Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 weeks away - what to do with cats

Options
  • 09-06-2021 2:59pm

I am considering getting a couple of cats but want to make sure I have all the boxes ticked before I take an animal into my care.

I live in Dublin and at times will be out of the country for 2 or 3 weeks once or twice a year.

Assuming I can't get someone to check on 2 cats each day I am away what would be a good solution to this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

In short yes but keep in mind they would need to feed them, replace water, clean the toilets, play and pet them (if they allow it, all down to cats view of a person) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

whatnow! wrote: »

I live in Dublin and at times will be out of the country for 2 or 3 weeks once or twice a year.

Assuming I can't get someone to check on 2 cats each day I am away what would be a good solution to this?

Best solution is to not get pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NoIdea99

I am considering getting a couple of cats but want to make sure I have all the boxes ticked before I take an animal into my care.

Thanks.

Put them in a Caffery and pay for boarding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Can you get someone to housesit and catsit while you are away?

Maybe someone would like a change of scenery and a couple of weeks in Dublin. I used to do it for inlaws and was nice to stay in the city, kind of like being on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Mimon wrote: »
    Can you get someone to housesit and catsit while you are away?

Maybe someone would like a change of scenery and a couple of weeks in Dublin. I used to do it for inlaws and was nice to stay in the city, kind of like being on holidays.

That's what I did just this past weekend. Sister came and had a wee retreat for herself at mine and she really enjoyed it. When I said for my next break I'd ask the neighbours to pop round, she was a bit put out! So if you do have someone you trust that's the option I'd go with. I don't think my cat would get over the change of going to a cattery for ages so it'd be a last resort.

• Advertisement

It is not a guaranteed solution each time I will leave for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

There are definitely house/pet sitters available in Dublin. It’s an extra cost if you don’t have someone you can ask to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What's wrong with putting them in a cattery? Our two used to love going on their holidays, it was difficult sometimes to get them back in to their carry boxes to take them home afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Pet sitters are a fairly common thing these days. My sister pays a lady when she's away who comes around twice a day to feed her cats, play with them and keep their litter clean.
    Or check with vets who may offer cattery services. Both vets I've been with had catteries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Alun wrote: »
    What's wrong with putting them in a cattery? Our two used to love going on their holidays, it was difficult sometimes to get them back in to their carry boxes to take them home afterwards.
    Depends on the cat, a friend had a cat going into a cattery and it came out mentally scarred for life from it panicking badly just from seeing the carrier. I've had a cat in cattery as well due to the need for medication twice a day and every time she got more hostile to be there (and she was used to have random cats around her as we were a foster family).

• Advertisement

Thanks.

There are "catteries" who will look after your cat while you can't. I know someone around the Kilbarrack/Sutton area if you need a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Ask one of the neighbours to put out milk and food in the yard 3 times a day for it, and you can return the favour when they go away,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Ask one of the neighbours to put out milk and food in the yard 3 times a day for it, and you can return the favour when they go away,

Three times a day? Great neighbours you have!

IME if you have outdoor cats (with access to indoors too of course) once a day is loads as long as it's only while you're away. I wouldn't feed my own cat less than twice a day, but for holidays once a day has always been fine. I'd usually only feed a kitten more than twice a day (exceptions made for pregnant or nursing cats), but maybe three times is better, I don't know.

Still, I don't think I'd ask neighbours to do more than once a day unless it was children that I was paying to look after the cat(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

A lot of vets board cats - mine does and they move them to different spots around the practice so they get interaction/attention (if they want it!). We’ve often had cat spectators at appointments lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Hi OP

I have five cats and I've always opted for a pet sitter because it actually works out cheaper when there are that many! Also, depending on the cat, it might be less stressful than going to a cattery, and saves you the transportation journey.

Many pet sitters will also provide services like bringing in your post, leaving a light on at night etc. Just the usual stuff to make it less obvious that the house is unoccupied. The pet sitter we use is fantastic, and will do either two daily visits or one visit for several hours during the day, depending on needs.

I'm sure you will vaccinate anyway but I'd recommend having vaccinations up to date so that if you needed to book them in somewhere at short notice, you would have that option.

2-3 times a year isn't that much to be away from them in fairness, and they can be great company for each other.

I believe cats are lactose intolerant and should not be given milk.

I don't know people who have the time to be a cat sitter and I'm not liking the idea of having a stranger come to my house when I am not there.

I wasn't sure about these large cattery operations as the cat might not take well to it from stories I have heard but the vets that run these might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Milk is not good for Cats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I send my three to a Cattery, they’ve gone twice now. I was really nervous sending them because two of them were 10 the first time they went but there was nothing to worry about. It took a couple of days to settle in but after that they loved it. The second time they went in they settled straight away, we let them out of their carriers and they went straight into their room from the last time and up onto their beds :D
    It’s all about finding the right place. Don’t be afraid to go and visit the place first to get a feel for it before booking in. I went to see a couple of places that were literally cages in a shed, and the people didn’t seem overly confident with cats so there was no way we would use them. The place we send them to now is purpose built, has all the mod cons, they have access to an enclosed outdoor space and there’s even webcams in the individual cat rooms so you can check in on them while you’re away. Look up the ibkca website for an idea of registered places too!

Edited to add, another advantage to a Cattery is that two of my cats are on daily medication twice a day and it’s a great peace of mind knowing they’re getting what they need. And picture updates are great too :D

Advertisement