Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single room MHRV - suitable for bedroom?

Options
  • 11-06-2021 12:24pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My partner will not open windows unless its warm outside, no point trying, which means that the bathroom, master bedroom, and room with the aquarium in it are all suffering from black mould growth in corners / behind furniture.

I'm looking at putting a single room MHRV unit in the fish-room (and a more normal humidistat fan in the bathroom); but I don't see anyone recommending these for bedrooms anywhere - I'd presume due to noise. Or is there another reason?

If its just noise, I can get a timered one and just set it to run from 1000 to 2200 and that'll solve that problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭odoliam

Won't go near the can of worms of being ok with black mold but refusing to ventilate the place....:eek:
    maybe some googling on the health dangers of this might encourage........

I'd suggest at least 1 dehumidifier, maybe 1 per room - need to dry it out
    If you just ventilate without drying, you may spread the damp (and mold spores) everywhere....so I'd go with the dehumidifier and also make sure to clean off the mold.
    However this will be noisy and require on-going maintenance (emptying, cleaning)

You would do well to add humidity triggered ventilation ports to each room as a long term fix - they're being added to lots of houses as part of energy retrofits - as the house is made air-tight to prevent heat loss, the risk of increased humidity/mold increases, so counterintuitively (at first), after it is sealed up you then have to ventilate them!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The attitude is "well, fix the house so we don't need to open the windows". Rather forgetting that we live in Ireland and this is basically what you do in houses. And yes, they are Irish.

Drying out properly is definitely intended; but its not a long-term fix in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Do you have permanently open wall vents in each of the affected rooms?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, but the external metal salt type that doesn't help much

L1011 wrote: »
    Yes, but the external metal salt type that doesn't help much

Salt?

• Advertisement

Slat. Phone autocorrect. Now that I'm on the PC...

They're all sewer pipe (160mm?) through the cavity block with a fairly tightly slatted metal vent on the outside and either fixed slatted or sliding-cover slatted plastic vents on the inside. Bog all ventilation through them but they're there and not blocked.

You might consider powered trickle extraction from the wet rooms (bathroom and aquarium - I assume nobody sleeps in that room) and then undercutting the doors so that fresh air is being pulled in through the master bedroom passive wall vent.

The slats (provided that they're open) will not stop air movement driven by a pressure differential.

Nobody sleeps in the room with the aquarium, its mostly storage but may be used as an office along with the aquarium (its quite small - not some full wall sized yoke, but tropical and hence generates warm moist air)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

L1011 wrote: »
    Nobody sleeps in the room with the aquarium, its mostly storage but may be used as an office along with the aquarium (its quite small - not some full wall sized yoke, but tropical and hence generates warm moist air)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7RMKq8RQj4

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement