

As a previous poster has said the social distancing rules make it difficult for the presenter ..but in my opinion the lad need to up his game considerably to hold on to this prime show slot.

I never had much issue with the previous presenter ...just the huge wedge she was getting ....

Yes,good evaluation poster.

Like I said earlier I won’t put Ballsy under serious scrutiny until the Corona issue is under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideboard

Like I said earlier I won’t put Ballsy under serious scrutiny until the Corona issue is under control.

What are we supposed to think "A Nation holds its breath" or "A Nation cracks up with laughter" as Bender, who has a track record of 'serious scrutiny' undermines (yet again) his 'serious scutiny' of someone he refers to as 'Ballsy'.

Jesus wept....

sideboard wrote: »
    What are we supposed to think "A Nation holds its breath" or "A Nation cracks up with laughter" as Bender, who has a track record of 'serious scrutiny' undermines (yet again) his 'serious scutiny' of someone he refers to as 'Ballsy'.

Jesus wept....

Might be better if you addressed the points raised instead of personally abusing respected contributors.

Completely unwarranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Might be better if you addressed the points raised instead of personally abusing respected contributors.

Completely unwarranted.

Point of order. One assumes one is respected. :)
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Point of order. One assumes one is respected. :)

Thought very highly of on this platform,Daniel, I’m quite assured.

Very high standards of discourse......and a valued site member.

Never abuse anyone.

Was pottering around the gaff this am, half listening, as you do.

Heavy droning in the background, eventually wondered if the fcuker next door was
    cutting the back lawn again, and the ride on was a bit ‘off’.

Nah... just Ballsy was still on........

Heavy droning in the background, eventually wondered if the fcuker next door was
    cutting the back lawn again, and the ride on was a bit ‘off’.

Nah... just Ballsy was still on........

...and this, from our (respected) 'serious scrutineer' :D:D...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why do you people call him ballsy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I take it to refer to a certain comment made some years back about the type of people snapping up property before the crash. Could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

I take it to refer to a certain comment made some years back about the type of people snapping up property before the crash. Could be wrong though.

You are not wrong my friend.....O'Connor had a puff piece in the Sindo advocating a plunge on property in 2007 !

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-smart-ballsy-guys-are-buying-up-property-right-now-26307728.html&ved=2ahUKEwjR0bLXseHoAhUXVRUIHW4QAdEQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0NaVAsuXP2xsZkLnmjbhLR&cshid=1586643055567

Dudes in these parts have very long memories......very very long !

...and this, from our (respected) 'serious scrutineer' :D:D...

As my post outlining the parameters to trigger ‘serious scrutiny’ advises the reader,it’s quite obvious these conditions have not been reached, hence ‘serious scrutiny’ from this respected subscriber has not kicked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It's his accent. I can only tolerate five minutes then I am off. 'Now like we'll have a look at da papers by?'
    Why is he using an upward intonation like American teenagers? He's a bit old for all that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

bobbyss wrote: »
    It's his accent. I can only tolerate five minutes then I am off. 'Now like we'll have a look at da papers by?'
    Why is he using an upward intonation like American teenagers? He's a bit old for all that stuff.

That affected intonation isn't confined to O'Connor, Matt Cooper and Mary Wilson are similar graduates of that course.

Cooper has bigger diction issues than that.

Stick to print Matt.......

• Advertisement

Cooper has bigger diction issues than that.

Stick to print Matt.......
    Brendan I suspect you are still walking around the garden ,as you have doing for years..try talking to the neighbours this time..really Brendan O Connor or other radio broadcasters are not your problem . Go figure

southstar wrote: »
    Brendan I suspect you are still walking around the garden ,as you have doing for years..try talking to the neighbours this time..really Brendan O Connor or other radio broadcasters are not your problem . Go figure

Southy, you got me there.

Have no clue what ‘point’ you are trying to make.

Do try to tell us.

Southy, you got me there.

Have no clue what ‘point’ you are trying to make.

Do try to tell us.

To tell US ...who would us be Brendan...assorted obsessive crackpots., .,God bless ye though

cutting the back lawn again
    , and the ride on was a bit ‘off’.

Maybe you are just too lazy to check back on your own (recent) posts or you're exhibiting the 'goldfish-in-a-bowl' syndrome? I took it that southstar was referring to the above quote...

Jesus has wept enough methinks....

Maybe you are just too lazy to check back on your own (recent) posts or you're exhibiting the 'goldfish-in-a-bowl' syndrome? I took it that southstar was referring to the above quote...

Jesus has wept enough methinks....

No idea what your ‘point’ is buddy.

No idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement