Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old appliances and electrical costs

Options
  • 09-06-2021 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if older appliance use up so much more electricity then newer one. E.g. a 15 year old fridge versus a new one or a microwave oven that is hitting 20 years old.

just thinking environmentally also. is it better to keep or replace.

Any subject matter experts on here for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yes, new appliances cost less to run.
    You need to factor the costs of buying a new appliance vs the cost of keeping.

If your old fridge costs you an extra €10 a year, then it's probably better to keep it until it dies than to pay €300 for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Yes, new appliances cost less to run.
    You need to factor the costs of buying a new appliance vs the cost of keeping.

If your old fridge costs you an extra €10 a year, then it's probably better to keep it until it dies than to pay €300 for a new one.

yep that is exactly the thing I am trying to assess. Old fridge is bound to be costly.. but not sure how costly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The most important energy factor for a fridge is the door seal, which could potentially be an issue after 15 years.
    A basic test is to see if it grips a piece of paper all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

https://www.seai.ie/home-energy/energy-labelling-and-ecodesign/energy-labelling/

A new fridge is going to use maybe s as third of the energy of an old one.

If you suspect your fridge is dying you need to replace it before it goes kaput. Get a fridge thermometer if in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭phormium

Probably but not a reason to get rid of a working old one in my opinion, any of the old appliances I have replaced in recent years have been replaced with flimsier models I think, they were cheaper obviously but no better!

I replaced a 30 yr old freezer few years back as I felt it was icing up a bit too much and I imagined it could be costing a lot to run, couldn't get a new seal for it, anyway the new version ices up even worse, 3 times I had guy out to look at it and he says it's not more than normal but my ancient one was better! Didn't notice any obvious change in electricity bill either so I don't think the amount is worth changing for.

My microwave is 35 yrs if it's a day and works perfectly, cost over 500 old quid back in the day, very fancy one but as with most people I only use a few settings (bought it with someone in mind who hadn't a clue how to cook or heat up stuff and the microwave automatically works out timings for those people :) ) I will not be getting rid of it until it stops working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

https://www.seai.ie/home-energy/energy-labelling-and-ecodesign/energy-labelling/

A new fridge is going to use maybe s as third of the energy of an old one.

If you suspect your fridge is dying you need to replace it before it goes kaput. Get a fridge thermometer if in doubt.

Bit of a loaded statement, given the range of efficiencies available and the vagueness of the OP.

Advertisement