Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling to the UK from Ireland

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

i will give it until June and reatriuctions will be lifted in the common travel area as in flying back to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I hope not to have to do the PCR test to get back in tho happy to quarantine for decent amount of time, doing that already really. I think only risky element is the time spent in the plane.

Garlinge wrote: »
    I hope not to have to do the PCR test to get back in tho happy to quarantine for decent amount of time, doing that already really. I think only risky element is the time spent in the plane.

you mean the least risky element, i feel safer in a place than a packed department store or supermarket, air flitration system , mandatory masks, flying is very very safe, the amount of scaremongering surrounding flying is completely devpid of any subtstance, it's miond boggling the way they have peddled this fear about flying, 25 or so flights ive taken sonce last year and never felt safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

TSQ wrote: »
    Thanks @whomitconcerns. Citizens Advice gave me a Dept of Foreign Affairs number to phone, and I was told in fact that it is better to get the test in Ireland - as long as you return within the 72 hours - because it means I won't have to self-isolate when I return.... go figure!.:D

Well, I did have to isolate after return from uk after all! On the plus, I went to a walk in test centre after 5 days and had the test result 24 hrs later so isolation only 6 days.

A word of advice: dont book a test through your GP as you could be sent anywhere (last time I did this I was sent across city to City West). Just turn up at the nearest test centre and you will be seen immediately. Even if you already have an appointment at an inconvenient centre, just go to the nearest one to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 coggy79

Did you find out if they are doing checks at Belfast Airport / seeing if your flight is essential or not? Or if anyone else has gone through Belfast Airport recently could reply that would be great :)

No checks at Belfast City Airport either departing or returning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

coggy79 wrote: »
    No checks at Belfast City Airport either departing or returning.

Again, that may be the case, but the Irish law covers this since recently, so you are still deciding to ignore the law of you do this and don't quarantine. It's not a loophole anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Squiggle03

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions for me.

A family member that lives in the UK would like to fly into Belfast next month to visit us down south. Can they put down a southern address on the passenger locate form? Would they be questioned or anything? Or has anyone done this yet?

Many thank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Squiggle03 wrote: »
    Hello,

I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions for me.

A family member that lives in the UK would like to fly into Belfast next month to visit us down south. Can they put down a southern address on the passenger locate form? Would they be questioned or anything? Or has anyone done this yet?

Many thank

They don't have to fill in the Irish passenger locator form if they choose not and they certainly are not required to do it for a flight between England and Northern Ireland as it is a UK Internal flight.

Great to see the airport quite busy the weekend, people ignoring the scaremongering and just getting on with things and flying, no isuses at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭puddle duck

If I am travelling to London mid June for a weekend and I am fully vaccinated do I need a covid test coming back into the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If I am travelling to London mid June for a weekend and I am fully vaccinated do I need a covid test coming back into the country?

Yes, as it stands.

You should check around for places to get test done and maybe book in also. Prices seem to vary and also for how quickly you want a result. You will be looking for a 'Fit to Fly' certificate.

You should check around for places to get test done and maybe book in also. Prices seem to vary and also for how quickly you want a result. You will be looking for a 'Fit to Fly' certificate.

Well... You don't need a fit to fly certificate, just a proof of any negative covid PCR test taken in the previous 72 hours. But do shop around there is a large variety of prices!

If it is a very short weekend and you will definitely be returning within 72 hours, you can get the covid test in Ireland before you go. Randox Labs have a number of test centres, I used the one on Harbour Rd, Dun Laoghaire, in and out in 5 minutes, result by email next day, and half the price of the tests in London €89 instead of £139).

If it is a very short weekend and you will definitely be returning within 72 hours, you can get the covid test in Ireland before you go. Randox Labs have a number of test centres, I used the one on Harbour Rd, Dun Laoghaire, in and out in 5 minutes, result by email next day, and half the price of the tests in London €89 instead of £139).

There's one in the airport so even handier depending on when your going etc. Not sure if they 7 days though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

The requirement for a negative PCR test if you are returning from the UK to Ireland will remain in force until August according to Varadkar. And maybe beyond that.

Seems to driven by fear of the Indian variant.

Poulgorm wrote: »
    The requirement for a negative PCR test if you are returning from the UK to Ireland will remain in force until August according to Varadkar. And maybe beyond that.

Seems to driven by fear of the Indian variant.

lunacy, im getting used to flying back via Belfast anyway.

Admin:
    User permanently banned from the forum for bragging about breaching restrictions and encouraging others to do the same (which contravenes site rules)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 carneal

hi, i need to go to a family funeral in the uk ,no date for it as yet. so will one pcr test done here cover me for travel both ways if its only an over night trip?am i then expected to quarantine for ten days on return, im classed as essential worker so cant get that long off work ? thank you

carneal wrote: »
    hi, i need to go to a family funeral in the uk ,no date for it as yet. so will one pcr test done here cover me for travel both ways if its only an over night trip?am i then expected to quarantine for ten days on return, im classed as essential worker so cant get that long off work ? thank you

Sorry for your loss.

If your return journey is within 72 hours of the test, you’d be ok. It has to be a PCR test. Ryanair, especially are very strict about the 72 hours. They have turned people away who were only a couple of hours out or had no test done.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/world-news/group-flying-dublin-airport-denied-20682194

Regarding the quarantine on return, if you have a negative test on day 5 you don’t need to quarantine any longer.

Relative has missed flight at Stanstead for Dublin this morning and only option was late tonight or tomorrow to rebook. The PCR test will be out of date by few hours tonight. I will report back how it goes!

• Advertisement

Relative has missed flight at Stanstead for Dublin this morning and only option was late tonight or tomorrow to rebook. The PCR test will be out of date by few hours tonight. I will report back how it goes!

Why would they even risk it. They won't be allowed to travel. It will be a wasted trip to the airport if they don't get a new test.

Was in good time for at airport but long Q for bag check in then gate closed. Now I see the flight left 6 minutes early. The PCR is valid until 18 30 today.

Was in good time for at airport but long Q for bag check in then gate closed. Now I see the flight left 6 minutes early. The PCR is valid until 18 30 today.

So not valid for the flight they'll actually try to get?

A few hours out. Apparently there was no 'drop bag' facility and the one Q took too long as they were also checking the covid information. General chaos with gates closed with 30 people still in the Q.

Did they get back alright?

Yes went to the wire tho.... they admitted chaos of early morn was an issue... and took a while to decide. The problem was the covid test was done Tue night and took 2 days for result to come thru so only a short window thereafter to 'use' it. So got back home after midnight and only 12 hours late! I think if normal times, there would have been a choice of more flights to Dublin over the day but on Friday there were only two and 12 hours apart.

Now she is being monitored by Irish authorities and has to present for PCR test on day 5. She is also taking lateral flow tests each day and keeping separate to others within house.

Yes went to the wire tho.... they admitted chaos of early morn was an issue... and took a while to decide. The problem was the covid test was done Tue night and took 2 days for result to come thru so only a short window thereafter to 'use' it. So got back home after midnight and only 12 hours late! I think if normal times, there would have been a choice of more flights to Dublin over the day but on Friday there were only two and 12 hours apart.

Now she is being monitored by Irish authorities and has to present for PCR test on day 5. She is also taking lateral flow tests each day and keeping separate to others within house.

Could you clarify if she travelled without having a valid PCR test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bunny1986

Hi.
    If anyone has travelled to uk recently I Would appreciate it help.
    I’m travelling to uk in 3 weeks With my two children. I do have a English passport and Both my children have Irish passports. I’m just wondering do I need to take a COVID test before travelling there or need to fill out a locator form. I’ve tried to read up best I can online but is really confusing.
    Anything would be helpful.

No you don't. Just need to test and quarantine when you come back to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Need to travel to the UK to get a Certificate of no impediment, requires appointment in local area etc. And can't be done remotely.

Is there any sign of the PCR demand being lifted between here and the UK, since I'm using the ferry, the 72 hour window is a proper pain in the arse.

• Advertisement

Bunny1986 wrote: »
    Hi.
    If anyone has travelled to uk recently I Would appreciate it help.
    I’m travelling to uk in 3 weeks With my two children. I do have a English passport and Both my children have Irish passports. I’m just wondering do I need to take a COVID test before travelling there or need to fill out a locator form. I’ve tried to read up best I can online but is really confusing.
    Anything would be helpful.

As far as UK is concerned, all of Ireland (north and south) is part of the common travel area and no need for a covid test going. However, when returning to Ireland you will need a test for yourself and possibly for the children (younger children dont need to be tested, not sure what the cut off age is, will be on the dept of foreign affairs website) .

Needless to say, since the rules keep changing you should check again before you travel, if more than a week away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 LuckyFriend

As far as UK is concerned, all of Ireland (north and south) is part of the common travel area and no need for a covid test going. However, when returning to Ireland you will need a test for yourself and possibly for the children (younger children dont need to be tested, not sure what the cut off age is, will be on the dept of foreign affairs website) .

Needless to say, since the rules keep changing you should check again before you travel, if more than a week away.

Hi wondering if you could help me,
    Im to travel soon from Glasgow to Dublin as Ireland is part of the common travel area would i be expected to present a neg pcr test entering back to Ireland? On the ryanair travel updates it mentions that there’s no requirement for a pcr test however it is required to book a test with the local gp after arrival in contrast to the gov ie website it states a pcr test is required prior to entering dublin, i dont know which to follow?

Hi wondering if you could help me,
    Im to travel soon from Glasgow to Dublin as Ireland is part of the common travel area would i be expected to present a neg pcr test entering back to Ireland? On the ryanair travel updates it mentions that there’s no requirement for a pcr test however it is required to book a test with the local gp after arrival in contrast to the gov ie website it states a pcr test is required prior to entering dublin, i dont know which to follow?
    The guidelines are very clear. You need to present a negative PCR test done in previous 72 hours on arrival to Ireland and then quarantine for 14 days. I doubt Ryanair is saying anything different than that. Have you got a link?

On a second note, the government official rules say one thing and Ryanair you claim says something different... And your unsure which to follow? Is this a wind up?

The PCR test requirement coming back in to Eire is an absolute pisser, I would like to / need to go in the next few weeks and for a three day break will need to spend on the days trying to get the ****ing test and then the next day hoping it arrives prior to getting on the ferry back.
    spoils the entire thing.
    Just abolish it and let us get on with the UK travel unhindered it's happening in the North, what is so special about the south... nothing.

The PCR test requirement coming back in to Eire is an absolute pisser, I would like to / need to go in the next few weeks and for a three day break will need to spend on the days trying to get the ****ing test and then the next day hoping it arrives prior to getting on the ferry back.
    spoils the entire thing.
    Just abolish it and let us get on with the UK travel unhindered it's happening in the North, what is so special about the south... nothing.

No need to waste time. Book the test in advance. There are many chemists doing these. Turn up, do test, off you go and enjoy your stay. Word of warning, it can take up to 36 hours for the results to come back. Just factor that into your appointment time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

spoils the entire thing.

Need? to go for a 3 day break? What about Kerry.cork is lovely to

No need to waste time. Book the test in advance. There are many chemists doing these. Turn up, do test, off you go and enjoy your stay. Word of warning, it can take up to 36 hours for the results to come back. Just factor that into your appointment time.

Its still gambling though, as it is a weekend I arrive on the Friday, would need to have the test on the Saturday and hope the results come back on the Sunday to travel back on the Monday... And all the while, by this stage i am fully vaxxed with 2 x Pfizer in my system.

Need? to go for a 3 day break? What about Kerry.cork is lovely to

Lol... no chance.

I need to go "home"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Am I right in thinking you can fly from Belfast to Spain and back again without any need for testing? Is it dependent on the airline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Playmobil

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I have family members (from the UK) coming to see us in a few weeks. They know about the necessity of negative PCR tests before arrival and they will comply with all that.

They are worried about the quarantine requirements. My question is: are they allowed quarantine / self isolate in our home, when we will be in our home as well? Or do they have to stay somewhere where they will be on their own?

Both they and we are fully are fully vaccinated, so I have no fear of them staying with us.

If they have to self isolate on their own, there is no point in them coming for a week.

If they are isolating in your home, so are you, unless they are in their own section! Officially anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Joshk92

I am travelling back to the UK on Friday from Shannon has anyone been from there recently?

With regards to essential travel, I have a vaccine booked for that Friday in UK but unsure whether that would fall under the ‘medical appointment’ exemption.

I would be very grateful for any tips from anyone who’s made the trip there and then back to Ireland recently

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭patscott27

Joshk92 wrote: »
    I am travelling back to the UK on Friday from Shannon has anyone been from there recently?

With regards to essential travel, I have a vaccine booked for that Friday in UK but unsure whether that would fall under the ‘medical appointment’ exemption.

I would be very grateful for any tips from anyone who’s made the trip there and then back to Ireland recently
    Yes that would be fine. Just have any digital or paper proof with you in case the guards ask to see them. You do know you will have to quarantine when returning if flying back into Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Eli1

Need some advice here please: I am
    Booked to visit UK for 3 nights, fly back for 1 day and then booked to fly back again for 3 nights and and then home to Ireland.
    Will there be problems as will only have done 1 day quarantine before next trip?

• Advertisement

Well you'll need 2 negative PCR tests, one for each trip, to come back into Ireland. But other than that no issue. You can't quarantine if your leaving the country (Ireland) and you don't have to quarantine in England. So expensive, yes, but doable

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Eli1

Well you'll need 2 negative PCR tests, one for each trip, to come back into Ireland. But other than that no issue. You can't quarantine if your leaving the country (Ireland) and you don't have to quarantine in England. So expensive, yes, but doable

Ok Thanks so much for that

I am just back from some time in UK.

1. going there was just as usual apart from deserted airport and most units closed or boarded over and a garda presence on approach ramp to main entrance.

2 Return was more tricky. You need to do a PCR test in time for a result to be back and still valid for flight time. I used Boots at £85 and received an email notification in about 18 hrs with link to a document with of negative test. A day or so before travel I filled out a 'locator form'. At the boarding gate, I needed to show the PCR test result as well as usual passport and boarding card. In Dublin Queues were slow at passport control with the automatic checks not in use. Each person took longer and needed to show locator form and evidence of PCR test as well as passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Thanks Garlinge

Out of curiosity how long did it take to get through passport control?

NOt too long as not so many people arriving and plenty of booths open, maybe 15 minutes. A bit of confusion with some with 'Dunta' displayed to confuse non Irish and Eu and non Eu seemed to be mixed up at final Q tho separated initially. Yes each person took longer as noone seemed to have all three documents ready for inspection. I had thought just passport and locater form as per a previous return trip... I had to dig up the PCR result notification and pull up link to cert. An announcement of same as people Q'ed might have been helpful!

• Advertisement
Advertisement