Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

https://www.destructoid.com/outcast-second-contact-finally-releases-next-month-460518.phtml
    A remake of Outcast is due out next month. As a youngling i was mad to play the original but never had a PC till much later.Anyone have high hopes for this? I'd love to pick it up if its decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider out on friday. Really do love going for no kills/powers/detections in one run in these games.

That's one thing I am never able to do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

xtal191 wrote: »
    Titanfall 2 single player was much better than Doom imo

Such a fun campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

gizmo wrote: »
    Same on Origin at the moment and thinking about it from the same perspective. This article would indicate that it isn't really.

I went with it in the end. Sure feck it, it was the price of a pint. There's split screen play so I might get a bit of craic out of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Didn't know where to place this,
    My mate was in the hospital (his wife is pregnant) and he seen this and told me he'd signed me up :P

But just goes to show how serious they take it and how much of a possible problem it is here in Korea.
    They had to bring in new rules to PC Bangs that kids can't be in there past 10pm etc too
    cwN1S1Y.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I went with it in the end. Sure feck it, it was the price of a pint. There's split screen play so I might get a bit of craic out of that.
    Mind letting us know how you get on with it? Not so much worried about the price, more whether the time investment, whatever that may be, is worth it. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

https://www.destructoid.com/outcast-second-contact-finally-releases-next-month-460518.phtml
    A remake of Outcast is due out next month. As a youngling i was mad to play the original but never had a PC till much later.Anyone have high hopes for this? I'd love to pick it up if its decent

The original is a PC classic. Hard to go back to as it was CPU bound and locked at 15 fps so hoping the remake makes the game a lot smoother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Continued on from a previous post, everything that's wrong with gamers these days. In my day, there was no regenerative health, no kill bonuses and we had to walk to school in our bare feet.

tweetgosp0.png

Mind letting us know how you get on with it? Not so much worried about the price, more whether the time investment, whatever that may be, is worth it. :)

I ended up playing about 4-5 hours of the 40 player matches over the weekend as the single player content is really crappy. I'm not one for multiplayer games at all and I wasn't playing with a mic or headphones or anything but I found it a good skit. I was totally rubbish at it but that didn't bother me at all. I suspect there was a fair few new players in the mix this weekend along with me. I'll probably play a bit more of it over the next couple of weeks. The 40 player matches were pretty easy to dip in and out of.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Continued on from a previous post, everything that's wrong with gamers these days. In my day, there was no regenerative health, no kill bonuses and we had to walk to school in our bare feet.
    On a related note...

https://twitter.com/adrianchm/status/904158792144875524

There's a lot of subtle design decisions made like these based on user feedback during development. The best ones, as you can see from that thread, are the ones the player never knows about, the ones that encourage the weaker players to continue but don't get in the way of more experienced players.
    I ended up playing about 4-5 hours of the 40 player matches over the weekend as the single player content is really crappy. I'm not one for multiplayer games at all and I wasn't playing with a mic or headphones or anything but I found it a good skit. I was totally rubbish at it but that didn't bother me at all. I suspect there was a fair few new players in the mix this weekend along with me. I'll probably play a bit more of it over the next couple of weeks. The 40 player matches were pretty easy to dip in and out of.
    Cheers for the follow up, man! So, would you recommend picking it up or would the four hour trial be enough in preparation for the sequel?

Cheers for the follow up, man! So, would you recommend picking it up or would the four hour trial be enough in preparation for the sequel?

The four hour trial would definitely give you a good taster of whether you'd enjoy it or not. I ended up playing some of the season pass maps as well like the Rogue One maps. I'm definitely tempted to get the sequel now, especially if it comes with a good single player campaign.

I've never heard of review bombing, sad bastards giving negative reviews to Firewatch after the Devs gave out about that Pewdeepie c**t.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-19-firewatch-steam-review-bomb-pewdiepie-racism-incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've never heard of review bombing, sad bastards giving negative reviews to Firewatch after the Devs gave out about that Pewdeepie c**t.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-19-firewatch-steam-review-bomb-pewdiepie-racism-incident

After they abused the takedown function on youtube they got review bombed by people who weren't abusing the review function on steam

My heart bleeds for them

Bambi wrote: »
    After they abused the takedown function on youtube they got review bombed by people who weren't abusing the review function on steam

My heart bleeds for them
    Except the legality of the move was already talked about in the Gaming News thread with the majority legal opinion finding they didn't abuse anything. Those review bombing seem to care little for those facts though which makes the effort less than ideal, doubly so when you see people actually lying about the game. TotalBiscuit covers it quite well in the thread below.

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/908081271204704261

My heart bleeds for them

Anyone that takes part in review bombing like that is an absolute tit with the maturity of a toddler.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And all because a grown man who acts like an obnoxious idiot on YouTube and earns millions a year for doing so said (another) stupid and racist thing.

****ing 2017.
    ****ing video games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Anyone that takes part in review bombing like that is an absolute tit with the maturity of a toddler.

in fairness, they probably are all under 10 years old - i mean really, do ye know anyone mature that watches that c**t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

My heart bleeds for them
    If I'm looking around for a good game to play I'd rather what I read about them be based on how good the game is or not, and not how popular someone completely unconnected to the game is or isn't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's shame, because Firewatch is great.

Kiith wrote: »

What do ya make of the Film adaption in talks? I think it could be great but I suppose they have to pick the most interesting choices the player would make but there's a great story in it. Would be class if they got Rich Sommer to star in it. Saying that, will probably never leave the ground as game films usually don't.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »

It's been on the long finger for a few months, might pick it up this weekend all things considered.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is firewatch a walking simulator .

Yupp, brilliant game and one of the best dynamic themes on the PS4. Regularaly goes on sale on PSN and highly recommend it when it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's a walkie talkie simulator

Steam have their say on carpet review bombing and I think they're on the money

http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1448326897426987372

Yeah, pretty much. There's a bit more involvement in terms of your interaction with Delilah who you talk with on a radio throughout but you're not going to be going all out with a killing spree in it. It's a decent drama with a few niggles but its definitely worth a playthrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

firewatch is well worth a look, but do yourself a favour and play through it all in one sitting, 2 max. its very linear, and is more about the story than the gameplay.

very well acted and not like too much else I've played.

in a similar note, Oxenfree is currently free on games with gold on xbox. I'd recommend people check it out.

firewatch is well worth a look, but do yourself a favour and play through it all in one sitting, 2 max. its very linear, and is more about the story than the gameplay.

very well acted and not like too much else I've played.

in a similar note, Oxenfree is currently free on games with gold on xbox. I'd recommend people check it out.

I enjoyed Firewatch but I thought Oxenfree was disappointing. The third act fell apart and after the pretty languid pace that proceeded the climax, it felt rushed and a tad confusing.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is out of early access and it is glorious. Would highly recommend to anyone with an interest in isometric RPGs or unbelievably good turn-based combat.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is out of early access and it is glorious. Would highly recommend to anyone with an interest in isometric RPGs or unbelievably good turn-based combat.

Easy for newcomers too the pick up and play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

...turn-based combat.

And i'm out! Hate turn based!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And Firewatch is currently €8.99 on GOG

I know it's the same ol' people buy basketball games every year and as someone who has bought NBA 2K every year for a loooong time, I've finally given up on them as their virtual currency microtransaction bull**** has gone way too far. Glad to see Jim Sterling and Kotaku bring it to light. 2k/Take Two are some greedy bastards. Wouldn't be surprised if Red Dead 2 is a complete online microtransaction fest with multi coloured horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

2k/Take Two are some greedy bastards. Wouldn't be surprised if Red Dead 2 is a complete online microtransaction fest with multi coloured horses.

If Red Dead has an online mode like GTA 5 then I wouldn't mind. Loads of people pay huge money for the Shark Cards, but you can still play it for free if you want.
    I don't want microtransactions in the single player game though.

I thinkg RDR 2 Online will be a great laugh but they cancelled GTA 5 single player dlc to focus on online because shark card were the way to go. I don't want the single player suffering because of it.

I don't get it.

Celebrities lose sponsors/deals because of their actions and nobody freaks out. And yet the exact same happens with video games and the internet goes crazy.

Pewdi-whatever (because I legitimately can't be arsed typing out his right name) is a c*nt. He is a racist c*nt (it's not the first time he's used this language, I believe). And he's just a c*nt.

I don't get it.

Celebrities lose sponsors/deals because of their actions and nobody freaks out. And yet the exact same happens with video games and the internet goes crazy.

Pewdi-whatever (because I legitimately can't be arsed typing out his right name) is a c*nt. He is a racist c*nt (it's not the first time he's used this language, I believe). And he's just a c*nt.

Sure racism is all the rage these days don't you know? Just pop yourself over to After Hours and get up to speed with it. He was only exercising his freedom of speech don't ya know? Not like those evil games companies who just refused to shut up and mind their business.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Sure racism is all the rage these days don't you know? Just pop yourself over to After Hours and get up to speed with it. He was only exercising his freedom of speech don't ya know? Not like those evil games companies who just refused to shut up and mind their business.

Same thing is happening over the George Hook there. There's people on there typing their support for George from underneath their desks because they're hiding from the thought police.

The recent PewDiePie debacle has be thinking i'll never be an online streamer, because i spew horrendous language, some of which would be considered racist if taken out of context. I can't help it, it's my reaction, but it's never directed at anyone in particular, or even a group. It's just words!

Granted, in his position, he should be more careful, but as boneyarsebogman stated, he's just a c*nt anyway, so it was only a matter of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

The recent PewDiePie debacle has be thinking i'll never be an online streamer, because i spew horrendous language, some of which would be considered racist if taken out of context. I can't help it, it's my reaction, but it's never directed at anyone in particular, or even a group. It's just words!

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Granted, in his position, he should be more careful, but as boneyarsebogman stated, he's just a c*nt anyway, so it was only a matter of time!

I hate the whole YouTube sensation of 'I'm not pushed on what games i play, as long as people see my stupid expressions and hear me screaming my head off. Saying that, now I really want to see Potential-Monke videos, I'd totally subscribe, like, share and donate bruh.

I just don't understand how he has eleventy-stupid subscribers. Tried watching one of his videos once and had to turn it off. The screaming, the acting like a child, and the obnoxious sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote:
    I've finally given up on them as their virtual currency microtransaction bull**** has gone way too far. Glad to see Jim Sterling and Kotaku bring it to light. 2k/Take Two are some greedy bastards. Wouldn't be surprised if Red Dead 2 is a complete online microtransaction fest with multi coloured horses.

Not 2K but aren't EA selling a special FIFA 18 Ronaldo Edition with Ultimate Team stuff 3 days ahead of the regular one. I guess its working tho
    :rolleyes:

ERG89 wrote: »
    Not 2K but aren't EA selling a special FIFA 18 Ronaldo Edition with Ultimate Team stuff 3 days ahead of the regular one. I guess its working tho

2k have been doing that for years, preorder digitally and get it 3 days early. That's something that is very annoying no matter who the dev/publisher is. If a game is ready a few days early, just ****ing release it.

I know it's the same ol' people buy basketball games every year and as someone who has bought NBA 2K every year for a loooong time, I've finally given up on them as their virtual currency microtransaction bull**** has gone way too far. Glad to see Jim Sterling and Kotaku bring it to light. 2k/Take Two are some greedy bastards. Wouldn't be surprised if Red Dead 2 is a complete online microtransaction fest with multi coloured horses.
    Putting aside the microtransactions element of this for a second, I read the Kotaku article and the author said they netted 500VC per match with his "modest skill". They then go on to say that haircuts are 1500VC and tattoos are 1000VC with, I assume, other content priced appropriately. From a balance perspective, that seems about alright, no? Every two or three games you get to unlock something new? If micro-transactions weren't there the same content would more than likely be locked behind some sort of XP system which, again balance wise, would probably unlock said content at the same rate.

So in this instance, is the problem folk have the mere existence of the purchasable VC in the game?

Nah, the uproar has been about the fact it's getting worse every year. Haircuts were free last year, now cost 1000. You can't even preview the haircut so if you don't like it, you have to buy another one. You get less and less vc every year and things go up in price. Then you have to pay for clothes, skills to rank up, tattoos, etc. then the 500 you might get from a game goes nowhere.You can unlock a shoe deal to get 50vc a game. Useless. Then you go online and most people have direct 50+ quid on vc to rank up to 85, highest you can buy, so you are **** until you grind your way up. 2k basically seeing how far they can go and I believe they can actually do a lot worse. Other forums have posts about people spending an instant 100 dollars on vc to 'be good' at the game straight away, just madness.

I know microtransactions are the norm now but there has to be a limit where the game should be free to play if it goes down that route. Anyway, as looking as people splash the cash, it won't end but it's nice to see it brought to light at least.

• Advertisement

Nah, the uproar has been about the fact it's getting worse every year. Haircuts were free last year, now cost 1000. You can't even preview the haircut so if you don't like it, you have to buy another one. You get less and less vc every year and things go up in price. Then you have to pay for clothes, skills to rank up, tattoos, etc. then the 500 you might get from a game goes nowhere.You can unlock a shoe deal to get 50vc a game. Useless. Then you go online and most people have direct 50+ quid on vc to rank up to 85, highest you can buy, so you are **** until you grind your way up. 2k basically seeing how far they can go and I believe they can actually do a lot worse. Other forums have posts about people spending an instant 100 dollars on vc to 'be good' at the game straight away, just madness.

I know microtransactions are the norm now but there has to be a limit where the game should be free to play if it goes down that route. Anyway, as looking as people splash the cash, it won't end but it's nice to see it brought to light at least.
    Hmm, so you can take your customised character online and play competitively against others who may have bought the upgrade points? Any idea how long it takes to take the base character up to the Level 85 others have paid to reach? i assume those games are ranked so your underpowered character won't be matched up against those boosted players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

ERG89 wrote: »

2k have been doing that for years, preorder digitally and get it 3 days early. That's something that is very annoying no matter who the dev/publisher is. If a game is ready a few days early, just ****ing release it.
    Agreed. MS do it as well, GoW 4 and Forza Horizon ultimate editions came out early. ****ty thing to do.
    Plus all their windows store games are very expensive to begin with.

Hmm, so you can take your customised character online and play competitively against others who may have bought the upgrade points? Any idea how long it takes to take the base character up to the Level 85 others have paid to reach? i assume those games are ranked so your underpowered character won't be matched up against those boosted players?

It takes 190k vc so about 200 games according to posters on operation sports NBA 2k forum. Apparently as a base player you miss wide open layups and turn over most passes, I.e you are **** so it's not a nice grind.

I hate the whole YouTube sensation of 'I'm not pushed on what games i play, as long as people see my stupid expressions and hear me screaming my head off. Saying that, now I really want to see Potential-Monke videos, I'd totally subscribe, like, share and donate bruh.

Yeah, if i was to do it, i'd play what i want! And there will be shouting, but it's usually just before a rage quit, and lag...

I'll let you know as soon as i'm up and running, you can be my first subscriber, i'll send you a signed photo! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Nah, the uproar has been about the fact it's getting worse every year. Haircuts were free last year, now cost 1000. You can't even preview the haircut so if you don't like it, you have to buy another one.

Kinda like a real haircut so?:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement