Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 keVo.

H96 Pro+ box the spec says 32gb micro SD max

Will a bigger card likely work?

I appreciate I can try one ,but what's he likelihood ?thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭jj880

keVo. wrote: »

Not sure but I prefer to use my PC for storage. I share a folder in Windows then stream to my X96 Max+ using Network section of VLC Player android app. Works really well.

I use VNC Server / Viewer on my PC / phone to remote into my PC also. I like to stay on my couch as much as possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

keVo. wrote: »

would have a usb u could connect to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mikey..

jj880 wrote: »
    Not sure but I prefer to use my PC for storage. I share a folder in Windows then stream to my X96 Max+ using Network section of VLC Player android app. Works really well.

I use VNC Server / Viewer on my PC / phone to remote into my PC also. I like to stay on my couch as much as possible.

Can you do this android>android app?

What's the easiest way

Mikey.. wrote: »

What's the easiest way

I dont think you can use the setup ive described above android to android.

My first thought for that is casting from your phone to android box using miracast on your box. While running miracast on android box you then enable an option in most android phones called "share wireless display". This sends your phone screen to the tv. Then just play media on your phone. As for how smooth it would be for a HD movie Im not sure but thats the only solution I know. Maybe someone else has a better android to android setup they can share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Mikey.. wrote: »

What's the easiest way
    I think, not 100% sure, this should do it. Not sure as I haven't tried it, but might be worth checking out.

Choose the folder where the recordings are and use something like autosync to automatically send it to the cloud.
    You could also try Sync.com or Owncloud, there are tons that should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Looking on spending about €60-€100 for something that will be used mainly for streaming, with possibly some casting as well from an Android phone, so thought someone here may point me in the right direction.

I'm assuming I still go for at least 4GB RAM, but wondering what else I should look for? Although the person wants one with WiFi, I'd like an ethernet port in it, in case they decide to just hardwire it to their router. Finally, a remote that can be handled by one hand is needed.

Haven't gotten a Android box in a while. How is MiniX these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

the_syco wrote: »
    Looking on spending about €60-€100 for something that will be used mainly for streaming, with possibly some casting as well from an Android phone, so thought someone here may point me in the right direction.

I'm assuming I still go for at least 4GB RAM, but wondering what else I should look for? Although the person wants one with WiFi, I'd like an ethernet port in it, in case they decide to just hardwire it to their router. Finally, a remote that can be handled by one hand is needed.

Hard to beat the Chromecast with google tv for reliability. You don't necessarily need 4gb ram. I have a Mi box S with 2gb ram/8gb storage and have never had an issue with IPTV, Netflix, amazon, YouTube and any other side loaded apps I get my hands on. All will stream in 4k which some boxes can't due to licensing issues.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/chromecast-with-google-tv-snow-10216159-pdt.html?istCompanyId=fbc6ef6d-ab18-45e3-927a-0cb677794424&istFeedId=0959f117-9faa-4499-80bd-c0265bb2950e&istItemId=immtixqxa&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQjwh_eFBhDZARIsALHjIKfhuawsaeqjTVgftiuXV6XlLMJeBLSbcJFGPTCL8GT5cfM3YMV5LYQaAhizEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,906 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

DopeTech wrote:
    Hard to beat the Chromecast with google tv for reliability. You don't necessarily need 4gb ram. I have a Mi box S with 2gb ram/8gb storage and have never had an issue with IPTV, Netflix, amazon, YouTube and any other side loaded apps I get my hands on. All will stream in 4k which some boxes can't due to licensing issues.

Haven't fully setup my chromecast, but I'm well impressed, works flawlessly over WiFi, only device I can get full speeds on to, can be bought directly from Google store also

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Haven't fully setup my chromecast, but I'm well impressed, works flawlessly over WiFi, only device I can get full speeds on to, can be bought directly from Google store also

Yep, same price too with free delivery.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/chromecast_google_tv

• Advertisement

Currys also have the chromecast for the same price, walk in and collect. It is a great device.
    But.
    If you are setting the device up for somebody else, that may need help further down the line, it (AndroidTV) doesn't allow remote support (teamviewer, anydesk etc.) which ended up being a bit of a hindrance to me.
    Other AndroidTV devices that are very good -
    The Mecool KM2 is also a great device (their first official device with Netflix support) - https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KM2-Netflix-4K-TV-BOX-459862.html
    Before July tax laws come into play, it gets in without any additional charges (or did for me) OOS at the minute.

The Jetstream/EN is currently up in price (camelx3) but is a very good device, I eventually got one after waiting for the price to drop, very responsive and handles everything as expected. https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/Engel%20TV%20EN1015K

But there are plenty still worth getting without AndroidTV for half those prices and adding a TV launcher for GUI etc. Netflix blocked the previous patched version, but not the latest which seems to be running well since April, if Netflix is a factor.
    But be mindful that it is a patched version. May stop working at any point, but may also be updated with the next etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DopeTech wrote: »

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/chromecast-with-google-tv-snow-10216159-pdt.html?istCompanyId=fbc6ef6d-ab18-45e3-927a-0cb677794424&istFeedId=0959f117-9faa-4499-80bd-c0265bb2950e&istItemId=immtixqxa&istBid=t&gclid=Cj0KCQjwh_eFBhDZARIsALHjIKfhuawsaeqjTVgftiuXV6XlLMJeBLSbcJFGPTCL8GT5cfM3YMV5LYQaAhizEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Seems the person wants to be able to watch stuff that is stored on the local HDD as well, which AFAIK without another device to cast it, Chromecast doesn't allow it to work?

Would I be right to say that all android boxes accept casting? I think the person will be mainly using it to play Netflix & RTE player from her phone, and local video files off a storage device (probably a USB HDD).

Seems the person wants to be able to watch stuff that is stored on the local HDD as well, which AFAIK without another device to cast it, Chromecast doesn't allow it to work?
    You can, but you will need to buy a USB-C hub with power enough in it. Also the drive would need to formatted to exfat or let the chromecast format it itself.

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-usb-c-hub-chromecast-google-tv

Would I be right to say that all android boxes accept casting? I think the person will be mainly using it to play Netflix & RTE player from her phone, and local video files off a storage device (probably a USB HDD).

You can mount it as network storage if it's connected to another network PC or your router.

The rte player app is officially available for Android TV works well with a d pad remote.

Google cast and Google assistant are built into Android TV

If they need usb input then the mi box s would make more sense imo.

DopeTech wrote: »
    If they need usb input then the mi box s would make more sense imo.

Mibox s only has a single USB A port, better to get a Chromecast and add a USB C hub if you need ports. The new Chromecast is newer hardware, is more powerful and gets updates from Google.

We have Mibox S in a bedroom 32" 720p TV, a Mibox in the kitchen on 1080p TV, a Mi TV and a Nvidia shield on the main TV. The Mibox S is certainly not great on a 4k TV, fine on 1080p and below. The Mi TV is only 32" 720p works very well in a child's bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Chromecast with Google TV, hard to beat it in that price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Before i order it.... anyone with a Chromecast with Google TV can confirm whether the app NLZIET (app that has all Dutch tv channels legally) can be installed on it?
    Had it running o my android box but now stops after 10 seconds. App runs fine on my phone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Nlziet app is in playstore can be downloaded ondroid tv os
    click it you get the login code to link to the website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Lads does anyone know if I can adjust the picture colours and brightness on the mecool km9 pro box directly .

The picture is very dull even though I have my TV settings set to Sport which is very Vivid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

Lads does anyone know if I can adjust the picture colours and brightness on the mecool km9 pro box directly .

The picture is very dull even though I have my TV settings set to Sport which is very Vivid.

Default picture settings on most tv's are terrible, always best to tweak them. Keep in mind that the picture is always going to be a different format and quality to that of whatever other device (e.g. Saorview, dish etc.) that you might be using. It all depends on the quality of your sources. I find it's best to adjust the settings on your telly as boxes usually have either very little settings or none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

anyone have any pointers programing a mecool km2 remote with my panisonic tv there is an option to add a device to control (tv, soundbar or av reciever) but anytime i select it i get an error saying something went wrong

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8jSMSfiYK9CKTtpz5

that a video of the error im getting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Can anybody advise what dictates if an android box will give issues or not e.g freezing ?

I have a forumeler z8 box in the bedroom and it works fine but it's expensive at around €150.

I do like that there is a cursor button on remote which works well with some apps.

I want one for IPTV based apps in kitchen tv but not sure do I need something like formuler z8 or would something cheaper do the job?

I've seen cheaper boxes on amazon etc but some have poor reviews such as freezing etc which to be fair to formuler z8 it never gives me issues.

Get a Nvidia shield or Google with Chromecast TV much better options and run official Android TV that gets support through updates and has the Google play store

Freezing could also be your supplier and completely out of your control

A lot of the cheaper boxes will do it, one of the better known ones mentioned on this thread for example.

The Formuler boxes were really better when they were the only option for something like MyTVOnline and MyTVOnline2, both have been surpassed by other players now. They are a great box, but you could get another and if needed it, a third party remote.

If you want just a cheap android box, then go for A95X F3 (use code 5KIMYAYO) , or X96 Max+ , or similar, or if you want full Netflix etc. then something like the Mecool KM2 (try code 5FMXE4VP)

They may also be available on amazon etc. I didn't check prices.

• Advertisement

A lot of people bought this the last time it was posted, and to be honest are fairly decent (especially for the price).

Paypal accepted for anyone worried about them being dodgy - https://homezesting.com/collections/mijia/products/xiaomi-mi-tv-stick-2k-hdr-hdmi-quad-core-ddr4-bluetooh-wifi-dolby-dts-hd-dual-decoding-google-assistant-netflix-android-tv-9-0

Xiaomi Mi Stick €24.99 delivered.

The Xiaomi Mi TV Stick has several DRM systems and also Google certification which allows it to have several compatible streaming options and even ChromeCast integrated. It is also certified for Netflix and all other paid services in FullHD quality.

• DRM: Google Widevine L1 / Microsoft Playready / HDCP 2.2
    • Chromecast: Compatible with all the services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone have the Mecool KM2 ?

I see it has full Netflix certification ,is it a good box and where's the best place to buy it from ?

It's approximately €62 direct from Mecool site .

Yes, I have two of them and the new Chromecast TV, and imho the Mecool is better.

They have the older interface, but won't get crammed with adverts like in the US and UK. Has ethernet and USB ports and a better remote.

I got my 2nd one from Geekbuying Germany last week for €50 delivered using code - 5MIH4WMQ

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KM2-Netflix-4K-TV-BOX-459862.html

EDIT -

I just noticed the two posts just above yours are mine, that was when I was having another look around and double checking that there wasn't any better offers around at the time. I ordered mine on the Sunday which was the 31st and it arrived last Thursday. I ordered the other in around Jan or Feb I think and it was around €65.

Getting rid of the Chromecast to my sister for €50. Great device too, but prefer these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Is the 2Gb of Ram and 8GB of storage on the MeCool KM2 a bottleneck Suckit ?

I stuck a 64GB Samsung evo plus mSD SDXC that I think I bought for over €30 🙈 and had lying around, into it as soon as I got it, for recording to. So I can't really say, but I am pretty sure there wouldn't be any issues without it. Pretty sure I configured the card when I put it in so that tivim8 is the only app using it, so I would have noticed something by now, and haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have a KM1 and even though its good spec it doesnt be a patch on my shield. In fact it recently crashed and wont go past the startup logo.

KM1 and KM2 very different. KM1 and KM9 and KM5 and others are Google Certified, and have many custom roms for them, along with patched versions of Netflix and other apps that require DRM licences.

KM2 is their first Netflix certified 4K device (after coming to an agreement) and has Android TV 10 OS installed. It has been rebranded for a couple of companies in Europe, Tesla I think are the most well known (but unsure if others bigger have), maybe Strong.

For €50, it is never going to be a Nvidia Shield (You could almost get 4 of these for the price of 1 Nvidia shield, and often can). It can handle many games, and emulationstation etc. 4K, Youtube 8K plays but my TV is only 4K so don't know what UHD plays like on a UHD TV with it.

The Nokia Streaming Box 8000 is appearing a lot, but I haven't heard anything comparing it to other devices. It's a bit more expensive than other options with similar spec and Android TV, so not sure it's for me, but maybe for somebody else, and worth watching. €96.33 delivered from amazon Germany.

Whats the best box for getting ITV and Channel 5 apart from satellite,here in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭xlogo

Can apps like plex, Kodi. Emby etc be loaded onto the Chromecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

i just cant fault the new chromecast

havent found a good source for streaming fta channels though, if anyone has?

The Chromecast as mentioned is good.

I prefer the Mecool KM2. It has USB ports, Ethernet port, nicer remote among others. Also the Chromecast has new version of Android TV which is built for adverts. I didn't notice any on mine but found out that it is using the advert placement for movies when there are no adverts. But in the UK and US many complaining and looking for a way to remove them.

Mecool KM2 is on sale for €50 at the minute from Germany - with code 5OWDN75O

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/MECOOL-KM2-Netflix-4K-TV-BOX-459862.html

was using a mecool box for a while, before it died, nice little box, might buy another

The KM2? It's not the same as the KM9 etc.. It's licenced for Netflix etc.

But yep nice.

• Advertisement

oh god no, an ouldy, m8s, twas a nice little box, worked very well for the original owner for a couple of years, iptv. i hammered the sh1te out of it for the last couple of months of its life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭.red.

Was looking to get 2 fire sticks for the kids for Christmas, pretty much just iptv and Netflix to be used on them. Figured they would be slightly tidier than a box as they'll be in bedrooms.

Amazon won't ship to Ireland but the likes of Curry's and Argos are selling them? Is it the same product or will they be slightly different with what's on them?

Any one in particular to go for?

as far as im aware, theyre more or less all the same, either retailer should be fine, how much are they going for now?

I wouldn't go for the basic one - the 4K one would have less issues. It's been a while since I checked, but I think some places still sell the basic version.

https://www.alphr.com/firestick-newest/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

This might be just what I'm looking for, last box I had was the Zidoo Z6 [I think] and it died a while back, had nothing but trouble with it tbh but that's old tech by today's standards. Just need something reliable that plays NF/Prime/YT in 1080p smoothly and a couple other apps the kids use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭.red.

It's hard to judge prices cos a lot of places are out of stock.

So far I've found a 3rd gen, HD model for €61

Or a 3rd gen, 4k model with a 2nd gen remote for €70.

Is there a better option out there? I only wanted the firestick due to the fact its hidden behind the TV but would a box be much better value for money?

4k won't be needed.

Pretty much just used for iptv, YouTube and maybe Netflix.

i cant fault the chromecast

more or less the same as firestick, but i think a bit better, but others still believe some boxes are superior

@Suckit Just want to say on here thanks for recommending the X96 MAX+ box to replace a H96 MAX that packed in on me. I have it 6 months now. Great box for 35 euro. Kodi, VLC and Plex run really well on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

From my bit of research the box I'm interested as mentioned earlier, is about the same price as the Chromecast but has many more features , Chromecast built in and a usb drive, which I like to have. It also has a better remote going on reviews

• Advertisement

might get one myself, i was well impressed with the mecool box i killed, prefer it to the chromecast tbh, find it easier to mess about with

Advertisement