Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "longest, hardest high level walk" in Ireland...

• 13-05-2013 1:43pm

...was how Paddy Dillon described a proposed walk across the tops of a number of the summits in his “The Mountains of Ireland”, stretching from the east end of the Mangertons and across the Dunkerrons and the heart of South Kerry. As I live between the two ranges and have spent many great days around both, I decided I would give it a go and see if I could maybe “open up” a new walk for those who like the tough ones, albeit with some of the most spectacular scenery in the country. This one is really for those who are experienced and comfortable with long treks in remote places, a fall around here could be very serious and there are loads of perfectly good tumbling spots along the way - there are no roads through the Dunkerrons, think we met 2 walkers in the last 4 stages. I should point out that I did not try this on consecutive days, but over the past 5 weekends, most of the outings were in the 8-9 hour bracket so if anyone can do it day after day (as I know Dillon really meant in his challenge!) I doff my cap to them. I did however, of course, pick up the route at the point where I had left it, usually in cols but over the last couple of walks that meant getting back to the top of a summit reached in the previous outing, these are noted in brackets. I also did it east to west, he suggests west to east. His route has Coomcallee and An Bheann Mhor at one end, whereas I decided to complete the range with one further outing from there south west to the end of the Iveragh Peninsula. I didn’t encounter any access issues, but I am aware of some around Derrygarriff where one must stay to the south and east of the fence that leads down from the summit to the road, so would suggest that anyone trying it go to the individual summit entries on Mountainviews.ie for any news. Incidentally, the route is largely covered by Discovery Series 78 and 83 though afair the area around Crohane may require 79 too. Each stage is a 2 car outing.

Day 1 - Loo Bridge to Kenmare – Carrigawaddra, Crohane, Crohane SW Top, Bennaunmore, Stoompa East Top, Stoompa, Mangerton, Dromderalough NE Top, Dromderalough, Knockbrack

Day 2 – Kenmare to Barfinnihy Lake – Knockanaguish, Peakeen, Peakeen W Top, Derrygarriff

Day 3 – Barfinnihy Lake to Ballaghbeama Gap – Boughil, Cnoc na gCapall, Bascadh, Knocklomena, Stumpa Duloigh SE Top, Stumpa Duloigh, Stumpa Duloigh SW Top, Knockaunanattin, Knockaunanattin W Top

Day 4 – The Cloon Horseshoe – Mullaghanattin, Beann NE Top, Beann, Beann South Top, Beann SW Top, Beann Far SW Top, Sallagh, Finnararagh, Coomnacronia, Knocknagantee, Teermoyle, Coomura

Day 5 – Knocknagantee to Dromid – (Knocknagantee), Cnoc Breasail, An Bhinn Láir, Coomcathcun, Coomnahorna, Coomcallee, Beann na Stiocairi, An Bheann Mhor, Glanbeg

Day 6 – Coomcallee to the Atlantic Ocean – (Coomcallee), Esknaloughoge N Top, Esknaloughoge, Staigue NE Top, Staigue Top, Eagles Hill, Mullaghbeg, Beenrour, Cahernageeha, Farraniaragh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

A good few years ago, I looked hard at Allihies to Waterville - the circuit of the Kenmare River valley, following the ridges. Never got past looking and draft planning though :o If I'm not mistaken, did not a couple of people do this a few years ago. Vague recollection of it being reported in Mountain Log??

BTW, not sure if I'd put great store by Paddy Dillon's recommendations in Ireland - more quantity than quality perhaps..

BarryD wrote: »
    BTW, not sure if I'd put great store by Paddy Dillon's recommendations in Ireland - more quantity than quality perhaps..

Would disagree with some of his route choices, but guess as one of the first to really write about mountains here in detail I like his stuff. A great book for the route you describe is Richard Mersey's The Hills of Cork and Kerry, which is more a personal account of the writers discovery of the various ranges around here. Have walked up through Beara along the county bounds before, it's shorter but also wonderful, you can get from Hungry Hill to Knockboy in 2 outings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

That circuit of Kenmare would be some tough outing, the terrain of Beara is taxing to put it mildly. Never mind the distance and amount of ascent etc. Of course, you'd travel light, bivvy and do it as one continuous walk!

By way, what's the background of the name Dunkerron? Must admit I hadn't heard of it much before in relation to hills. Is it a barony name perhaps? Do the good people of Kerry call the hills around Mullaghanattin & Cloon, the Dunkerron Mountains or is it a label of convenience?

That circuit of Kenmare would be some tough outing, the terrain of Beara is taxing to put it mildly. Never mind the distance and amount of ascent etc. Of course, you'd travel light, bivvy and do it as one continuous walk!

Cahas are tough going alright, not the highest range but difficult terrain, again very remote, some spectacular cliffs off Hungry Hill and Knockowen/Cushnaficulla and some places like the area between Crossterry, Knockeirky and Sugarloaf are just wild.

As I live nearby, all my outings are day trips. So can travel very light, which helps.
    By way, what's the background of the name Dunkerron? Must admit I hadn't heard of it much before in relation to hills. Is it a barony name perhaps?

Remember hearing it called the Dunkerrons years ago alright, maybe a National School teacher used it. There are two baronies in Kerry carrying that name, Dunkerron North and Dunkerron South (which judging by the map below has the tops of the range as it's northern boundary), they form most of the peninsula along with Iveragh itself. There is also a Dunkerron townland and castle near Kenmare.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlker/barony.html

I know it's bumping an old thread, but there is a very good reason.

2 runners completed this route in 22 hours 27 minutes.

Their Relive makes for great viewing...especially when you see it all mapped out at the end...

https://www.facebook.com/100000684882971/videos/4281742451858542/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I know it's bumping an old thread, but there is a very good reason.

2 runners completed this route in 22 hours 27 minutes.
    Awesome! Incredible achievement.

hmmm wrote: »
    Awesome! Incredible achievement.

Here's some lovely footage.

The Dunkerrons are a fantastic range. Just ao wild and remote.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=5566593800049194

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭KevRossi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Excellent, fair play to them!

Advertisement