Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Decline Of Cavan and Down

• 13-06-2021 6:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭

Both these counties are the two must successful in Ulster historically. Both have five all Irelands to their name, and Cavan have forty Ulster titles to Downs twelve Ulster titles. Down haven't won an Ulster title since their last all Ireland win in 1994. What do Down fans think is the reason for the countys barren run? Down have been in a few Ulster finals in that time, without getting over the line to be fair. They were in an all Ireland final eleven years ago as well. Of course Ulster is a very competitive championship, i suppose that would have a lot to do with it?

Cavan though are the county with the strongest tradition in Ulster. They are the only County to win an all Ireland outside of irish shores. With the exception of 1946, they won every other Ulster final in the 40's. They were winning Ulster titles consistently throughout the 50's and 60's as well. But Cavan have only won two Ulster titles since 1969. I find Cavans demise to be more puzzling. Of course they won an Ulster title last year, but i just find it amazing that a county with such a strong history and tradition of success, has only won two Ulster titles in the last fifty one years.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭cms88

From waht i know Cavan were playing in the championship from almost the very start when other Ulster counties weren't and there was no Ulster championship for a few years early on as as well.

I also think being hear the border helped him in some ways as a lot, as far a i know, of their players in the 30s/40s were in the Army and guards so wouldn't have had to leave for work etc Monaghan were alos quite strong during that time for maybe the same reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Cavan's population has declined relative to the others, at least until recently.
    Down played in the AI final 11 years ago, something only one Leinster county and one Connacht county has managed in two decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

Cavan had a big advantage in those early Ulster titles win. The book on Charlie Gallagher said Cavan hardly trained before any of the Ulster wins ,and only took it serious coming into the All Ireland. The Northern teams started to become strong in the 60s when they got the school structure right and started winning McCrory Cups.
    Cavan have just 5 All Irelands from all those Ulster wins, which shows Ulster wasn't very strong.,

Advertisement